Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: asovse1
Suggested format for a wiki containing a quick summary of what's available and when at the various MLLs...

Summary of Meal Offerings and Times at MLLs

YYZ Domestic
Breakfast: 05:15 AM - 10:30 AM; (as of March 2018) oatmeal, yogurts, scrambled eggs, sausages, hash browns, bread, jam etc. As of Nov/Dec 2018: the usual oatmeal yogurt, bread, bananas, sometimes watermelon, cheese omelette, some sort of meat (e.g. sausage), some sort of roasted potato (from frozen)
Lunch: 11:00 AM - y:yy PM; 2 soups, small salad/vegetable offering (e.g. potato salad, kale and cranberry salad, edamame beans), margarita pizza (starting at 11:30), cookies, fruit
Dinner: x:xx PM - y:yy PM; quick description of food offerings
Outside meal times: tortillas, salsa, cookies, soups. PHOTOS
Alcohol available: 11:00 AM - y:yy PM/AM

YYZ Transborder
Breakfast: x:xx AM - y:yy AM; quick description of food offerings
Lunch: x:xx AM - y:yy PM; quick description of food offerings
Outside meal times: quick description of food offerings

YYZ International
Breakfast: x:xx AM - y:yy AM; quick description of food offerings
Lunch: x:xx AM - y:yy PM; See this post for photos https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30073984-post2600.html Note that the last photos posted for this MLL were Aug 2018

YVR Domestic
Breakfast: 07:00 AM - 9:30 AM; (as of July 2018), sausages, scrambled eggs, potato cakes, oatmeal, yogurts, bananas, bread, jam etc
Lunch: 11:00 AM - 2:00?? PM; pizza (limited time, usually replenished no more than twice), salads (chips are pulled) ended ~2pm today, but seems abnormal -eb 2018Jun20
Dinner:6:00 PM - 6:45 PM; macaron with crushed tomato sauce, sprinkled lightly with shredded white cheese and a few basil leaves
Outside meal times: tortillas, salsa of hummus (not both at same time), cookies; pretzels from 3:00 PM until 4:30 PM
Alcohol available: 11:00 AM - at least 10:00 PM

YVR Transborder
Breakfast: ??:?? AM - ??:?? AM; quick description of food offerings
Lunch: 11:00 AM - y:yy PM; quick description of food offerings

YVR International
Breakfast: ??:?? AM - 10:30 AM; (as of March 2018), oatmeal, scrambled eggs, cantaloupe, croissant/danish. PHOTOS and more PHOTOS
Lunch: 11:00 AM - y:yy PM; similar to YUL international, salads, veggies, hot pasta dish
Outside meal times: PHOTOS from pre-late night departures

YUL Domestic
Breakfast: x:xx PM - y:yy PM; quick description of food offerings
Alcohol available: ??:?? - y:yy PM/AM

YUL Transborder
Dinner: x:xx PM - y:yy PM; quick description of food offerings. PHOTOS of pasta

YUL International
Lunch: 11:15 AM - y:yy PM; pizza, 3 different salads, raw veggies plus around 11:30, chef was making pasta with garlic and shrimp
Outside meal times: tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, cookies, fruit salad, other salads, soups. PHOTOS

YYC
Breakfast: ??:?? AM - ??:?? AM; muffins, fruit, yogurt, toast (with various spreads)
Lunch: ~11:30 AM - 1:30 PM; pizza, soup, chilli; Mon beef roast + sides
Dinner: ~4:30 PM - 6:30 PM; skillit, veggies, rice, Chilli, soup
Outside meal times: ???

LAX
Breakfast: 05:15 AM - 10:30 AM; (as of March 2018) oatmeal, cold hard boiled eggs, yogurt, bread, jam etc
Lunch: 11:00 AM - y:yy PM; 2 soups, small salad/vegetable offering (potato salad, kale and cranberry salad, edamame beans), nachos, salsa, sour cream, cookies, fruit
Outside meal times: tortillas, salsa, cookies, soups.
Alcohol available: 6:00 AM - 9:30 PM

etc...
Print Wikipost

AC lounge food

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
AC lounge food

Hello all!

I know AC lounge food has improved for some of you who are able to eat it, but why is AC lounge food so terrible when it comes to hot meals?

I know I avoid MLL's like the plague in lieu of AMEX lounges. But why is it not possible to have decent hot food in the MLL's (a la not including breakfast). When I was flying BR, I had a ton of different western/asian options for food (congee, dim sum, hot dogs, pasta and more). Inside MLL's, the only thing I do is drink, because I can't eat anything and because I have a problem. (although I wish I could eat anything hot!...)

Thoughts?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Here are my thoughts:

- considering I spent waaaaaaaaaaaay too much of my life (especially the past three? four? years) in Eewnited clubs where the only "hot" food is self-serve toast/bagel in the morning, I'm pretty OK with the AC MLL hot food

Come to think of it, when it comes to domestic and transborder, the only "hot" food is oatmeal and soup right?

- donno what's so exciting about the amex lounges in canada; none of the plaza premiums excite me (i've tried YYZ domestic, YYZ tb, and YVR tb). Hopefully some day .... one day .... the plaza premiums will be as good as e.g. SFO T3 Centurion lounge

- BR has some relatively bad lounges too, like SFO Int'l G. Never been to the BR TPE lounge, but the food choices at BR SFO is nowhere close to what I would imagine it to be at TPE. But I still prefer it over AC MLL (donno why, maybe because it's my heritage?)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by maradori
Here are my thoughts:

- considering I spent waaaaaaaaaaaay too much of my life (especially the past three? four? years) in Eewnited clubs where the only "hot" food is self-serve toast/bagel in the morning, I'm pretty OK with the AC MLL hot food

Come to think of it, when it comes to domestic and transborder, the only "hot" food is oatmeal and soup right?

- donno what's so exciting about the amex lounges in canada; none of the plaza premiums excite me (i've tried YYZ domestic, YYZ tb, and YVR tb). Hopefully some day .... one day .... the plaza premiums will be as good as e.g. SFO T3 Centurion lounge

- BR has some relatively bad lounges too, like SFO Int'l G. Never been to the BR TPE lounge, but the food choices at BR SFO is nowhere close to what I would imagine it to be at TPE. But I still prefer it over AC MLL (donno why, maybe because it's my heritage?)
Thank you for your post. I choose not to compare AC with UA, as they choose to compare themselves with the CX's of the world. (cue Altitude).

United clubs should be free, based on the crap they offer. The AMEX lounge in YYZ (again, sorry I'm not in YVR that often) always have 2 hot entrees. (TB, domestic)

As far as the BR lounge in SFO, I've never been, but the BR lounge in TPE (I realize this is its main hub), is awesome...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:20 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
All MLLs do have two kind of hot soup, you could make a meal with it if you add some bread and salad. Domestic MLLs serve pastas and flatbread which is filling at least. I've seen spring rolls and mini quiche at International MLL in YUL. All of which aren't gourmet, but is decent enough in my opinion. The varieties can't be compared against the likes of BR, TK, SQ, but it is still way ahead of its North American competitors (United club has NO hot food at all and Fters over there ask why cant UC be like MLL, although Skyclubs is catching up with their new menu)

It just all boils down to cost I guess. Perhaps AC can improve its catering at International MLLs since AC wants to compare itself against premium airlines long haul.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m.y

It just all boils down to cost I guess. Perhaps AC can improve its catering at International MLLs since AC wants to compare itself against premium airlines long haul.
Thank you for making my point At the very least intl' MLL's have a way to go.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The soup is usually ok in the MLL, if it's a fresh batch. I rarely fly AC when the hot food is available in the lounge so I'm not in a position to fairly comment. Of the few opportunities I have had, my connections were tight so no Int'l MLL for me, although in the past year, the selection on my TATL trips looked like a horde of famished waifs had cleaned everything out. I only experienced the breakfast option once this year and many of the guests behaved as if they hadn't eaten in days as they swarmed the poor woman bringing out the omelettes and pseudo sausages.

At the risk of boring you, all I can say is that I have fond memories of the BR lounge in TPE, and the ANA crowded lounge in NRT. However, in fairness, AC's selection is certainly better than the garbage that TG serves up in its lounges and anything available from a US carrier lounge. I wasn't impressed by the LH lounge in FRA with its hotdogs. (Seriously, 5+ steam trays of wieners is what's served to people paying high airfares????)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The soup is usually ok in the MLL, if it's a fresh batch. I rarely fly AC when the hot food is available in the lounge so I'm not in a position to fairly comment. Of the few opportunities I have had, my connections were tight so no Int'l MLL for me, although in the past year, the selection on my TATL trips looked like a horde of famished waifs had cleaned everything out. I only experienced the breakfast option once this year and many of the guests behaved as if they hadn't eaten in days as they swarmed the poor woman bringing out the omelettes and pseudo sausages.

At the risk of boring you, all I can say is that I have fond memories of the BR lounge in TPE, and the ANA crowded lounge in NRT. However, in fairness, AC's selection is certainly better than the garbage that TG serves up in its lounges and anything available from a US carrier lounge. I wasn't impressed by the LH lounge in FRA with its hotdogs. (Seriously, 5+ steam trays of wieners is what's served to people paying high airfares????)
It still is something...but yeah the BR lounge in TPE was surprising for me. I tried both the Star lounge and the lounge for Royal Laurel and I was shocked. I actually ATE (and drank as usual) at the lounge. I've NEVER eaten anything at a MLL (can't tolerate dairy (just like Ben Smith), which wipes out almost the entire lounge/BOB for me)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I personally think most (if not all) airline lounge "hot" food is pretty low quality and made en-masse, not too different from a buffet. That includes TK, SQ, NH, etc. Sure, the some lounges have dim sum and other stuff, but on the ladder of quality, they're pretty low. Yes, even the noodle bar in the NH lounges in TYO.

While I admit I do eat that food, it's more because I'm just hungry (and cheap ). More often then not, I just grab the salad in the AC MLLs. At least I won't regret it later on.

NB: NH ex-HKG usually use contract lounges that aren't Star Alliance. As a result, I've been to the AF and the Plaza Premium lounge, of which I was able to score unlimited Magnum ice cream bars in the latter.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I personally think most (if not all) airline lounge "hot" food is pretty low quality and made en-masse, not too different from a buffet. That includes TK, SQ, NH, etc. Sure, the some lounges have dim sum and other stuff, but on the ladder of quality, they're pretty low. Yes, even the noodle bar in the NH lounges in TYO.

While I admit I do eat that food, it's more because I'm just hungry (and cheap ). More often then not, I just grab the salad in the AC MLLs. At least I won't regret it later on.

NB: NH ex-HKG usually use contract lounges that aren't Star Alliance. As a result, I've been to the AF and the Plaza Premium lounge, of which I was able to score unlimited Magnum ice cream bars in the latter.
Fly BR!! In TPE and HKG (custom menu), the food was pretty good In HKG I get a menu and food on demand by multiple people whose job is to serve me food! Before people flame me, remember AC is trying to bechmark itself against major airlines in Asia...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:39 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It still is something...but yeah the BR lounge in TPE was surprising for me. I tried both the Star lounge and the lounge for Royal Laurel and I was shocked. I actually ATE (and drank as usual) at the lounge. I've NEVER eaten anything at a MLL (can't tolerate dairy (just like Ben Smith), which wipes out almost the entire lounge/BOB for me)
Perhaps it's because of the difference in dairies between Western and Asian cuisine? Western meals tend to have dairies in them, like the creamy soups and creamed pasta whereas Asian foods don't? So you could eat all the congee and dim sum at BR lounge, but not the pasta at MLL. From my memory, there should always be one soup that's dairy free, like chicken noodle or minestrone, although they tend to be very salty.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m.y
Perhaps it's because of the difference in dairies between Western and Asian cuisine? Western meals tend to have dairies in them, like the creamy soups and creamed pasta whereas Asian foods don't? So you could eat all the congee and dim sum at BR lounge, but not the pasta at MLL. From my memory, there should always be one soup that's dairy free, like chicken noodle or minestrone, although they tend to be very salty.
Thank you for your post. Sadly I cannot have even Minestrone or Chicken Noodle, as both have dairy, as per MLL staff. I don't want to take away from the point of this post though, as if I cannot have anything, no one should care. However, I am referring to hot entrees, not so much soups Where are the hot entrees at in the MLL's?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:08 am

Until recently I didn't know these Premium Plaza Lounges existed (I have an AMEX plat card). Next week I am flying AC (J) YYC-YVR. I know where the MLL's are, but are there Premium Plaza Lounges in both domestic terminals? If so I can't recall ever seeing them...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
In YYC it's the Chinook lounge...only soup for hot food but they have sandwiches which are decent. This longe is not accessible to AC pax as I recall since it is in the WS area. In YVR the temp Plaza lounge is near A1 in the Westjet area and is accessible airside from AC. YEG has a very nice Plaza lounge next to the MLL. Downfall of the YEG and YVR Plaza lounges is the wine...$5 a bottle variety plonk. At least MLL have a $10 Wolf Blass option which is drinkable

Last edited by Altaflyer; Dec 13, 2014 at 5:59 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Personally, I think the LX ZRH Lounges are among the best in my experience. While at peak times, like the other afternoon, its packed, there can be dirty dishes sitting around for awhile, but the food offerings are better than AC IMHO and the hot offerings were great, with one traditional Swiss cuisine.

There were gingerbread cookies and chocolates everywhere and then they offer Ricola samples, obviously under a promotional contract, which are very popular I noticed during my stay.

The wifi access has been streamlined finally in that they scan your BP and it issues a 5 letter code, which is way better than that Data Valet nonsense.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I sometimes feel like people at YYZ use a different Plaza Lounge from me. BR and EK use the Amex Lounge in the Int'l area and I've always found it crowded and uncomfortable. The food IMO is worse than in the Int'l MLL and the wine is terrible. When I fly BR I usually stay in the MLL until they close then go over to the PP. I don't often have the hot meals in the MLL, but the soup is usually OK, and I like the new breakfasts.

Having said all that, I agree that the BR Lounges in TPE are excellent, as well as most of the EK ones.

And just to make you jealous, penguin, I'm flying BR tonight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.