Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Well, I've been giving post 10,000 quite a bit of thought. Thought maybe I'd attempt to post something funny (then realized I would fail at that completely), thought maybe I'd post something about my FT journey (and then realized that I'd bore everyone), and so I thought to myself, what do I really want to say for my 10,000 post? Well this (from the bottom of my heart):

I wanted to simply say "thank you" to all of you. I've had the pleasure of meeting some of you in the air, at Dos, all over this great country. FT is like a second home to me and all of you truly mean the world to me! I've learned so much and will continue learning! ^@:-)

Cheers all! ^
You should've started your own 10Kth post thread!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mrs.sap
Congrats. Can I have you back now?
No, sorry, he's ours. Either that, or we'll do an intervention by kidnapping him and flying him somewhere in J on a 789
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't roll like that. It's a "title" on an IBB. (for all intents and purposes, it's a stupid thing to even think about, hence my post on the forum lounge thread). If I had made my 10K post in any other thread, people may have cluttered up the thread, hence my decision to post it here. But me hitting 10K posts is not worthy of a thread. It offers no value because it's just SAP to be frank. IMHO.

No, sorry, he's ours. Either that, or we'll do an intervention by kidnapping him and flying him somewhere in J on a 789
Hahahaha! I really hope she's asleep by now And if you're paying for it, yeah I'm down. Haven't been on the 789 yet

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Aug 5, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can I get in on this?

I'm happy to join either as a kidnapper or a victim
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: *$ Green
In real life, he's a suprehumblepenguin.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Lets say that a post consists of (99%) reading some prior posts, thinking very briefly about them, writing a reply and proofing it. Lets say that one then reads then next few replies but since there are more than just a few, if choosing to post again this entire cycle starts again.

Very conservatively:

120 seconds reading prior posts
30 seconds thinking about what to reply
60 seconds composing and proofing reply
60 seconds reading a few follow up replies

= 270 seconds x 10,000 posts

= 2.7 million seconds

= 750 hours

= 31.25 days

Note: this does not count private messages nor email
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
Lets say that a post consists of (99%) reading some prior posts, thinking very briefly about them, writing a reply and proofing it. Lets say that one then reads then next few replies but since there are more than just a few, if choosing to post again this entire cycle starts again.

Very conservatively:

120 seconds reading prior posts
30 seconds thinking about what to reply
60 seconds composing and proofing reply
60 seconds reading a few follow up replies

= 270 seconds x 10,000 posts

= 2.7 million seconds

= 750 hours

= 31.25 days

Note: this does not count private messages nor email
When I was commuting on a bus for 2.5 hours/day (which I did for 18 months), I was easily spending 90 minutes a day on FT

Nowadays, I have the TV on, and I browse FT when I'm not paying full attention. Or when my code's compiling at work . There are lots of ways to spend "a lot of time" on FT without actually sitting here for 6 hours/day on FT.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow
When I was commuting on a bus for 2.5 hours/day (which I did for 18 months), I was easily spending 90 minutes a day on FT

Nowadays, I have the TV on, and I browse FT when I'm not paying full attention. Or when my code's compiling at work . There are lots of ways to spend "a lot of time" on FT without actually sitting here for 6 hours/day on FT.
Obviously....

That being said, that time could have been used for other tasks:

- writing love notes to your wife or girlfriend
- catching up with your mom on Skype
- making a list of life goals
- starting on an autobiography
- reading non-fiction
- etc.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Congrats SAP!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: *$ Green
Obviously....

- reading non-fiction
- etc.
Yeah, yeah. Blah blah blah.

I could also be cleaning up my house right now, but I'm not.

PS: it's usually a bad thing to mention other people's relatives though, as you never know if they have passed away or not. It can make for some pretty awkward situations.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Yeah, yeah. Blah blah blah.

I could also be cleaning up my house right now, but I'm not.

PS: it's usually a bad thing to mention other people's relatives though, as you never know if they have passed away or not. It can make for some pretty awkward situations.
The list wasn't directed at any one person.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Obviously....

- reading non-fiction
- etc.
Writing love notes?? Who does that??

(kidding). Well I am married now so.......
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Elizabeth May must be smoking pot. A balanced budget is not important???

WHAT?? This Federal Election debate is driving me nuts. I may just throw an axe into my TV.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

WHAT?? This Federal Election debate is driving me nuts. I may just throw an axe into my TV.
It actually isn't that important. Running a deficit is not that bad. :P

I'd rather raise taxes on the rich and corporations, increase science and education and health spending.

I'm watching the republican debate though, it's so much more hilarious
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Is that in reference to his marathon posting session yesterday to hit the 10K mark or in a more permanent sense?

I don't roll like that. It's a "title" on an IBB. (for all intents and purposes, it's a stupid thing to even think about, hence my post on the forum lounge thread). If I had made my 10K post in any other thread, people may have cluttered up the thread, hence my decision to post it here. But me hitting 10K posts is not worthy of a thread. It offers no value because it's just SAP to be frank. IMHO.
^ A classy and appropriate decision.

Not to get into the politics of it, but as an economist, she's right. Balanced budgets are not important. They're somewhat of a fixation in this country after our crisis in the mid-90s. What's important is how the government spends the money it does collect, how it adjusts its spending throughout the economic cycle and the stock of debt, and its servicing cost, relative to GDP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.