Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yrp
Hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my parents may be travelling shortly YYZ-LHR in J.

My mother is allergic to garlic (part vampire?). Is there any special meal option to avoid garlic, or is there any way to find out what meal choices on board contain garlic?

Can she ask for no dressing/sauce on things like the salad or entrees -- not sure if these are pre-prepared or sauced on board.

Regular meals
First as for salad dressing, it comes in a little bottle. It is a simple balsamic vinaigrette, although a bit on the peppery side.
For the various main dishes I've had (beef, fish, chicken & pasta), none had visible garlic, but either garlic or powder could have been used in the sauces or side veg.

For special meals
You might want to also ask the AC reps. Years ago, one was able to get the actual menu for any of the special meals. Now, the agents do not have them, but the types are listed on AC's website.

You cannot ask for no garlic in a meal. AC does not prepare them.

To be safe, you can do 2 things: make sure they take some of their own snacks onboard. I know pax with allergies who do this.
You can still also order a special meal but stick with something safe, perhaps low salt or lacto-ovo. I would not choose vegetarian as my experience form LHR is the meal I received was Indian curry and I can't eat curry.

Other members here might have additional suggestions.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Regular meals
First as for salad dressing, it comes in a little bottle. It is a simple balsamic vinaigrette, although a bit on the peppery side.
Peppery? I never noticed.

Incidentally, the current (Spanish) one is made of olive oil and vinegar, while the previous (French) one, A l'Olivier, included some other oil. Pure olive should be better obviously. However one side effect: having been kept at low temperature, it more often than not gets served somewhat frozen. Which did not happen with the older one.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Peppery? I never noticed.

Incidentally, the current (Spanish) one is made of olive oil and vinegar, while the previous (French) one, A l'Olivier, included some other oil. Pure olive should be better obviously. However one side effect: having been kept at low temperature, it more often than not gets served somewhat frozen. Which did not happen with the older one.
Yes, peppery. Brought one home for a family member in the food biz and he agreed. We have a collection of evoo's - some are fruity, some are light, some are peppery, some are best for drizzle and salads, others can be used for cooking. As I'm often reminded, the evoo biz has evolved to be like wine, with tastings and pairings and so on.

And yes, neither of us are expecting this kind of quality while flying (although we all know there are excellent exceptions), but just an opinion - we preferred the previous dressing.

Still, it was just info for the OP who was asking about meals for parents with food sensitivities.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:48 pm
yrp

Thanks 24Left. I hadn't seen any special meal that looked appropriate. She has done a fair bit of travelling recently, normally brings along snacks/food. Just wondered if there were more options in business -- seems a shame to miss out on the meal.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yrp
Thanks 24Left. I hadn't seen any special meal that looked appropriate. She has done a fair bit of travelling recently, normally brings along snacks/food. Just wondered if there were more options in business -- seems a shame to miss out on the meal.
yrp, hi
Based on my TATL and TPAC AC Biz Class experiences, and looking at some of the menus I saved, there are usually 4 dinner choices as I noted in my original reply to you.
In addition, your mom can order one of the many special meals (examples are Hindu, Muslim, Kosher, Pure Veg, Diabetic, Lacto-Ovo Veg, Low Sodium etc)

There are no custom meals, which is why even I carry a back-up (sometimes, my preferred choice of meal is no longer available by the time they get to my pod).
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by yrp
Hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my parents may be travelling shortly YYZ-LHR in J.

My mother is allergic to garlic (part vampire?). Is there any special meal option to avoid garlic, or is there any way to find out what meal choices on board contain garlic?

Can she ask for no dressing/sauce on things like the salad or entrees -- not sure if these are pre-prepared or sauced on board.
Our catering reports do not indicate the actual spices used in the food beyond the menu description of the meal (e.g - Curried Chicken). J/C meal standards have recently changed on long-haul/ultra long-haul flight, however YYZ-LHR entrees are pre-plated. The only assurance of having a spice-free/garlic-free meal is to order a FPML (Fruit Platter) or BLML (Bland Meal). Salad dressing is served on the side.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:33 pm
yrp

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Our catering reports do not indicate the actual spices used in the food beyond the menu description of the meal (e.g - Curried Chicken). J/C meal standards have recently changed on long-haul/ultra long-haul flight, however YYZ-LHR entrees are pre-plated. The only assurance of having a spice-free/garlic-free meal is to order a FPML (Fruit Platter) or BLML (Bland Meal). Salad dressing is served on the side.
Thanks! I'll suggest that to her.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: SE, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
Why not flights to Europe too? sigh...
Just flew AC 846 to MUC and service was as described
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by yrp
Thanks! I'll suggest that to her.
Bear in mind that any offerings from the regular menu (plated appetizer, dessert, cheese) can augment any special meal offering where available.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Prestige, Starwood, Fairmont President Club, Hilton Honours
Is there a choice of appetizer now? Would love to see a non seafood choice there. The smoked salmon etc doesn't appeal to everyone. I recall there were choices back in the day and served from a trolley. Flying to LHR soon and will post feedback
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Airbus340
Is there a choice of appetizer now? Would love to see a non seafood choice there. The smoked salmon etc doesn't appeal to everyone. I recall there were choices back in the day and served from a trolley. Flying to LHR soon and will post feedback

+1 sort of

On one YYZ-TLV, the smoked salmon was outstanding, both in taste and presentation (the little bit of dilled cream cheese (?) was very nice, but flying with onions is not great, so we all pushed the chopped onion aside.

Sadly, the subsequent flight, the appetizer was some weird fig thing with some kind of deli meat, which I would not eat. I asked the SD how that went and he said no one touched it. Back to the drawing board.

I think it is really hard to offer something that will work for everyone, but it would be great if there was at least a choice of 2 different appetizers.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Prestige, Starwood, Fairmont President Club, Hilton Honours
British Airways seems to do this well in Club. I have had some amazing veg choices for appetizers.

Would like to see a new salad dressing too on AC or a choice. That balsamic vinaigrette is getting tired!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
British Airways seems to do this well in Club. I have had some amazing veg choices for appetizers.

Would like to see a new salad dressing too on AC or a choice. That balsamic vinaigrette is getting tired!
Wow, you guys are still using balsamic vinaigrette? What I do is I take a lysol wipe to clean down my seat in J, and then I squeeze the juices onto the salad. Works wonderful, and tastes DELISH.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

+1

See my comments upthread (I don't like it because it's peppery and you are right, it's tired)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
+1

See my comments upthread (I don't like it because it's peppery and you are right, it's tired)
I like it as it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.