Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by ylwae
I choose to avoid AC TPAC almost always. There are more pleasant options on airlines whose staff at least pretend to appreciate your business.
On direct lie flats? CX only.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Dorian
On direct lie flats? CX only.
Connecting thru the US.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Connecting thru the US.
Total waste of time. Not only is it not direct, you have to go via the US AND you have to backtrack! Never gonna happen unless I'm on an SQ suites or TG F reward ticket (so maybe a 0.001% chance).
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:12 pm

Connecting thru the US.
Most of us wants to avoid this... I'd rather be in Y on a nonstop than Y+ through the US for the same price. Even with Global Entry.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:15 pm

Total waste of time. Not only is it not direct, you have to go via the US AND you have to backtrack! Never gonna happen unless I'm on an SQ suites or TG F reward ticket (so maybe a 0.001% chance).
I've got time, there's not a lot of backtracking, and it's in F for the most part. On those infrequent occasions where travel is more urgent, I will take AC.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Most of us wants to avoid this... I'd rather be in Y on a nonstop than Y+ through the US for the same price. Even with Global Entry.
I get that. I wasn't advocating it for everyone--I'm saying it's my preference.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:44 pm

I've got time, there's not a lot of backtracking, and it's in F for the most part. On those infrequent occasions where travel is more urgent, I will take AC.
For me to head to HKG via SQ I would have to fly YVR to SFO and get to SFO with good connection times due to SFO holds/fog.

So lets say YVR wait time is a wash (int'l vs US).

I've got 2.5 hours down to SFO and three hours connection time (min) at SFO.

Then I've got 14.5 hours to HKG on SQ (due to backtrack). That is 20 hours.

Instead I take AC7 and I'm in HKG in 13 hours.

Like I said, if the SQ flight was on points....sure.

BTW, I too have the time.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:51 pm

For me to head to HKG via SQ I would have to fly YVR to SFO and get to SFO with good connection times due to SFO holds/fog.
Agree doesn't seem optimal for you. Still works for me.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:59 pm

Agree doesn't seem optimal for you. Still works for me.
Well, assuming you're based in Kelowna you must have quite the hatred for AC to essentially double your travel time to avoid them.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:48 pm

Well, assuming you're based in Kelowna you must have quite the hatred for AC to essentially double your travel time to avoid them.
Hatred is a little strong. But yes, I am willing to put up with extra travel time and some inconvenience for a more pleasant flight.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:11 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Connecting thru the US.
"Most of us"?

Are you sure?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:14 am
Suspended

So lets say YVR wait time is a wash (int'l vs US).

I've got 2.5 hours down to SFO and three hours connection time (min) at SFO.

Then I've got 14.5 hours to HKG on SQ (due to backtrack). That is 20 hours.

Instead I take AC7 and I'm in HKG in 13 hours.

Like I said, if the SQ flight was on points....sure.

BTW, I too have the time.
Dorian, you make absolute sense but some people get the feeling AC is aways out to hammer them on fares and they get emotional about it instead of strategically looking at options like you do.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sweden05
Just about to book YOW-TPE flights for myself and 5 colleagues.

That's at least $12K AC won't get.
That's at least $12K AC won't get from you ... Big difference
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

"Most of us"?

Are you sure?
Most of us want to avoid connecting through the US, I am sure. The only other possibility is most of us enjoy connecting through the States.

Anything that followed after "I'd" applies only to me.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rainorshine
Dorian, you make absolute sense but some people get the feeling AC is aways out to hammer them on fares and they get emotional about it instead of strategically looking at options like you do.
Respectfully, you two - when I read self-serving claptrap like that, I instantly say to myself "Well, isn't that nice... a conversation between two people who don't pay for their own airfare, complimenting each other on finding 'value.'"

Riiiiiiight.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.