FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   How long before the Concierge Service is gutted? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1507187-how-long-before-concierge-service-gutted.html)

Far Siren Sep 29, 13 6:30 am

How long before the Concierge Service is gutted?
 
Since I've never been an SE, I never got a chance to experience the Concierge Service. But from what I've read here, it's one of the most sought-after perks of being an SE100K.

With all the recent cutbacks, devaluations, gutting of the FF program - whatever you want to call it - do you guys not think that the Concierge Service is also in AC's crosshairs?

The website indicates that there are 150+ concierge agents in the workforce, and quite a few stationed outside of N. America. This must have some impact on AC's bottom line.

Finally, if they did decide to do away with this program, would it influence your decision to go for SE100K status?

BarrieTravelGuy Sep 29, 13 7:11 am

How long before the Concierge Service is gutted?
 
I've had some great service from the Concierges over the years. And some not so great service. The big thing for me was being able to get a hold of someone who could help in IROPS. It was a big worry of switching to United; however, that has been one of the best surprises at United. I've gotten better service from agents in the United Club or even just check-in. I believe it for one simple reason - they are not terrified of getting in trouble from management. I've had them move me into F, J Y and B fares to make sure I get to my destination. Send me to different cities and pay for ground transportation so I can make a meeting. Take an earlier flight or later flight at no charge. Every time I asked the concierge something it was "I'm going to get in trouble for doing that". BTW - I'm not asking United to do something they shouldn't. They are offering up these options. Same with AC. I just asked to get to my destination.

rankourabu Sep 29, 13 8:41 am


Originally Posted by sjhanlon (Post 21523347)
I've had some great service from the Concierges over the years. And some not so great service. The big thing for me was being able to get a hold of someone who could help in IROPS. It was a big worry of switching to United; however, that has been one of the best surprises at United. I've gotten better service from agents in the United Club or even just check-in. I believe it for one simple reason - they are not terrified of getting in trouble from management. I've had them move me into F, J Y and B fares to make sure I get to my destination. Send me to different cities and pay for ground transportation so I can make a meeting. Take an earlier flight or later flight at no charge. Every time I asked the concierge something it was "I'm going to get in trouble for doing that". BTW - I'm not asking United to do something they shouldn't. They are offering up these options. Same with AC. I just asked to get to my destination.

shhhhhhh... can we just continue to let AC SE's believe that the concierge is a benefit that other airlines dont provide.


The UC agents are the best. Oh your flight to BUF is delayed by an hour, we'll just send you to YYZ.. No charge. No hassle.

gglave Sep 29, 13 9:36 am

Agreed - I've always been impressed with how empowered UA agents are to 'make it right.'

ac777 Sep 29, 13 9:38 am

It will be gutted next year after they have announced the SE benefits. You can protest but you will be told that "in the interests of being fair to all passengers and economic considerations this benefit has been identified by our focus group as being unnecessary. In keeping with our listening to our customers policy we have therefore cancelled this benefit"

jlisi984 Sep 29, 13 11:24 am


Originally Posted by ac777 (Post 21523757)
It will be gutted next year after they have announced the SE benefits. You can protest but you will be told that "in the interests of being fair to all passengers and economic considerations this benefit has been identified by our focus group as being unnecessary. In keeping with our listening to our customers policy we have therefore cancelled this benefit"

If this is true I will finally be out! Bye bye SE!

YYZC2 Sep 29, 13 11:42 am


Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 21523577)
shhhhhhh... can we just continue to let AC SE's believe that the concierge is a benefit that other airlines dont provide.


The UC agents are the best. Oh your flight to BUF is delayed by an hour, we'll just send you to YYZ.. No charge. No hassle.

UA agents are great for working with you during IROPS. Way better than AC (on average).

Also loved getting single-agent phone assistance from the 1K desk (reservations / awards / baggage / etc). Far preferable to getting "priority access" to several different call centres.

ulyparis Sep 29, 13 11:48 am

With some neuro-linguistic programming it becomes

Originally Posted by ac777 (Post 21523757)
"in the interests of being fair to all passengers and economic considerations this benefit has been identified by our focus group as being unnecessary. In keeping with our listening to our customers policy this service is now provided by a new exclusive super elite website which will tell you how great our relationship with our Super Elite clientele is"


Cana2013 Sep 29, 13 12:06 pm


Originally Posted by ac777 (Post 21523757)
It will be gutted next year after they have announced the SE benefits. You can protest but you will be told that "in the interests of being fair to all passengers and economic considerations this benefit has been identified by our focus group as being unnecessary. In keeping with our listening to our customers policy we have therefore cancelled this benefit"

This is definitely very negative. Hope they can come up with something else to make people happy.

airbus320 Sep 29, 13 1:32 pm

While I have been quite cynical about "enhanced benefits", the concierge service is the hallmark of being a super Elite. I do not think that AC will tinker with this one.

Now for accumulation levels, upgrades, and other SE benefits, all bets are off.

I am good friends with a concierge. I will get the scoop tomorrow.

margarita girl Sep 29, 13 1:32 pm

Couldn't agree more with some of the previous posters. AC supervises Concierges' actions so they are paralyzed with fear of being reprimanded. I had one concierge tell me that if she upgraded me the way she used to 4+ years ago, she would have an email the next morning asking her to justify her actions.

Run of the mill UA agents seem to be able to do what it takes to make you happy even if it means changing your fare class to full Y to improve your odds at upgrading.

As for gutting the concierge service, that will be done "at the request of our loyal Altitude members ..." ;)

exbayern Sep 29, 13 1:42 pm

I'm honestly surprised at the replies here because I thought that it was just me.... It's one thing I would be happy to see taken away, if replaced by the UA type service I have received over the years.

acysb87 Sep 29, 13 2:34 pm


Originally Posted by airbus320 (Post 21524789)
While I have been quite cynical about "enhanced benefits", the concierge service is the hallmark of being a super Elite. I do not think that AC will tinker with this one.

Now for accumulation levels, upgrades, and other SE benefits, all bets are off.

I am good friends with a concierge. I will get the scoop tomorrow.

When you see the concierge,ask why all the pictures are off the walls at YYZ concierge office.(I like it that all the hollywood stars are gone BTW) Noted that on my way through a few weeks ago

airbus320 Sep 29, 13 3:59 pm


Originally Posted by acysb87 (Post 21525043)
When you see the concierge,ask why all the pictures are off the walls at YYZ concierge office.(I like it that all the hollywood stars are gone BTW) Noted that on my way through a few weeks ago

The concierge does not work in YYZ. ;)

yyznomad Sep 29, 13 4:16 pm


Originally Posted by acysb87 (Post 21525043)
When you see the concierge,ask why all the pictures are off the walls at YYZ concierge office.(I like it that all the hollywood stars are gone BTW) Noted that on my way through a few weeks ago

I was told by one of them that they pics will be back up eventually... no?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.