Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog in the MLL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:39 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by pkfk13
If I need need to take along an emotional support bottle of Laphroig I wonder if I can put a red cover on it and - problem solved !
That or a prescription...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I would have started quoting from that old Purina ad, one of my favorites. I particularly like the 'Winston Churchill' bulldog; 'This is Dog Chow's finest hour'
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ridefar
In this case, it is a simple answer: it is a health code violation. Love, or hate, for dogs (or cats) doesn't matter. Allergies don't matter. The lounge staff should have just made the request once and then called airport security and told her she wouldn't be allowed to fly. Simple. It isn't personal, it isn't based on somebody's feelings, it doesn't matter if she is the most responsible dog owner in the world. If it isn't a service animal, it isn't allowed. Done.

THANK YOU!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
In this case, it is a simple answer: it is a health code violation. Love, or hate, for dogs (or cats) doesn't matter. Allergies don't matter. The lounge staff should have just made the request once and then called airport security and told her she wouldn't be allowed to fly. Simple. It isn't personal, it isn't based on somebody's feelings, it doesn't matter if she is the most responsible dog owner in the world. If it isn't a service animal, it isn't allowed. Done.
I completely agree with this but all the arguments about hygiene and allergy standards still go down the pan once you allow even service animals.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
We (Left and Right) are firm believers that chocolate is best for emotional support.

That said, I stated in my opening post that she was told by the lounge attendants to put the dog in the carrier. She refused.

Also I agree that many humans are much dirtier than many animals but public places eg restaurants are subject to health code regulations that private homes are not.

BTW, I spoke with a number of cabin crew on recent flights re this issue and none of them are happy with pets, pigs, donkeys etc in the cabin. Also heard that one dog got loose and ran through the cabin. Fun for all.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I completely agree with this but all the arguments about hygiene and allergy standards still go down the pan once you allow even service animals.
I'd like to chime in here. Anyone who is allergic to dogs has an immune response to the animal. I wouldn't call myself allergic as I don't...die - so let's just say, for argument's sake as some on here disagree with the immune response that some of us have, that I have a sensitivity to dogs. (Fair?)

Now, because I don't die, there are things that I can do to mitigate the biological responses that our 4 legged friends cause. Do they mitigate all of them? No, but they make it less painful. I am, and I don't think any people here disagree with me, happy/proud/would welcome the slight inconvenience it would cause if the animal served a purpose to someone who needs the animal to...well, survive in some cases.

My inconvenience for their mobility/quality of life - ok, definitely willing to suffer. Woofie, the 4 legged friend of the family whose owner is not following the rules. Well, I have an issue with woofie, because woofie is causing me to have a bad day and is, in my opinion, not essential to that person's survivability. I'm sure it's a loving member of the family blah blah, but there's a key difference.

To those that say to mind their own business, well, I can't, my body doesn't let me. I find it selfish in the case of people who let their pets run free. Why don't I return the favor, if you're selfish (not directing this at anyone) and you (again, not directed at you) don't care about my sensitivities, would you mind if I blew my nose on top of your dog? Or even better, you? You'd be inconv. me, i'd return the favor. (gosh I hope humankind never gets to this point)

Anyways, I think that service animals are completely different than just "the friendly pet". That's my point, no hostility intended, just my Canadian $0.02, ever being devalued more and more vs the USD.

PS I love penguins (duhh). If I could, I'd have one follow me around all day, and I wouldn't take it to the PP, I'd take it to the MLL. I'd let it run wild and let it squawk all day, while it poops on everyone. Doesn't that sound selfish? It sure does to me. I mean, who would want a penguin caged? That'd make me a sad penguin

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jan 16, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Forgive me for taking a contrary view.

The underlying premise (that this is a pet or a "fake" service animal) is a large assumption. As an uninterested observer I cannot know. Further, I cannot say that the subject of this photo has not made the proper arrangements and is not acting within her rights.

Irrespective of that, unless the animal was drinking my beer, why would I care to intervene. These things are between the passenger concerned and the airline.

If I have my own disability (such as an animal allergy), it's my responsibility to inform the airline with some confidence that I'll be accommodated. AC, while far from perfect, is better than most with this.

As a passenger, if I want the airline to insulate me from others who merely irritate my sensibilities (pets, children, drunks, tea-totalers, hippies, or whatever) then I'm clearly unsuited to anything other than private aviation.

I frequently accompany a person with a disability in public. I am often stunned at the assumptions people make and the insensitive or outright mean comments they feel entitled to direct at me and my companion.

My advice is say "nice dog, enjoy your flight." You'll feel a better person for doing so.
Right!!! And I guess you would feel the same way sitting next to a dog, especially if it barked continuously, maybe licking your face.

I like dogs and have one but would never think of inflicting my dog on anyone.

I wonder if you ...BlueMilk...would feel the same way if this "lady" brought her pet snake on board. Using your logic, no difference in how you react.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
We (Left and Right) are firm believers that chocolate is best for emotional support.

That said, I stated in my opening post that she was told by the lounge attendants to put the dog in the carrier. She refused.

Also I agree that many humans are much dirtier than many animals but public places eg restaurants are subject to health code regulations that private homes are not.

BTW, I spoke with a number of cabin crew on recent flights re this issue and none of them are happy with pets, pigs, donkeys etc in the cabin. Also heard that one dog got loose and ran through the cabin. Fun for all.
Yes. I don't understand the successful imperialism of... let's call them pet lovers, or maybe abusive pet lovers.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by pmaclell
Right!!! And I guess you would feel the same way sitting next to a dog, especially if it barked continuously, maybe licking your face.

I like dogs and have one but would never think of inflicting my dog on anyone.

I wonder if you ...BlueMilk...would feel the same way if this "lady" brought her pet snake on board. Using your logic, no difference in how you react.
I've travelled with all sorts.

You are correct to call me out though...I'd object to most creatures licking my face during a flight. Though, to be honest, I'm more likely to tolerate a dog doing so than a human.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:20 am

Right. No need to go further. But a precision: emotional support dogs are not service dogs. They are creatures of pet lovers' lobbying.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it looks like this thread is still going on?

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 17, 2015 at 8:06 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:46 am

Dogs in MLL??

Im sitting in the MLL and see a average size lap dog wondering around right near the food,however I will say at least the dog is on a leash. Is this allowed?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YLWflyer
Im sitting in the MLL and see a average size lap dog wondering around right near the food,however I will say at least the dog is on a leash. Is this allowed?
Preusmably it is as it got past the entry dragons. I'm assuming it's a support animal of some sort, for a disability or emotional.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:49 am

What lounge? Regulations could depend to a point on location.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Now I'm absolutely peeved my comfort camel wasn't allowed into any MLLs on my recent travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.