Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Dorian
I don't get why anyone cares about this. I have $5 shirts and I have $800 shirts. $800 suits and $5000 suits. Two trips ago I bought $1 socks and underwear (Rwanda with no luggage).
I don't understand why anyone would care either. Just like I don't understand why anyone cares about J/Y seat swapping in the middle of a flight.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
lol I really don't mind paying $500 extra to fly from Canada, and I live in New York. Reasons why are a) more miles ; b) some of the hottest FAs I've had have been on AC, though it seems most SD's are now men (smfh); c) better chance of upgrading on AC; etc. The most important factor is #3.
Yes....that's why I prefer Air Canada
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I don't know if it's the same still, but in 2011 I avoided the fuel surcharge by flying: LAX-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYC, which was more than $600 in savings, and easily offset the $200 positioning flight to LAX.
It is the same. Or at least the net effect seems to be holding. I didn't check the fare breakdown to say if it is the YQ. I need to go YYZ-CDG-YYZ. It is $300 less to go YYZ-MCO-YUL-CDG-EWR-YYZ than either YYZ-CDG-YYZ or YYZ-YUL-CDG-EWR-YYZ.

Fortunately that date in MCO is something I could benefit from doing. No brainer.

Last edited by flyquiet; Aug 12, 2013 at 8:10 pm Reason: clarify
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
Yes....that's why I prefer Air Canada
Men SDs make up stupid rules that the women don't enforce re: kindles on takeoff and wireless mouse in the air. Especially the girly one who I've had the misfortune of flying with 3 times from LAX-YYZ, what are the odds !?!?! - he's a nice guy but insistent that wireless mouse not be used, ...?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
AC fares TPAC to PEK are now a often a tad cheaper than going to PVG, finally some adjustment to competition on that route... So I guess we need to see Shenzhen Air or China Eastern or China Southern put a direct route to Toronto and we might finally get more rational pricing on these legs.... But then again, I'm probably just being hopeful...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
AC fares TPAC to PEK are now a often a tad cheaper than going to PVG, finally some adjustment to competition on that route... So I guess we need to see Shenzhen Air or China Eastern or China Southern put a direct route to Toronto and we might finally get more rational pricing on these legs.... But then again, I'm probably just being hopeful...
I doubt that there is tons of demand YTO-SZX, and even then, most people going there route via HKG.
I do hope for more Chinese service to Canada, as well as more EK/EY/QR service, to hopefully bring down fares in this overpriced market!
(Even xSIN I have seen some tickets to Europe cheaper on a cpm basis from BA than xYVR, and SIN isn't exactly known for being the cheapest airport to fly out of!)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AC-E50K, SPG Gold
Men SDs make up stupid rules that the women don't enforce re: kindles on takeoff and wireless mouse in the air. Especially the girly one who I've had the misfortune of flying with 3 times from LAX-YYZ, what are the odds !?!?! - he's a nice guy but insistent that wireless mouse not be used, ...?
I, for one, happen to prefer the male SD's. Especially the "girly" ones.

Rules schmules. My problem is that I have the misfortune of constantly being seated next to a large, smelly, farty, mind-in-the-gutter, male SE most times I fly J!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:13 am

Usually I find your posts funny. This one not so much. I really, really dislike how you describe the SD as being "girly". This is the kind of bullying children engage in (usually referring to sexual orientation) and I'm sad to see adults engaging in it as well. Though it does explain where kids pick it up. If you know this SD and this is just some inside joke and I've completely missed it, then maybe I'm overreacting.

In any event, how hard is it to turn off your mouse during take off? The rule is anything with an on/off/battery/electric should be off.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Acnyyz
Usually I find your posts funny. This one not so much. I really, really dislike how you describe the SD as being "girly". This is the kind of bullying children engage in (usually referring to sexual orientation) and I'm sad to see adults engaging in it as well. Though it does explain where kids pick it up. If you know this SD and this is just some inside joke and I've completely missed it, then maybe I'm overreacting.

In any event, how hard is it to turn off your mouse during take off? The rule is anything with an on/off/battery/electric should be off.
I apologize I didn't mean it in an offensive way.

And I'm happy turning my mouse off during takeoff, but to be told during a five hour flight that you can't use a wireless mouse is ridiculous. This FA and one other are the only ones that are sticklers for the rule, in my experience.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:43 am

And I'm happy turning my mouse off during takeoff, but to be told during a five hour flight that you can't use a wireless mouse is ridiculous. This FA and one other are the only ones that are sticklers for the rule, in my experience.
I have a lot of respect for your apologizing. ^

Did I misread? You can't use your mouse for the WHOLE flight!? Since when is that even a rule??
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC 75K

Those are the rules (whether they are valid or appropriate is a different issue) - just because you disagree with the enforcement is irrelevant. If you disagree, complain to Transport Canada, it's their rule that AC is enforcing.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:01 pm

Since at least 2008!!!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...our-mouse.html
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The announcement always said you can't use anything that transmits or receives. I don't know why this even surprises you. If you don't like your touchpad, buy a wired mouse.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The announcement always said you can't use anything that transmits or receives. I don't know why this even surprises you. If you don't like your touchpad, buy a wired mouse.
Yes, but there is also a rule against peripheral devices, which would cover off a wired mouse even if it doesn't receive or transmit. I'm speculating, but I'd expect the rule against peripheral devices is due to safety in the event of an evacuation (e.g. if you have laptops with a bunch of wired devices connected, it presents a potential hazard for tripping/tangling).
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gcashin
Yes, but there is also a rule against peripheral devices, which would cover off a wired mouse even if it doesn't receive or transmit. I'm speculating, but I'd expect the rule against peripheral devices is due to safety in the event of an evacuation (e.g. if you have laptops with a bunch of wired devices connected, it presents a potential hazard for tripping/tangling).
That sounds very reasonable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.