Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How long before the Concierge Service is gutted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long before the Concierge Service is gutted?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I think you should tell that to the man that drops $1200 from YSB to PIT - clearly a bottom feeder, should be spending $5000 to be worthy......
Heck ,I spend 10K on latitude inter-continental flight passes

BTW,upping the 1200.00 to 1400.00 to get to Louisville and includes 2 more segments on UA. Does flying UA make me a bottom feeder or worthy? ;-)

Last edited by acysb87; Oct 1, 2013 at 8:53 pm
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Whether I paid $500 and used my brain to upgrade, and someone else spent $5000 of their silver spoon money, we still get the same concierge
Have to agree with this. When I first went into sales, my manager used to say "I can hire a high school drop out if all I want is someone to get the business by cutting the price". It doesn't take any brains to take the easy way, anymore than it doesn't take a Mensa candidate to pay top dollar for an airline ticket to ride up front. I admire much more someone who can achieve the same result at a fraction of the cost by being resourceful. But that's just me.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe many/most of the posters here are resourceful.I know I am.(personal opinion). It seems the airlines and FF programs have caught up to our resourceful initiatives that are well documented here and other IBBs.Many are slamming the aggresive position airlines are taking to becoming profitable.(or fill the blank with many other reasons)
The speed of cuts are increasing in frequency and depth of takeaway.

While I may have seen this coming,the pace and rapid demise of program(s) is alarming

I believe we can all agree that the 'hey days' are gone.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
Yes - that is what I said in my earlier post. Although interesting that if this was in FRA or MUC, the connection time would have been legal.
And so what if your cnx was legal at SIN/NRT/HKG or a dozen other airports too? It's like saying I want to settle my grocery bill in Canada with Singapore Dollars cause it's legal tender/customary tender in Singapore and Brunei. Totally irrelevant.

Originally Posted by The Lev
Agreed, although I'm not sure what connections there are out of YEG after 11:00 PM and likely few urgent meetings too. Anyway, as I pointed out, allowing me to board would not have delayed the departure.

Note: at no point was my post intended as a complaint about being mistreated by AC - I know the rules and in the end I was put on my "legal" connection. I was simply dealing with the topic at hand which is that in the "old days" there is no way that a SE standing at the gate five minutes before scheduled departure would have been denied boarding and a Concierge would have been willing and able to ensure that.
How do you know this? Based on conjecture etc.? Unless that SE owns the airline it's highly unlikely that would simply happen just cause it's an SE!

Truth is the airline would only delay the flight if it makes financial sense (i.e. a big group are misconnecting and it would cost the airline more to re-route or accommodate than to hold the plane) or coincidentally happens that the baggage handlers are busy or something else to that effect.

(I understand you are not complaining.)
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Whether I paid $500 and used my brain to upgrade, and someone else spent $5000 of their silver spoon money, we still get the same concierge
Except that you're not using your brain to upgrade. You're using your luck to upgrade. While you can stand sitting in the Y cabin in case the upgrade fails, some people cannot. If one has the resource (that you don't have), why not confirm the upgrade before hand?

If you paid $500 on a mistake fare, you're not smarter, you're just lucky to find a mistake fare. It's a one-off thing. Can't do it all the time.

Or if you do FD, you may be smarter, but you'd have to be very flexible on what cabin you ride on and on what route you fly. This is again not something that can be done day in and day out.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by payam81
How do you know this? Based on conjecture etc.? Unless that SE owns the airline it's highly unlikely that would simply happen just cause it's an SE!
Actually, they held the airplane for my wife once because she's an SE!

She was taking YYZ-YVR-ICN. Her YYZ-YVR flight was severely delayed because it had to turn back to the gate to fix something. The connection time became 5 minutes between the scheduled arrival at YVR and the scheduled departure of the AC63 (YVR-ICN flight). She was traveling alone while I was at home. I called the concierge and asked her what she can do. The concierge actually had a cart ready at the gate waiting for her and took her to the departing AC63. As soon as she boarded, the door was closed. The plane was late for 5 minutes leaving the gate. Her bags didn't make it but at least she did.

The concierge driving the cart told her she did this because she is SE.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Had forgotten Kelvin was on Airport so looked up some episodes with him.

Here's one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyA9MiHrVuw

The funny thing is that everyone thinks upgrades were better in the 'old days' but in the two I watched Kelvin managed only one upgrade and that was to only one of a group of travelers. The rest remained in the back.
Thanks for posting. Hadn´t seen the Airport series before. Seems like Kelvin was features in several episodes, here´s another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acld1q0wLGg
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by jarusoba
The concierge driving the cart told her she did this because she is SE.
Of course that's what they say. The concierge wouldn't say "It looks like there is a small mechanical issue they are working on so the flight is actually probably delayed a bit anyway". My point is it's unlikely being an SE is the sole reason they apparently held the plane.

If the conditions allow them, they may hold the plane when it makes sense but if it starts costing money, someone's head will roll. The crew gets paid by the hour and not to mention the extra airport fees involved if the plane misses the scheduled departure etc.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by payam81
Of course that's what they say. The concierge wouldn't say "It looks like there is a small mechanical issue they are working on so the flight is actually probably delayed a bit anyway". My point is it's unlikely being an SE is the sole reason they apparently held the plane.

If the conditions allow them, they may hold the plane when it makes sense but if it starts costing money, someone's head will roll. The crew gets paid by the hour and not to mention the extra airport fees involved if the plane misses the scheduled departure etc.
I think the "real" reason is that they had two YYZ-YVR planes late. The AC63 YYZ-YVR had mechanical and was subsequently canceled. Luckily I put my wife on the earlier AC flight to YVR because I wanted her to accrue a bit more points. Her flight hardly made it. But the AC63 YVR-ICN still operated, using a different 763. But that flight was very empty because a lot of connecting pax were stuck in YYZ due to the dead 763 sitting there. AC might want to wait for my wife because there would be one less pax stuck due to mechanical.

Just my speculation.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Have we learned nothing from our elders?

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Have to agree with this. When I first went into sales, my manager used to say "I can hire a high school drop out if all I want is someone to get the business by cutting the price". It doesn't take any brains to take the easy way, anymore than it doesn't take a Mensa candidate to pay top dollar for an airline ticket to ride up front. I admire much more someone who can achieve the same result at a fraction of the cost by being resourceful. But that's just me.
I agree with this. Since when was it "in vogue" to waste? Whether this waste be money, energy, or time? Similar to MG, I was brought up in a home where we saved the wrapping paper and bows, where we didn't get dessert unless our plates were cleaned, and where shutting off unused lights was common practice. Where have we gone wrong where someone thinks it's cool to spend $5000 when someone else only spends $500 on the same product and then proceeds to boast about it. Have we learned nothing from our elders?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by huntk
I agree with this. Since when was it "in vogue" to waste? Whether this waste be money, energy, or time? Similar to MG, I was brought up in a home where we saved the wrapping paper and bows, where we didn't get dessert unless our plates were cleaned, and where shutting off unused lights was common practice. Where have we gone wrong where someone thinks it's cool to spend $5000 when someone else only spends $500 on the same product and then proceeds to boast about it. Have we learned nothing from our elders?
The problem is the one who spent $500 is NOT getting the same product as the one who spent $5000, though he believes he is.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by huntk
Similar to MG, I was brought up in a home where we saved the wrapping paper and bows, [...]
Arrows too?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jarusoba
The problem is the one who spent $500 is NOT getting the same product as the one who spent $5000, though he believes he is.

how is it different??? Do tell?

same concierge
same seat
same food
gets in and out at same time

the only difference is that the one that spent $500 is sitting there with $4500 in their pocket.

Now, to most people $4500 is quite a bit of money - mortgage payments, karate lessons for kids, groceries, whatever.

Even for people with a lot of money, if they've had to work for that money, spending $5k on a crappy AC seat that can be had for a fraction of the cost, would be a waste.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm Reason: personal comments
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

same concierge
same seat
same food
gets in and out at same time.
Apart from being treated differently in case of IRROPS, inability to change, need to book a year in advance. Need to pick one of the few dates when there is availability.

Much more inflexible. Even compared with Z. Which BTW is why I object when I see people valuing awards based on J/C/D/Z prices.

Mind you, I would normally never buy a full J seat if I can get a confirmed upgrade on a latitude pass. I don't think I have ever paid more than $4200 for a ticket, except once for a RTW ticket, and once for an LHR-YYC (stop)-SYD-YYC (stop)-LHR in J, which effectively worked as both an LHR-YYC round trip plus a YYC-SYD round trip.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:29 am

same concierge
same seat
same food
gets in and out at same time
I told you that before if you read my earlier posts. Reward tickets are not the same as revenue tickets. You can't fly a reward ticket at any time you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.