Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Huh? So is there no window or is there a window?

Nomad's post upthread IIRC said he flew row 5 because of something to do with the sun and the lack of a window (on a 788 at the time)

Again, this is what my memory is telling me. I'm surprised Seatguru is also - wrong? Or correct?

I'm so lost now.
You're talking about the 788.

Everyone else is talking about the 789.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm so lost now.
This is becoming a bit Who's on First.

If I have it correct I believe:

788 - no window in row 5
789 - proper windows in all rows of J.

Yes?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
This is becoming a bit Who's on First.

If I have it correct I believe:

788 - no window in row 5
789 - proper windows in all rows of J.

Yes?
788 - no windows in row 5
789 - one window in rows 5 and 8
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: TG Gold
Thx for the help, then i stick to row 8 both ways!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
So I finally got to fly on this on Monday night.
I had been very excited. My seat was super comfy until I tried to sleep on my side...then I hit the table...the seat designers have not gone to Design School

Most of the crew had not flown on the aircraft before esp. person heating food in the galley as several omelettes came out ice cold

Oh...my seat was dirty with lots of food crumbs, menu from prior inbound flight, etc but as we know on FT it pays to carry wipes

All in all, a good experience
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: SEMM
787's

Have to say, I have flown on the 787 two or three times. Once in PY and twice in J. Since the J cabin is smaller than other planes in the AC fleet that go over the Atlantic, eUpgrades spots are fewer. When I book my YYZ-LHR flight, the 787 is usually the flight that has J upgrade availability as wait-listed.

The plane is noticeably quieter. I love the big windows. Yes, the lay-flat configuration in J is not as flat as the Pods for the side-sleepers but I am OK with it. My personal preference is still the classic Pods but these seats are all showing their wear and tear.

As the 777's are all being upgraded to the new J seats (which are similar to the 787 J), I will just have to adjust to the new reality. At least the Infotainment screens are better in the new cabins.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by igoping

As the 777's are all being upgraded to the new J seats (which are similar to the 787 J), I will just have to adjust to the new reality.
aka "Dream Cabin"

777 Dream Cabin J pitch (seat to IFE monitor) is slightly less than 788/9 J pitch.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Today Jan 21 2016

AC148 was downgraded from 787-8 to 767 (refugee lift)
AC056 787-9 first time on it, sat in J

Took a few extra seconds to walk to the back, but the IFE is better and table tray works on three preset settings, very nice. You can almost smell the new paint
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Today Jan 21 2016
AC056 787-9 first time on it, sat in J

Took a few extra seconds to walk to the back, but the IFE is better and table tray works on three preset settings, very nice. You can almost smell the new paint
Isn't it nice?

I flew FIN832 for 13 hours yesterday. Last second booking on a triply rebooked/recancelled ticket. What a lovely bird.

I was taking a whizz in the aft J starboard lav and the view of the engine cowling, the full length of the wing, and the moon on the backdrop of a clear blue sky was breathtaking from the lav window.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Today Jan 21 2016
AC148 was downgraded from 787-8 to 767 (refugee lift)
Did you just grumble that your Dreamliner was downguaged because AC had to repurpose it to relocate refugees?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Isn't it nice?

I was taking a whizz in the aft J starboard lav and the view of the engine cowling, the full length of the wing, and the moon on the backdrop of a clear blue sky was breathtaking from the lav window.
I am glad you shared that as I was on FIN 831 and did the exact same thing, even took a little longer than necessary to simply enjoy the total experience.

Originally Posted by yvr76
Did you just grumble that your Dreamliner was downguaged because AC had to repurpose it to relocate refugees?
Yes I did along with a few others and maybe our souls may burn in hell for doing so. I spoke with a crew member who did a refugee run and the first run the kids were hacking on the brand new IFE screens, colouring the bulkheads and anything they can. AC then deployed seat covers which covered all of the seats including the IFE system which they disabled along with some other features. The old 767 has the range, why risk the new product where revenue paying passengers would notice and be disappointed. He said AC used the 787 and Rouge 767 for these airlifts. the management, RCMP and support staff sat in J. Please be creative in your colourful metaphors for the hate mail.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Where do you see AC 787 J-seat improvement?

How do you guys rank Air Canada's 787 business class seats among all the 787 carriers?

I give it 4.5/5.0 for what I have flown. I did not like United's J-class 787, which is less comfortable than their 747 upper desk business class. British Airways' 787 Club World is good, but it feels so narrow (I guess BA's passengers are all skinny), and I also never like the backward seating.

I have flown 4-5 different airlines with 787 aircraft. As an aircraft, I love it, for the Air Canada's 787, I am still having the issues of its J-class seat, and not sure when they retrofit the 777s, those issues will be carried there too.

My major concerns now have two things:
(1) the upper legroom due to the tray table design, which means bending your legs during the sleep is so uncomfortable.
(2) the seat cushion seems to get too thin after a while, causing the uncomfortable butt pain.

I am so impressed by the latest JAL's Sky Suite:

Maybe they put a short person to shoot the photos, but it looks fantastic. They seem to have taken out the upper leg room problem.

Last edited by lespoir; Jan 24, 2016 at 3:21 pm Reason: correction
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by lespoir
My major concerns now have two things:
(1) the upper legroom due to the tray table design, which means bending your legs during the sleep is so uncomfortable.
(2) the seat cushion seems to get too thin after a while, causing the uncomfortable butt pain.
That's why I prefer the Zodiac Cirrus seat on Cathay over the B/E Aerospace Diamond on AC. The tray table comes out from the side on the Cirrus so it doesn't restrict legroom as much.

I've never flow JL in J, but the seat does look good aside from a lack of storage space.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FIN805

Already reported it to the SD but not sure if it got into the log book.

FIN805 seat 5D's moving footrest (not to be mistaken with the footwell's fixed footrest) does not recline flush to the footwell's fixed footrest - only goes as high as around 135 degree incline.

FIN805's port side J cabin aft windows (basically, seat 4A's two windows) are malfunctioning in terms of full shade, which is pretty darn annoying.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
787 introduced on YYC-LHR?

Wondering: does anyone know when AC will introduce the 787 on the YYC-LHR route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.