Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite

Just about to book YOW-TPE flights for myself and 5 colleagues.

AC prices via HKG then connection on CX:
  • $2048 for Tango, 50% status miles, not upgradeable, 32" seat pitch
  • $3465 for Flex, 100% status miles, upgradeable if lucky, 32" seat pitch otherwise

Eva Air prices (with YOW-YYZ connections on AC):
  • $1650 for Economy, 80% AC status miles, 33" seat pitch, not upgradeable
  • $2263 for Elite/Evergreen Deluxe class, 100% AC status, miles, 38" seat pitch

Both the Eva options are more attractive. We're booking six tickets on Eva, Elite Evergreen. That's at least $12K AC won't get. And no we didn't need AC's premium economy. We would have booked AC if it was 100% status and upgradeable. Oh well.

Last edited by sweden05; Aug 7, 2013 at 7:43 pm Reason: Noted AC connections on Eva option
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
You should talk to a travel agent specializing in Asia and/or consolidator fares.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:53 pm

How far in advance did you book?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian
You should talk to a travel agent specializing in Asia and/or consolidator fares.
Will that help us get Flex AC fares for considerably less? Or just cheaper Tango? (Or cheaper Eva...)

Our corporate travel is all done via Carlson. Thanks for the comment...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hydrogen
How far in advance did you book?
Booking is for mid September, so a bit over a month in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by sweden05
Will that help us get Flex AC fares for considerably less? Or just cheaper Tango? (Or cheaper Eva...)

Our corporate travel is all done via Carlson. Thanks for the comment...
My TA that has agreements with 22 airlines always has a lower fare, for the same fare class.

I just booked YVR PVG YYZ YOW YVR, travel completed over 7 days. She got me in Z for $350 less than any Z I could find.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

My TA that has agreements with 22 airlines always has a lower fare, for the same fare class.
Ok, that makes sense. The fare comparisons I was listing were from Carlson.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:10 pm

I just booked YVR PVG YYZ YOW YVR, travel completed over 7 days. She got me in Z for $350 less than any Z I could find.
Return as PVG-YYZ-YOW-YVR? Ouch. Painful.

If load is high, AC probably doesn't care if you're not paying the Flex surcharge. Bums will still fill the seat.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:16 pm

Return as PVG-YYZ-YOW-YVR? Ouch. Painful..
I am likely going to choose BR as well for similar reasons (though I am having some problems booking at the moment), but that is a nice MR if it is really that much cheaper .

How does one find these discount Asia consolidators? Does one still get the same EQM? I decided on PE on BR (on AC.com, booking YYJ-SIN, PE doesn't even come up. If I booked it to HKG I would be in Y for the HKG-SIN segment and it would still be several hundred more than BR), but even with $350 off, Z is going to be too expensive for me, I think .

Dr. PITUK
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Based on his earlier posts in this forum, I'm sure Dorian would not fly any such convoluted routing if he is not going to do some business en route in YYZ or YOW. I know I wouldn't.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:38 pm

Have a gov't meeting in YOW....no choice.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Based on his earlier posts in this forum, I'm sure Dorian would not fly any such convoluted routing if he is not going to do some business en route in YYZ or YOW. I know I wouldn't.
Ha! Exactly.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
I am likely going to choose BR as well for similar reasons (though I am having some problems booking at the moment), but that is a nice MR if it is really that much cheaper .

How does one find these discount Asia consolidators? Does one still get the same EQM? I decided on PE on BR (on AC.com, booking YYJ-SIN, PE doesn't even come up. If I booked it to HKG I would be in Y for the HKG-SIN segment and it would still be several hundred more than BR), but even with $350 off, Z is going to be too expensive for me, I think .

Dr. PITUK
Always same equipment or choice thereof...plus booked seats. Doesn't matter what fare you are on. They can also hold multiple itins for a while.

She will never let me get stuck anywhere and has literally worked some bizarro stuff:

I had the last Y seat on KGLBRU on SN (overnight about 8 hour flight). Was the only way out of Rwanda for me. She noted in my file that I'm SE on AC and that I wanted J. After boarding the GA came and got me and moved me up to J. Still no idea how that happened on a $600 one way Y fare.

Give her a call/email if ya want, she is happy to help no matter what, irrelevant of where you are based:

Maria at Omega Travel
[email protected]
604 738-7161
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Just about to book YOW-TPE flights for myself and 5 colleagues.
I choose to avoid AC TPAC almost always. There are more pleasant options on airlines whose staff at least pretend to appreciate your business.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:02 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

If load is high, AC probably doesn't care if you're not paying the Flex surcharge. Bums will still fill the seat.
Flex bums?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.