Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerryhung
Wiki Link
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 5, 19, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I mentioned this in the other thread, but Japan forbids collecting YQ on flights to/from Japan, if you have a >24hrs stay in Japan. So that drops all the AC and OZ YQ, except for ZRH-YVR
I don't know if this is considered LOW or not, but my colleague has booked a routing with a 1 week stopover in Tokyo, then to Singapore as the turnaround also for a week. The return leg goes through ICN for a few days stopover. The longhaul flights are from YYZ-HND and ICN-YYZ. Taxes were almost $700. We were expecting taxes to be lower. Maybe the stopover in ICN broke the Japan rules for low taxes?
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WKnight View Post
I don't know if this is considered LOW or not, but my colleague has booked a routing with a 1 week stopover in Tokyo, then to Singapore as the turnaround also for a week. The return leg goes through ICN for a few days stopover. The longhaul flights are from YYZ-HND and ICN-YYZ. Taxes were almost $700. We were expecting taxes to be lower. Maybe the stopover in ICN broke the Japan rules for low taxes?
The Japan rules only apply to the stints that border the Japan stop, not your entire trip - so in your case only the outbound. AFAIK. so you get no taxes on the outbound but full taxes on the return through ICN. Easily possible for ICN-YYZ to make up most of those taxes by itself
cennis likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Red face

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
The Japan rules only apply to the stints that border the Japan stop, not your entire trip - so in your case only the outbound. AFAIK. so you get no taxes on the outbound but full taxes on the return through ICN. Easily possible for ICN-YYZ to make up most of those taxes by itself
I did a bit more research and testing - and it may be misleading to say "no taxes/YQ/carrier surcharge". That was true up to a point in the past, before a few iterations of new rules - Japan's current set of rules applies a cap on the carrier surcharge, varying by flights. Credit to Prince of Travel. FYI, one can see the taxes break down from the Aeroplan website search results by clicking the "Taxes, Fees & Surcharges" link when you get the fees quote.

My test case of YYZ-PVG-HND yielded a carrier surcharge capped at $172(AC+ANA) and $219 (AC+CA) depending on the airlines used. This may seem like a rather high cap in some cases, but it sure beats paying $310 carrier surcharge on YYZ-PVG AC leg alone. This is not to be confused with the city/airport taxes are added on top and cannot be avoided. I verified these figures with the call center and they seem consistent.

In your case, the string of AC flights from NA directly into Japan is capped at $130, which is the "best" cap I've seen, for a total of $184 including the airport taxes.
ZRH-YVR on AC yielded a carrier surcharge of $274, for a total of $321 with the airport tax.
Just those 2 pieces already add up to over $500, and we still need to include the 4 OZ/LH flights, so there must have been some additional caps/synergies applied here.

I was also able to price out YVR-YEG-YYC-NRT(stop)-ICN-TAS(stop)-IST-ZRH-YUL-YVR, using the same airlines as you up to IST and finishing off with LX+AC shorthaul (low YQ), for a total taxes $488.
If interested, search YVR-NRT-TAS-YVR in the multi-city tool with Sep 8, Oct 12, Jan 28 and check Economy-Economy-Business and you should be able to pull everything together. I think it has something to do with stopping in CDG, which wiped out a lot of taxes for the Europe part of your trip.
flyer05 likes this.

Last edited by cennis; Sep 5, 19 at 2:26 pm
Old Sep 25, 19, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Booked under the wire. 3 PAX, all in J except for that one pesky DH8 segment.

YVR-YEG AC
<24 hours
YEG-YYC AC
<24 hours
YYC-NRT AC
stop
NRT-ICN-TAS OZ
turnaround
TAS-IST-CDG TK
stop
CDG-FRA-ZRH LH
<24 hours
ZRH-YVR AC

$442+$31.50

A couple changes.
Moved dates to August
YVR-AC-SJC-NH-NRT stop
NRT-OZ-ICN-OZ-TAS turnaround
TAS-TK-IST-TK-CDG <24 hours
CDG-LH-FRA-LH-ZRH stop
ZRH-AC-YVR
added about $100 in fees from version 1.

YVR-AC-SJC-NH-NRT stop
NRT-ET-ICN-OZ-TAS turnaround
TAS-TK-IST-TK-CDG stop
CDG-LH-MUC-LH-ZRH <24 hours
ZRH-AC-YVR

about a $20 refund from version 2.

Hoping to get version one of this itinerary with August dates, but AC and OZ are withholding J space over the Olympics.
cennis likes this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by cennis View Post
Booked for May 2020

YYZ-TPE BR J
TPE-NGO BR J (STOP)
NGO-SIN SQ Y
SIN-MEL SQ J (DEST)
MEL-SIN SQ J
SIN-SGN SQ Y
SGN-TPE BR J
TPE-AMS BR J
AMS-ZRH LX J (STOP)
ZRH-YUL LX J
YUL-YTZ AC Y

160k miles + 302 fees pp + 33.90 booking fee
Changed to get more J flights out of this.
YYZ-SEA AC J
SEA-ICN OZ J
ICN-CTS OZ J
CTS-KIX NH Y
KIX-SIN SQ J
SIN-MEL SQ J
MEL-SIN SQ J
SIN-PVG SQ J
PVG-HEL HO J
HEL-ARN SK J
ARN-ZRH LX J
ZRH-YUL LX J
YUL-YTZ AC Y

430pp taxes + change fees
AC seems to be holding inventory of J and release them when Y award space is taken. I had to book YYZ-SEA in Y after weeks of planning, but the same day I booked, I checked again at night, J was available. Free change but just something to note.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread