Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Same day change on UA is free. I love that benefit. You can even change on your smartphone using the UA app so maybe you don't have to rush to the gate everytime.
Same day is free when flying AC metal on a UA ticket as well. Just bring the printout of the ticket terms and highlight the fare rule.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:06 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Don't those free changes devalue the product?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Don't those free changes devalue the product?

Not having passengers sit at the MLL lounge eating and drinking prevents AC from obtaining large volume discounts on chickpea purée and Campbell chowder.

Yes. LH and AC inflexible same day change rules indeed make travel a more refined and uncheaoened experience indeed.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was top tier in both UA and AC in 2012 and 2013. This is my first year without SE status.

Missed my first EWR-HNL upgrade today, an 11 hr flight. (5th or 6th trip to HNL in the last 2 yrs.)

But I knew I was going to miss it because I COULD SEE THE UPGRADE LIST (something AC doesn't think its frequent fliers could handle)!!! So I planned accordingly. Brought snacks, brought my drink vouchers, settled into my bulkhead seat with the getto upgrade (as rankourabu likes to say) using my carry on as an ottoman, and I survived.

Thankfully I'm already upgraded for the return since it's a red eye (love the flat beds on this route).
Now that AC has changed Hawaii to Rouge I assume a lot of people will use other carriers to get to Hawaii. Its way to far to fly to HNL on a Rouge plane. Another reason for status flyers will leave AC, is the first flight with Rouge.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by flybit
Now that AC has changed Hawaii to Rouge I assume a lot of people will use other carriers to get to Hawaii. Its way to far to fly to HNL on a Rouge plane. Another reason for status flyers will leave AC, is the first flight with Rouge.
Not that I don't agree with you, but you can still get to Hawaii from YYC on a mainline plane. The day that ends will likely be the last time I go to Hawaii on a Canadian carrier.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by margarita girl
But I knew I was going to miss it because I COULD SEE THE UPGRADE LIST (something AC doesn't think its frequent fliers could handle)!!! So I planned accordingly. Brought snacks, brought my drink vouchers, settled into my bulkhead seat with the getto upgrade (as rankourabu likes to say) using my carry on as an ottoman, and I survived.

Thankfully I'm already upgraded for the return since it's a red eye (love the flat beds on this route).
Knowing that you are not going to clear the day before, one accepts it, and plans accordingly. Looks like your flight had only 1/39 people upgraded - so with 38 paid seats taken - it was impossible.

How do AC people put up with not knowing any of this? DL has all the info on the app too like UA.

Important to mention, that you also didnt have to pay double (flex) in order to just waitlist for the upgrade. Imagine you paid double for flex, and then it did not clear, how would you feel?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Note that the route MG is referring to is one on which UA requires an upgrade instrument (either a regional or global upgrade "cert") and it is not a comp upgrade. These are pmCO 767s with very nice 2-1-2 seating in F. Same with IAD-HNL and IAH-HNL. The rest of UA's Hawaii flights are generally served by ordinary, often run down, 757s but they do offer comp upgrading (or certs can be used for advance confirmation).

And before Rankourabu comes back with a retort, yes, AA also puts its older 757s on its Hawaii routes, though does offer some very comfortable internationally configured 767s on the route too with comp upgrades to ExecPlats, instruments for other elites.

Last edited by Shareholder; Nov 4, 2014 at 7:38 am
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
Just booked Maui next Summer...flying UA F. All my leisure trips now on UA up front. Sure not the same as AC but darn close. So I am staying but AC has lost 30% or so of my flights...and I WILL NOT FLY ROGE.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Originally Posted by ridefar
Not that I don't agree with you, but you can still get to Hawaii from YYC on a mainline plane. The day that ends will likely be the last time I go to Hawaii on a Canadian carrier.

To both your points:

1. According to the map that came with the Hawaii Bonus Offer in the Recent email newsletter, YYC-OGG and YVR-KOA are mainline (dates of seasonal service vary)

2. I did YYZ-YVR-HNL last week just because but also to fly mainline. I will not fly rouge again (once was enough). 5 hours from YVR is one thing for those who can "manage" the rouge, 10 hours from YYZ is well, you fill in the blank.

3. Looking at our return visit to Hawaii, we've starting mapping out route choices with UA. There are many along with really good J/F prices. IMHO.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cruzcap
Just booked Maui next Summer...flying UA F. All my leisure trips now on UA up front. Sure not the same as AC but darn close. So I am staying but AC has lost 30% or so of my flights...and I WILL NOT FLY ROGE.
Hope you routed EWR-HNL with the flat beds on 767-400. ^
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: TK Elite *A Gold, Air Berlin Gold - One World Sapphire, Westjet Gold, Avis Preferred, IHG Gold
LEAVING

Heading to Turkish Airlines M&S with the hope of a status match for *A Gold. Once that has expired will most likely go BA. Actually accrued one TATL flight with my Aegean account just before that program was gutted to the core. Will have a few more TATL flights accruing on TK M&S before i put my request in.

BYE BYE AC Altitude!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Shareholder
These are pmCO 767s with very nice 2-1-2 seating in F. Same with IAD-HNL and IAH-HNL. The rest of UA's Hawaii flights are generally served by ordinary, often run down, 757s but they do offer comp upgrading (or certs can be used for advance confirmation)..
Please dont spread false information before you verified your facts.

United now has 9 converted 777s in so-called Hawaii configuration, which have 32 old style intl J business class seats with IFE.
They fly on some flights to HNL from LAX, IAH and SFO as well as the ORD route.

Its certainly not the same domestic J/F that AA and AC run to Hawaii

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._777-200_8.php
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Imagine you paid double for flex, and then it did not clear, how would you feel?
Presumably one would feel grateful that they paid extra to maintain the integrity of the program and not cheapen the experience.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
...and the flight you departed on likely left others at the gate while the flight you were trying to connect to departed with empty seats.
Yes another reason why it makes no sense especially for loyal FF to not give them an empty seat and get them out of there.

Who has not experienced the utter "joy" of being on the last flight of the day that has a mechanical issue and you get the crummy meal and hotel and leave the next day.
In the case of not letting someone get out when they can is having them stranded and the airline responsible - it just does not business sense.

Again if i flew 3-4x a year okay i might be ticked and mad but doesn't hurt too much if i switch.
But when i fly 25x round trips a year and you won't let me fly standby and i risk getting stranded or missing a connection - then taking my business to Westjet or UA will start to hurt.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
and yes isn't it lovely that UA displays on the screen and in its app how many seats, what seats are available, how many are on standby - and where you are, how many are waiting for upgrade - and where you are.

Really helps to decide to make that run through O'hare or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.