Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Wants them to go away?? I don't get it. How you interpret their moves as hoping customers stop flying them?

But to believe that a company no longer wants you? Or worse WANTS you to go away??!? That is just unfathomable. I don't understand how you come to believe this.
I agree. They are cutting benefits in the belief that people will, after considering the options, stick around. They are not trying to get rid of us, they are trying to make more money from us.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Well, I have finally made my decision. Since I will definitely fly over 100K miles next year on Star, but less than 50K on AC, I have decided to stop chasing status.

I will fly as much free travel as I can ( I just booked CGK-TPE-YYZ-PVG-CGK in J on
AE reward), I just transferred 80K SPG =100 K AE plus 25% bonus - 125 AE for
another Asia trip. I have over 300K Amex points that can go to AC, or others, for more redemptions. And I will have until Feb 28, 2016 to enjoy my IKK.

In the meantime, for all other flights, I will now look at the cheapest, most direct
flights instead of always choosing AC/Star. Watch my signature for how my travel
patterns will change in 2015.
Wow you are exactly the customer AC wants to keep, and is so foolish to lose. PS its the best decision you will love the grass on the other side of the fence.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Wants them to go away?? I don't get it. How you interpret their moves as hoping customers stop flying them?

Consider it an indirect price increase that may have some mid tier frequent flyers to chose other airlines; OK, I'd accept.

Say that in your mind, it is no longer worth playing the game to attain this status level; fine. Yes I can understand that.

But to believe that a company no longer wants you? Or worse WANTS you to go away??!? That is just unfathomable. I don't understand how you come to believe this.
You can always reverse the perspective on this. In other words what would a company do that wants you to keep patronizing them?

Very few of AC/ AP's actions in the last few years have clearly sent the message to customers " We value you and we want you to keep coming back to us". In fact, you could argue that the messages have been overwhelmingly the opposite, so by not showing that they wanted to keep you they have effectively confirmed the opposite have they not? Whether that was the intention is doubtful because if true it seems incredibly short sighted.

Human Relations 101. If you don't tell someone you love them by what you say and what you do AC, then don't be surprised if they feel that you don't love them ( even if say you still you do). Some might even look elsewhere.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'm really trying to be logical. I do strongly feel that AC no longer cares about mid tier elites. Not sure how others feel though. The message I got loud and clear was past loyalty doesn't matter, it's just your business going forward. And it's a clear message. Wanna sit in J? Pay for it. I'm not here saying that it's a bad message, but it just doesn't scream that "loyalty" is a two way street for me.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by flybit
Wow you are exactly the customer AC wants to keep, and is so foolish to lose. PS its the best decision you will love the grass on the other side of the fence.
I don't think they want to keep me. Why would they? I have been SE in every year that has had such a level, I've got my MM, my travel is all paid
J for longhauls, but I dare fly 50K miles a year on Star Alliance partners.
So they throw me out with the bathwater.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm really trying to be logical. I do strongly feel that AC no longer cares about mid tier elites. Not sure how others feel though. The message I got loud and clear was past loyalty doesn't matter, it's just your business going forward. And it's a clear message. Wanna sit in J? Pay for it. I'm not here saying that it's a bad message, but it just doesn't scream that "loyalty" is a two way street for me.
I go even further - they no longer want the Top Tier Elites ( me) either!!!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I go even further - they no longer want the Top Tier Elites ( me) either!!!
To be fair, they did revise the "game" for super elites offering X eupgrade credits per 40K miles flown (or something like that). There is now incentive to fly AC, but for anyone 75K and below...ppffffffft.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
my travel is all paid
J for longhauls
ok, I m confused, why would you need/chase status then?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Alright, turn it on its head: As an E50, what is AC doing to keep me?

What are they doing to keep me in AC / *A over their competitors?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by gglave
Alright, turn it on its head: As an E50, what is AC doing to keep me?

What are they doing to keep me in AC / *A over their competitors?

Super spiffy luggage tags?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Very few of AC/ AP's actions in the last few years have clearly sent the message to customers " We value you and we want you to keep coming back to us". In fact, you could argue that the messages have been overwhelmingly the opposite, so by not showing that they wanted to keep you they have effectively confirmed the opposite have they not?
^ Exactly right.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:13 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Fizzer
You can always reverse the perspective on this. In other words what would a company do that wants you to keep patronizing them?

Very few of AC/ AP's actions in the last few years have clearly sent the message to customers " We value you and we want you to keep coming back to us". In fact, you could argue that the messages have been overwhelmingly the opposite, so by not showing that they wanted to keep you they have effectively confirmed the opposite have they not? Whether that was the intention is doubtful because if true it seems incredibly short sighted.

Human Relations 101. If you don't tell someone you love them by what you say and what you do AC, then don't be surprised if they feel that you don't love them ( even if say you still you do). Some might even look elsewhere.
AC's recent changes to their FF programme reminds me of an interview I saw with GM's CEO on 60 minutes a while back. While they were "in transition", many union reps were openly complaining about losing benefits. Mr. Wagner's answer was (paraphrasing) 'A few years ago, as it related to our benefits package, we could afford Gold. Today, we can no longer afford Gold. We can afford Silver. Its not quite as good as Gold, but its still pretty good. And we need to accept that Silver is what we can afford now".

I relate the same message to current 'long-term' frequent flyers: A few years ago, AC could afford those perks. Now they can't.

Luckily, our retirement doesn't depend on this. As a flyer, you stil have THE CHOICE to move to another programme, if that programme better fits your needs.

So to say the AC does not want you as a customer is more than a little self deprecating.

To say AC can no longer afford to keep its mid tier flyers at the rate they used to is more of a reality.

My suggestion: If you find an airline that better meets your needs, for your dollar/miles pattern, then all the power to you. But to say that AC does not want you is you acting like a victim. And when you choose where to spend your money...are you really a victim?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:16 pm
Suspended

I relate the same message to current 'long-term' frequent flyers: A few years ago, AC could afford those perks. Now they can't.
I literally jumped out of bed to write this message. Man, you and I have always been on the same side, but this is just incorrect. AC just posted record profits. They can't afford these perks? That's a load of bull. They may choose not to, but they certainly are not in a position where they cannot.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When they were losing money they could afford it, now that they make money they cannot?

Not sure I understand the logic...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
When they were losing money they could afford it, now that they make money they cannot?

Not sure I understand the logic...

Sure they can, the profits are just going elsewhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.