Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Not sure if this does the trick, but I overpaid my CC by $10 to generate a statement
It shows only a $10 credit (I haven't used it since I met $500) on my Dec 17 statement (my #4, Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec) and a welcome bonus of 25K
As long as you make a payment, a statement should be generated. No need to overpay.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
AMEX rep told me you only get a statement if balance is not $0, so I didn't get my #1 statement on Sept 17 as I haven't spent anything on it in time

Not sure if this does the trick, but I overpaid my CC by $10 to generate a statement
It shows only a $10 credit (I haven't used it since I met $500) on my Dec 17 statement (my #4, Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec) and a welcome bonus of 25K
This doesn't quite make sense to me. I would think as long as there is a transaction they need to generate a statement to document the activity. I made one purchase on this cc and paid it shortly thereafter in this billing cycle - so I guess I'll find out next week if I get a statement, but I'll be surprised if I don't. I'll be annoyed too since I'm expecting a referral on it.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
This doesn't quite make sense to me. I would think as long as there is a transaction they need to generate a statement to document the activity. I made one purchase on this cc and paid it shortly thereafter in this billing cycle - so I guess I'll find out next week if I get a statement, but I'll be surprised if I don't. I'll be annoyed too since I'm expecting a referral on it.
You will receive a statement. Any transaction is sufficient to generate a statement. The only way that a statement would not be generated would be if there was $0 balance at beginning of cycle and $0 at the end of the cycle with no purchases/returns/payments in the meantime to account for $0 end balance.

If Jerry used the card zilch in the month and had no balance at the start of the month so had no need to make a payment, he could force a statement without needing to use the card for a purchase by "adding $10 credit".

I do not routinely use this card, I prefer my Gold MR for double points, otherwise SPG, and made some travel purchases with Plat for the insurance coverage. However I will still put $100 a month on to it at Starbucks and lunches just to keep it in good standing.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:58 pm

mark got it (thanks for expanding on it)

I overpaid by $10 to FORCE a statement generation, since I don't use/carry this card at all after the first $500 (so my balance would've been $0 with no transaction).
I only use the card to refer others
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: AP, SPG Gold, CX Gold
Got my 3rd statement today, very happy to report the remaining 25k points were there! They came as one 25k chunk.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AC*E35K, AP*dBlack
Correct. My link or someone you know

And it is 60,000 amex MR points, which can transfer to 60k aeroplan, or 90k avios during a 50% bonus transfer

Okay, and just to be clear: the Platinum card will still give me access to the MLLs across Canada (same as the AeroplanPlus Plat)?

I tried searching this information but the results seem confusing - also, Amex doesn't do the greatest job specifying for this particular perk.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
No, the platinum gives you a priority pass which allows you to access other lounges but not MLL.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YYTworldwide
Okay, and just to be clear: the Platinum card will still give me access to the MLLs across Canada (same as the AeroplanPlus Plat)?

I tried searching this information but the results seem confusing - also, Amex doesn't do the greatest job specifying for this particular perk.

Thanks!!
Nope.

Plat does not get MLLs, it gets access to lounges through a series of different programs:

1. Access to DL, AA lounges when using their metal, Amex and US lounges on any metal (NB status of AA-US uncertain as this benefit has been removed for new AA for US cardholders albeit with generous compensation).

2. Access to any oneworld lounge during your first year via your Cathay Pacific one year gold status, whenever flying oneworld metal.

3. Access to any Priority Pass lounge irrespective of metal. Overseas MLLs are generally covered by this (CDG, LHR arrival, LAX, EWR - not London Lounge/FRA). No domestic MLLs are included. A full list is here, albeit somewhat out of date:

http://www.prioritypass.com/Members/...eDirectory.pdf

If you fly internationally and especially if you are not always flying AC, this is a much broader and better lounge program me. The Priority Pass lounges range from excellent to barely worth visiting, but always better than the airport terminal. Every one world lounge I have visited has been excellent, far better than any MLL.

Domestic flyers using minor stations will generally be better served by Aeroplat.

Enjoy Jerry's referral if you don't know any existing cardholders!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:05 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by markandrew
Nope.

2. Access to any oneworld lounge during your first year via your Cathay Pacific one year gold status, whenever flying oneworld metal.
Why do you say during your first year? The CX Gold gets renewed (you may have to call AMEX) yearly, this has been discussed on the Amex boards.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by newbie elite
Why do you say during your first year? The CX Gold gets renewed (you may have to call AMEX) yearly, this has been discussed on the Amex boards.
Because there is proof (AMEX sent a letter to someone in BC, Canada) saying MPC Gold will end, unless one flies 30K miles or 20 segments
It's in the other thread in the AMEX MR forum

Anyway, I wish AMEX Canada would come out soon to clarify all these benefits (AA lounge, MPC Gold, or even *A Gold?)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:05 am

Because there is proof (AMEX sent a letter to someone in BC, Canada) saying MPC Gold will end, unless one flies 30K miles or 20 segments

Anyway, I wish AMEX Canada would come out soon to clarify all these benefits (AA lounge, MPC Gold, or even *A Gold?)
Thanks for that, my card expires in one month, CX gold expires on feb28 2014, no sign of a letter like that yet. Might have to churn this one again (was thinking of paying the yearly fee since I am flying BA in may, to keep the status) if they are pulling it after one year. Maybe they are stricter in BC?

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Dec 19, 2013 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

Originally Posted by newbie elite
Thanks for that, my card expires in one month, CX gold expires on feb28 2014, no sign of a letter like that yet. Might have to churn this one again (was thinking of paying the yearly fee since I am flying BA in may, to keep the status) if they are pulling it after one year. Maybe they are stricter in BC?
A one off experience compared to thousands of Amex Plat cards out there, is throwing a wrench into Amex Plat benefits? Or maybe MPC Gold is only available to those who have The Amex Plat card, and if losing the Amex Plat card, the only way of holding onto MPC Gold status is to qualify via traditional means.

I think there would be quite a few reports if this was in fact the case. Perhaps we need to dig deeper with the MPC Gold one off letter?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
A one off experience compared to thousands of Amex Plat cards out there, is throwing a wrench into Amex Plat benefits? Or maybe MPC Gold is only available to those who have The Amex Plat card, and if losing the Amex Plat card, the only way of holding onto MPC Gold status is to qualify via traditional means.

I think there would be quite a few reports if this was in fact the case. Perhaps we need to dig deeper with the MPC Gold one off letter?
What I found the most interesting was the difference in locations: Toronto, status renewed and Vancouver no status. Of course sample size of 2...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:25 pm

We're getting off-topic here

Any MPC Gold discussion is in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-track-23.html

The letter is in this post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21980063-post334.html
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:36 am

It is such a pain in the ... to get that 30k. I don't know how many times I've called amex and they're like oh we'll post them next statement! i got 10k today so total of 15k, still 15k left! worse than pulling teeth!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.