Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
Well, I am running out of reasons to stay with AP.

I don't travel as much as I used to and when I do, I use points to travel in J or purchase J.

I found out today that mileage transfers from my AP Plat AMEX to my AP account don't count towards Distinction status. Being Distinction Diamond was somewhat useful to me as I could take advantage of the Market Fares (although a major devaluation of my points) and at least get through to AP Call Centre in a reasonable amount of time.

In 2013 these transfers did count towards D status and I am sure it was mentioned somewhere that this was changed at some point but given all the changes occurring I probably missed it.

So, I am debating what to do with my AMEX AP Plat card as its $499 and renewal is upcoming. I am being offered 25K AP to stay but these would be non-D status of course.

I do like the 1.5 points per dollar on AMEX but probably don't need lounge access and I will need to consider using my TD AP card or switching to another program.

Not really happy at the moment and considering my options going forward.

Just venting.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Trent
Well, I am running out of reasons to stay with AP.

I don't travel as much as I used to and when I do, I use points to travel in J or purchase J.

I found out today that mileage transfers from my AP Plat AMEX to my AP account don't count towards Distinction status. Being Distinction Diamond was somewhat useful to me as I could take advantage of the Market Fares (although a major devaluation of my points) and at least get through to AP Call Centre in a reasonable amount of time.

In 2013 these transfers did count towards D status and I am sure it was mentioned somewhere that this was changed at some point but given all the changes occurring I probably missed it.

So, I am debating what to do with my AMEX AP Plat card as its $499 and renewal is upcoming. I am being offered 25K AP to stay but these would be non-D status of course.

I do like the 1.5 points per dollar on AMEX but probably don't need lounge access and I will need to consider using my TD AP card or switching to another program.

Not really happy at the moment and considering my options going forward.

Just venting.
WAIT. What? When I had the AMEX Aeroplan Gold charge card, the points counted towards distinction. However, this wasn't the case with AMEX Gold/Platinum charge cards that earn MR.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
Correct Mr. Penguin.

I called AP today and they referred me back to AMEX. I then called AMEX and they informed me that once TD came on board with AP then AMEX points that are transferred do not count towards distinction status even though they are earned on an AMEX AP Plat Card.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Trent
Correct Mr. Penguin.

I called AP today and they referred me back to AMEX. I then called AMEX and they informed me that once TD came on board with AP then AMEX points that are transferred do not count towards distinction status even though they are earned on an AMEX AP Plat Card.
Wow. I'm lost for words. As many FTers can vouch for me when I say I'm usually not lost for words....
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by drvannostren
They still haven't posted the partner earnings charts, and it seems more and more it'll be last possible minute but there's no way it stays where it is. There's no reason a cheapo fare on ANA earns 100% while the same type of fare on UA only earns based on the $$$. I'm expecting huge cuts across the board, and I'd rather stick with the devil I know (plus the credit card earning) than jump to one poised to disappoint me.
UA nothing has changed for STATUS miles! you still get the # of mile you fly.
your redeemable miles will change with UA, to $ based. Some will win with that others lose.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
I suspect at 18 cents/status miles, with AC that still makes him a bottom feeder.
Hold on. rankourabu mentioned 18cpm. I said I spend more than that

AC's welcome to look at me as a bottom feeder. I don't really care, because I get the same benefits as everyone else.

I've thought about UA, but I'd still fly AC most of the time (because most of my flights are roughly SFO-YYZ, and AC J is way better than UA "F"). So I'd really just be collecting status on an airline I don't really fly. I'm actually not convinced I could meet the spend requirements for UA status, because I'd still buy AC flight passes.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Couple of points to clarify things. Minimum spend doesn't apply to Cdn residents. So if canadian cow were to live with his parents, he would be exempt.

Also the new mileage earning program that starts in March only applies to 016 ticket stock (UA) or if you include UA metal on a partner ticket (eg 014 ticket that includes UA segment). Otherwise UA has no way of knowing what you paid for your ticket, so miles earned will still be based on distance flown.

I agree with cow that on domestic and cross border flights, AC is far superior to UA. I will always try to book reward tickets on AC when possible. I have 2 J tickets to CUN IN February booked on UA website and I made sure to pick AC for the YYZ-IAH segments.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I have heard of US based members asking non-US based friends to be their mailbox in order to circumvent the $ = status requirements
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
I have heard of US based members asking non-US based friends to be their mailbox in order to circumvent the $ = status requirements
Its not that easy anymore, you need to prove residence with two documents, utility bill, IDs, etc
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I agree with cow that on [snip] cross border flights, AC is far superior to UA
Only if you live in Toronto.

If you live in Vancouver like me, UA is "far superior."

- With the exception of YVR-EWR, all flights out of Vancouver to the USA are Rouge. I fly economy, so forget that.

- AC tries to route US-bound traffic out of Vancouver through YYZ, which is a total pain, as you've got to go through US CBP and CATSA in the middle of your journey outbound, and CBSA and CATSA mid-journey inbound... Compare that with United out of YVR, where you do security and CBP at the beginning and then you don't have to do it again.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
This may be a heretical statement on this site but I've never chased status or been all that excited about it. My purpose for flying is to go to places that interest me or where someone is paying me to be. Whatever airline gets me there most efficiently, economically and comfortably is my preference.

Among reward programs generally AP is a bit of a muddle. Route contortions, mileage runs, upgrade roulette seem too high a price to pay in return for what AP has to offer which are humdrum lounges, expedited processes at the gate, fees, long waits for merchandise redemptions and cute little baggage tags. It's just not a game that appeals to me.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:46 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by gglave
Only if you live in Toronto.

If you live in Vancouver like me, UA is "far superior."

- With the exception of YVR-EWR, all flights out of Vancouver to the USA are Rouge. I fly economy, so forget that.

- AC tries to route US-bound traffic out of Vancouver through YYZ, which is a total pain, as you've got to go through US CBP and CATSA in the middle of your journey outbound, and CBSA and CATSA mid-journey inbound... Compare that with United out of YVR, where you do security and CBP at the beginning and then you don't have to do it again.
I often have the same reaction to YYZ since flights out of YUL to the US are slim pickings.

Just FYI, there is currently a trial at YYZ about not having to collect luggage when transiting through YYZ from international (Current test, I believe is from LAX). If and when that goes across the board, that, in conjunction with Nexus, would make things much easier, at least on the inbound connections.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Couple of points to clarify things. Minimum spend doesn't apply to Cdn residents. So if canadian cow were to live with his parents, he would be exempt.

Also the new mileage earning program that starts in March only applies to 016 ticket stock (UA) or if you include UA metal on a partner ticket (eg 014 ticket that includes UA segment). Otherwise UA has no way of knowing what you paid for your ticket, so miles earned will still be based on distance flown.

I agree with cow that on domestic and cross border flights, AC is far superior to UA. I will always try to book reward tickets on AC when possible. I have 2 J tickets to CUN IN February booked on UA website and I made sure to pick AC for the YYZ-IAH segments.
And there's the issue. If I fly AC for domestic (Canada) and transborder, then that's like 70k miles for me.

I don't want status on an airline I don't fly.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
a) I spoke to those who hate flying AC, still fly (one must assume because they are forced to) and continue to complain. At a certain point, change the situation or change your outlook of the situation.
One can speak to other similar life experience :
1. ... to those who hate paying tax, still pay (one must assume because they are forced to) and continue to complain.
2. ... to those who hate the weather where they leave, still stay put (one must assume because they are forced to) and continue to complain.
3. ... to those who hate the friends, still keep them (one must assume because they are forced to) and continue to complain.
4. ...

You would say: At a certain point, change the situation or change your outlook of the situation.
I say : easy to preach, more difficult to practice.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:06 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
One can speak to other similar life experience :
1. ... to those who hate paying tax, still pay (one must assume because they are forced to) and continue to complain.
2. ... to those who hate the weather where they leave, still stay put (one must assume because they are forced to) and continue to complain.
3. ... to those who hate the friends, still keep them (one must assume because they are forced to) and continue to complain.
4. ...

You would say: At a certain point, change the situation or change your outlook of the situation.
I say : easy to preach, more difficult to practice.
To #1: I'm stil looking for a small island in the South Pacific with a benevolent dictator.
#2: You have a point there. Still wondering why. Se #1
#3... That's a you problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.