Search

AC Gates at Boston Logan Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ciana
Any tips for going the opposite way?
We are on an AC flight YYZ-BOS landing at Terminal B then heading to Terminal E for TK BOS-IST.(all J seats) We'll have pre-clearance in YYZ. Walk or take shuttle from B to E? Lounge at E?
Thanks
Shuttle, landside bus. #11 will do the trick, some others will but I don't recall them offhand. TK uses the AF lounge in E for their J passengers. Solid lounge. Expect some great food, mediocre service and angled-flat seats on TK BOS-IST (I speak from firsthand experience on this route).
Old May 7, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Shuttle, landside bus. #11 will do the trick, some others will but I don't recall them offhand. TK uses the AF lounge in E for their J passengers. Solid lounge. Expect some great food, mediocre service and angled-flat seats on TK BOS-IST (I speak from firsthand experience on this route).
Thanks for the info! We did originally have YYZ-YUL-FRA-TXL but gave up the pods on AC for the YYZ-BOS-IST-TXL. After factoring in the $203 change fee for the two tickets, we still saved $700 total. I hope that wasn't a mistake to go from pods to the TK angled flat beds!
Old May 9, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ciana
Thanks for the info! We did originally have YYZ-YUL-FRA-TXL but gave up the pods on AC for the YYZ-BOS-IST-TXL. After factoring in the $203 change fee for the two tickets, we still saved $700 total. I hope that wasn't a mistake to go from pods to the TK angled flat beds!
Pods probably aren't $700 better but I'm cheap. Just don't expect too much out of the seat and you'll be fine with TK. And make sure you take a lot of time enjoying the lounge at IST!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
Air Canada out of Boston Logan

Couple questions on AC out of Logan. I booked a ticket day after Christmas to Montreal, apparently operated by Jazz. My sister is taking another flight, and we will get a ride together, but her's is earlier so I'll have a couple hours to kill. I fly in/out of B a lot on UA, but have never flown out on AC. Does anyone know where the AC gates usually are? My fear is being stuck in B1, B2, B3 which look to be separate from the main terminal. I would like to use United Club (member, so not paying for AA club access on this side). If I'm stuck in the three gate part of the terminal, I may stay outside of security until last minute, IIRC there is a Legal before security.

Also, I had to book a Tango fare ($180 vs. $500+ for full fare--not worth it on a 55 min CRJ flight). I'm not exactly used to flying basic economy... anything to watch out for? I'm assuming they'll want me to check my roll-aboard (larger, fits tightly into most narrow/widebody domestics on UA) for a fee? Should I bring it through security and try tog ate check? I'm sure it's spelled out somewhere just looking for a quick tip.

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:18 am
Suspended

They are located in the "penalty corner" (Gates B1-3). I suggest not going through security to the AC gates until just before departure. The gate area is a horrible holding area.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
They are located in the "penalty corner". I suggest not going through security to the AC gates until just before departure. The gate area is a horrible holding area.
Ouch!! No lounge for me. Although maybe I can go through security in the main terminal to UA club if lines are light and I'm early enough. Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:23 am
Suspended

There is a Dunkin Donuts before security with some benches. Another option is the Ozone bar next to it. Not a bad area to wait 30 mins or so.

Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
There is a Dunkin Donuts before security with some benches. Another option is the Ozone bar next to it. Not a bad area to wait 30 mins or so.
My sister's flight is about 6pm, mine 7pm, and we have a bit of a drive so will likely be early to the airport. Unfortunately I'm stuck for a bit
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sfo2bos
Ouch!! No lounge for me. Although maybe I can go through security in the main terminal to UA club if lines are light and I'm early enough. Thanks for the info.
I usually go to the United Club - it means going through security twice but there's never much of a wait at the AC gates so it's not a big hassle (especially if you have precheck)
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
My sister's flight is about 6pm, mine 7pm, and we have a bit of a drive so will likely be early to the airport. Unfortunately I'm stuck for a bit
Walk out the terminal doors, and keep walking straight across the (covered) parking lot in front of you. In two minutes you'll be in the terminal again, and there's a Legal Seafoods right there. Good food and drink.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by sweden05
Walk out the terminal doors, and keep walking straight across the (covered) parking lot in front of you. In two minutes you'll be in the terminal again, and there's a Legal Seafoods right there. Good food and drink.
Ah that's right--I was there a couple years ago. I'll head that way and hit the club for some free drinks if there is time. Thanks all for the info and thanks mods for the thread merge, somehow missed it when searching.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Also, I had to book a Tango fare ($180 vs. $500+ for full fare--not worth it on a 55 min CRJ flight). I'm not exactly used to flying basic economy... anything to watch out for? I'm assuming they'll want me to check my roll-aboard (larger, fits tightly into most narrow/widebody domestics on UA) for a fee? Should I bring it through security and try tog ate check? I'm sure it's spelled out somewhere just looking for a quick tip.
Looks like your BOS-specific questions were answered, but no one touched this, so I'll try to help.

How big is your roll-aboard? If you say it fits "tightly" on narrow- and wide-bodies, it sounds like a pretty big bag. The CRJ bins are tight - AC's carry-on limits are 21.5" x 15.5" x 9" and even bags that are that size often have trouble fitting in CRJs. Especially if this is a CRJ-200 rather than a CRJ-705.

If your bag is clearly oversize and you go to the check-in desk, some AC agent might force you to check it and pay.

If you get to the gate with it, they will check it for free if it doesn't fit or there's not enough space (if you're on a Tango fare with no status, you will likely be one of the last to board, so the latter is fairly high probability if the flight isn't empty), they'll check it for free.

Unlike the US carriers, AC doesn't really do proper gate check. Other than a few routes, when you check your bag at the gate, you'll need to pick it up at the carousel. I haven't been to BOS in a while, but I don't think BOS-YUL is a route where you would get to pick it up at the gate on the other end.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be preparing to gate-check the bag and pick it up at the carousel.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
Really wish I found this thread before booking my DEN-BOS-YYZ trip today. This won't be one I repeat. Had an 8:30 pm departure to YYZ that was delayed until at least 10:30 pm.

I smartly (and unknowingly) stayed on the UA side of Term B and grabbed a bite & a beer at a Legal there. Literally everything started shutting down by 7:30 in the main part of the terminal and AC spooked me a bit by texting that we were nearing boarding at 8 pm, so I left the secure area to head to the B1-B3 gates.

There were zero people in line to re-clear security at the AC gates. The gate area resembled a holding pen you see when clearing security for Int'l flights from a 3rd world country-- further made worse because it was full of PAX for 4-5 seriously delayed flights. The AC text lied-- we are still delayed until 10:30 at a minimum.

Inside there are two small restrooms (1 M & 1 W) and a snack bar. The snack bar is basically a couple of water/soda coolers, a couple of coffee thermos pumps (no idea how old the coffee is in them), some bagged chips, and a nacho warmer. That's it. It is about 95 F in the room.

i confirmed w/ the AC desk that the plane won't depart earlier. I decided to leave the secure area for some sanity. They advised me a safe time to come back through security was 9:45, so that's what I'll do. TSA gave me a rash of crap for leaving, but they were likely pissed they had to work a bit more. The Ozone Bar is still open, so that's where I am hanging enjoying a beer or two and some snacks until then.

My advice- don't go to the penalty box until you absolutely have to for AC flights from BOS.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN
Originally Posted by Beer Me!
Really wish I found this thread before booking my DEN-BOS-YYZ trip today. This won't be one I repeat. Had an 8:30 pm departure to YYZ that was delayed until at least 10:30 pm.

I smartly (and unknowingly) stayed on the UA side of Term B and grabbed a bite & a beer at a Legal there. Literally everything started shutting down by 7:30 in the main part of the terminal and AC spooked me a bit by texting that we were nearing boarding at 8 pm, so I left the secure area to head to the B1-B3 gates.

There were zero people in line to re-clear security at the AC gates. The gate area resembled a holding pen you see when clearing security for Int'l flights from a 3rd world country-- further made worse because it was full of PAX for 4-5 seriously delayed flights. The AC text lied-- we are still delayed until 10:30 at a minimum.

Inside there are two small restrooms (1 M & 1 W) and a snack bar. The snack bar is basically a couple of water/soda coolers, a couple of coffee thermos pumps (no idea how old the coffee is in them), some bagged chips, and a nacho warmer. That's it. It is about 95 F in the room.

i confirmed w/ the AC desk that the plane won't depart earlier. I decided to leave the secure area for some sanity. They advised me a safe time to come back through security was 9:45, so that's what I'll do. TSA gave me a rash of crap for leaving, but they were likely pissed they had to work a bit more. The Ozone Bar is still open, so that's where I am hanging enjoying a beer or two and some snacks until then.

My advice- don't go to the penalty box until you absolutely have to for AC flights from BOS.
Thanks for the tip! Taking my first flight out of Logan this summer.

Last edited by YEG780; Mar 15, 2017 at 7:01 pm Reason: Accidentally didn't type my reply
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beer Me!
Yep, no way would I go there before 45 minutes before scheduled departure time at the earliest. Most people won't need to get there earlier either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.