Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Yyttraveler
Had a terrible day for AC employees and rude attitudes. Makes me wonder why I keep giving them my money. First off, at check-in.. Inquired about a SDC, and the agent rudely responded "You're only on a tango fare, it will be a ton of money." ? Unless I'm wrong, I thought an SDC was $75.
Then, moving on to the lounge, I inquired if it was possible to change my seat since I knew my flight was half empty upon check in, but for some reason I couldn't change it online. She said "Your seat is close enough to the front, there's no point in looking."
SDC for Tango is $150. SDC for Flex is $75.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by arf04
Sadly, YQR and YXE lose their DEN flights effective March 1. I've been pretty happy with UA even as a lowly Silver but with no more flights that basically screws any appeal UA has and, sadly, easy access to the US southwest/coast.
While that was an unexpected bummer I'm not sure it changes that much as to connect to anywhere from YQR, even with AC, usually involves a flight to YYC or YYZ. I suspect UA will reroute us via one or the other, probably YYC, instead of DEN. May result in an extra leg on some routes and it means I will have no choice but to risk my bags to AC for at least 1 leg each way. It also means a turboprop to YYC . I also suspect fares may go up with AC charging for at least 1 leg each way. All of these inconveniences would have happened even if we'd stayed with AC though so I am still happy we moved.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by margarita girl
My personal opinion is that starting March 1, I will focus more on hotel status and less on airline status. I'm currently sitting in a beautiful suite in Langkawi, Malaysia, looking at my private 20' X 8' pool in front of me and the warm ocean just beyond that. Total cost: 12K SPG points/night. Life's good.
Pictures, or it never happened.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 172pilot
SDC for Tango is $150. SDC for Flex is $75.
Hmm.. that's odd. The confirmation e-mail contained the following quote:
"Same-day confirmed changes at check-in or at the airport are subject to availability and are permitted only for same-day flights at a fee of $75 CAD/USD per direction, per passenger."
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yyttraveler
Hmm.. that's odd. The confirmation e-mail contained the following quote:
"Same-day confirmed changes at check-in or at the airport are subject to availability and are permitted only for same-day flights at a fee of $75 CAD/USD per direction, per passenger."
SDC fees for Tango:

Canada:
$75 (Rapidair and Rapidair West (YYC, YEG, YVR) routes)
$150

US:
$150

International:
$100
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Benner
SDC fees for Tango:

Canada:
$75 (Rapidair and Rapidair West (YYC, YEG, YVR) routes)
$150

US:
$150

International:
$100
Thanks for the clarification. Yes the route was on the Western Canada Triangle so should have been $75 not the $150 she quoted
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I chuckle when I read the UA sucks comments. If you fly paid J then I see that AC might make sense. Also if you are in the rarified atmosphere of SE perhaps.

Flying Y, however, whether it's AC or UA, what's the difference TBH? As a flying bus getting you from A to B, AC sucks too, believe me. The only tangible difference I have noted is IFE, which isn't great on UA, although they are upgrading their network for IFE through personal devices. They are apparently having teething problems regarding power outlets but they are transparent on their website with regards to where the fleet is in that regard. Never tried it yet though as I have reverted to reading, crossword puzzles and sleeping.

And you know what? It's been fine. Especially when you consider that I get 100% miles on even the cheapest fare , I won't be Rouged and I typically paid a LOT less than the cheapest fare on AC.

A CC would be nice to boost my miles for those special trips but that may come down the road. If not the miles I do earn can be used to upgrade if I want to be guaranteed a seat at the front of the bus.

Finally I find that the UA attitude seems to be a little more customer service friendly. Whether it be announcing changes ahead of time, the communications from MP , interactions with front line staff etc. Sure there are exceptions and grumpy staff but AC was never immune from that, especially in YYZ IME.

The final observation I have is that UA is an airline that has hit bottom and is on the way up in improving service in small steps, whereas AC seems determined to go backwards at every opportunity.

On UA I get PE at no cost at the time of booking. That's worth a lot to me. I have also been upgraded several times at the gate at no cost , no eup credits etc, without having to spend more.

As a Canadian MP Gold I get Lounge access over 99% of the time.

I get my free bags etc. In addition United actually delivers them in my personal experience, unlike my more recent experiences with AC.

I also received other less tangible perks such as automatic Marriott Gold status ( which I may never use but is always available to me when needed).
HERE HERE.. Agree Completely!!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl

My personal opinion is that starting March 1, I will focus more on hotel status and less on airline status. I'm currently sitting in a beautiful suite in Langkawi, Malaysia, looking at my private 20' X 8' pool in front of me and the warm ocean just beyond that. Total cost: 12K SPG points/night. Life's good.
MG, That's what I've been doing for the last 2 years. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that airfare have been pretty constant for the last 20 years (in constant dollars), but on the other end, hotel fare have gone through the roof. I remember travelling at around 100$/night at Sheraton in DC, where today for a 100$ you need to stay at the Red Roof Inn in the suburbs of DC!!

Ultimately, we spend more time in hotels than aircrafts, hence me building my status with hotel rather than airlines.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:49 am

BA #thatwaseasy

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in a previous post, I switched from AC because status (lounge access) would require 7 TATL trips. I only do 5 in a year, so it's a bridge too far for a mileage run. Regardless, I can achieve the same goal with BA after only 4 TATL trips.

Two months in and I've easily qualified for Bronze (no lounge access). Intra-Europe flying has provided an unexpected boost compared to LH (only 50% mileage for Y ticket). I'll make Silver by July at latest.

I hope Altitude changes were worth it for AC. I fly on contract Y fares (~$2000 TATL) and had been an 'elite' flyer for 10 years. It was sad to leave AC (and the incredible schedule from LHR), but Altitude changes meant that AC was pretty much leaving me.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:46 am

i left the program because most components can be purchased as needed basis.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Delta Maybe?

As a hedge against 2016 enhancements, thinking of giving Delta a try via the platinum status match.
Can anybody share their experience with the match as well as vs. AC
I fly TALT and to FL with a some TPAC and South America thrown in. Very little with in Canada flying so SEA vs YVR/YYZ is not a bad place to fly from.
Will be sitting at 78k or so May 1, want those 80k and 100k eups for next year.
2 TALTs in Dec on Lat FP have that covered.
AC, your policies are making me AVOID flying with you for six months of the year.
Probably would have bailed already except for the FP product. IF it goes, I go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.