Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How long before the Concierge Service is gutted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long before the Concierge Service is gutted?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: *G
Does anyone know if a new appointment has been made to lead the Concierge program after the "departure" of the previous head?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Having been SE for many years, my experience(s) with concierges has been most variable. When living in Edmonton, I'd often get calls about flight delays from the concierge. Once in Toronto on my way to LHR, I was greeted and walked through security by one, much impressing my colleague. At the other end, CP's old concierge (David?) was the most amiable and helpful, and he appeared in the BBC series "Airport" and parodied in another British satire on the airport and an LCC. However, when I really needed help with tight connections or cancelled flights of late, they've been nowhere to be found to help. So losing them would not be a great loss in my opinion...particularly as I have decided to ditch AC generally.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Having been SE for many years, my experience(s) with concierges has been most variable. When living in Edmonton, I'd often get calls about flight delays from the concierge. Once in Toronto on my way to LHR, I was greeted and walked through security by one, much impressing my colleague. At the other end, CP's old concierge (David?) was the most amiable and helpful, and he appeared in the BBC series "Airport" and parodied in another British satire on the airport and an LCC. However, when I really needed help with tight connections or cancelled flights of late, they've been nowhere to be found to help. So losing them would not be a great loss in my opinion...particularly as I have decided to ditch AC generally.
David still there and always helpful ,polite and courteous.I stop in to say hi
I am still with AC and the benefit can be very helpful. I call on them when required. No reason to use them in quite some time
To be fair ,I ditched UA, generally, quite some time ago.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:10 pm

I will take expert and efficient over amiable and helpful any day.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by acysb87
To be fair ,I ditched UA, generally, quite some time ago.
Good move! Though you don't seem to have completely ditched them. I did!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
In my experience, they are always there when you need them (except in YUL, where they are completely absent all the time). When the big snowstorm hit YYZ this last winter, they helped me get out on the first flight out. A minor miracle considering the state the airport was in. And they got my colleague on the flight too. Since the thread is pure speculation however, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over this.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Good move! Though you don't seem to have completely ditched them. I did!
Wish I could. Places like Palm Springs CA, and Louisville,Kentucky are destinations I cannot get to on AC direct.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by fin 645
Does anyone know if a new appointment has been made to lead the Concierge program after the "departure" of the previous head?
That would be a good indication where AC is taking the program. Holding on to Concierge Service doesn't quite fit in to the new defensive line of We're just falling in line with other airlines yada yada that AC spits out each time they've been dialling back benefits recently.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by fin 645
Andrew was in charge of the concierges since DADS left. I believe it's just an interim position however. (I heard DADS went to SPG.)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Couldn't agree more with some of the previous posters. AC supervises Concierges' actions so they are paralyzed with fear of being reprimanded. I had one concierge tell me that if she upgraded me the way she used to 4+ years ago, she would have an email the next morning asking her to justify her actions.
Impressive. Concierges service AC's more important customers, yet making those customers happy causes a concierge to risk being disciplined.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Yes, they have hired a replacement based in Montreal...a guy named Mark or Michael...did not pay close attention

Some Concierges in YYZ are wonderful, others not so much... Wish there was greater consistency

Best in YVR
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Wings100
Yes, they have hired a replacement based in Montreal...a guy named Mark or Michael...did not pay close attention

Some Concierges in YYZ are wonderful, others not so much... Wish there was greater consistency

Best in YVR
Yes, I've found varying levels in YYZ. Concierges can be extremely helpful if you know how to ask for things. For example, "there was a schedule change, can you please change my flights to... (something completely different)" works if that's true. SDCs are possible too sometimes further in advance than otherwise.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:48 am

Although I tend to avoid YYZ, that is where I have had the best service from the concierge. I do think that the service is very variable, and seems to be less effective outside Canada.

I never really understood why I had a 'concierge'; I just want someone to help me to resolve an issue quickly and efficiently, and to be able to do more than just protect me on a later flight with the same routing. For that the UA staff are generally great.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:02 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by exbayern
Although I tend to avoid YYZ, that is where I have had the best service from the concierge. I do think that the service is very variable, and seems to be less effective outside Canada.

I never really understood why I had a 'concierge'; I just want someone to help me to resolve an issue quickly and efficiently, and to be able to do more than just protect me on a later flight with the same routing. For that the UA staff are generally great.
I'm guessing you've never been to SYD.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:17 am

I think that the question is more having used their service rather than having been somewhere or having needed the service. 98% of the time I don't need their services. I only need them during irregular ops or odd situations. I've never seen a need for this group otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.