Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting observation on SSSS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:15 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

The last time I got the SSSS, I had not entered the passport/API information in advance. When checking in at T-24 it said 'couldn't complete check-in.

Didn't seem to have anything to do with that field.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:23 pm

Had some PM from some other folk.

Maybe we have a data point here.

I really do think it is just an IT thing. Data doesn't match, don't know what to do, throw it out, and mark the record.

Had same thing with UA and AA. They fixed it.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Baldpacker
I work in Yemen so I get the SSSS treatment every time I go to the U.S. It's pretty funny when they claim I've been "randomly selected" when I know very well that there's nothing random about it.

My only contribution to this thread is that if you notice the SSSS on your boarding pass, ensure the security guys notice and properly clear you. In Miami I noticed the SSSS on my BP and thought I was clever by not mentioning it and clearing security as usual. When I went to board the flight, my BP was rejected and they had to call a TSA official to the gate to give me a pat down, and they then had to hold the flight while he ran back to run the gloves through the atomizer. Believe me, there is nothing worse than being the guy getting extra attention at the gate!!
Very interesting, had it two years ago with nexus/GE (yvr-las), did not get extra security at scanners, when it came time to board, pulled aside, got the full rub down and sent on my way, a guy was waiting at gate for me. If I get it again, will definitely point it out.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Man, the last time I got a SSSS was 10 years ago!
Didn't think it still existed!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
SSSS

Based on conversations I had with TSA ground staff and call centre, the point of the SSSS is the that it is random. And he also said it applies to anyone even with GE etc.

IMO, the problem with random is that the concept wastes time on people who are not only low risk-no risk, but worse, on all of those who have had their backgrounds checked, irises and fingerprints scanned. (As someone else pointed out in another thread, the govs now have a beautiful database that is not only voluntary, but they actually charged a fee to get people to volunteer).

But since we're talking about security theatre, we all have to play along.

As for AC IT issues that have affected more than just one of us, well, well one check-in agent told me that she was told the problem is the TSA's fault, I educated her otherwise.

Also, even if the TSA Pre-Check is not meant for ex-Canada flights, it certainly makes a difference having it when departing the U.S. and should appear on boarding passes we can print ourselves....but this is another conversation.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Random? Nonsense.

On a recent late-night YUL-LGA leg, while waiting to clear security in YUL, I noticed the 2 pax in front of me both got SSSS (they hadn't noticed it on their BP) I noticed mine when the agent reprinted my BP after my upgrade, but then I also noticed the 2 pax behind me bot got SSSS as well. So 5 pax in one security line with the "random" SSSS? Bull. It must have been a man-made glitch to cause that many pax to be assigned extra screening, in a row, versus the so-called random selection process. What was funnier was the reaction of the security people who called out to one-another, rolling their eyes, "We've got another one!". I heard this a few times that night waiting in line - it would appear the security people think as little of the SSSS as the pax.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by willflyforfood
On a recent late-night YUL-LGA leg, while waiting to clear security in YUL, I noticed the 2 pax in front of me both got SSSS (they hadn't noticed it on their BP) I noticed mine when the agent reprinted my BP after my upgrade, but then I also noticed the 2 pax behind me bot got SSSS as well. So 5 pax in one security line with the "random" SSSS? Bull. It must have been a man-made glitch to cause that many pax to be assigned extra screening, in a row, versus the so-called random selection process. What was funnier was the reaction of the security people who called out to one-another, rolling their eyes, "We've got another one!". I heard this a few times that night waiting in line - it would appear the security people think as little of the SSSS as the pax.

My quote from TSA or your experience does not change the reality:
Pax get SSSS

BTW, I also found out from someone at AC that the check-in agent can also send a pax off for SSSS. I have no proof, but I'd believe it.

Still does not answer the question: why are pax who are already pre-clearend forced to get groped or have their molecules scattered (all the while someone who is potentially dangerous gets a pass for all the obvious reasons)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
Originally Posted by gater60
I always go for the patdown as i travel frequently enough and there is not enough safety data on the scanners. Yes i know they say they are safe but that is what they said about x rays 50 years ago. Just go for the pat down. It is safer and does not slow you down that much
Exactly. Last time I was going through LHR, I was selected for extra processing... I was forced to go through the scanner. There wasn't even an option to have the pat down.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
My quote from TSA or your experience does not change the reality:
Pax get SSSS

BTW, I also found out from someone at AC that the check-in agent can also send a pax off for SSSS. I have no proof, but I'd believe it.

Still does not answer the question: why are pax who are already pre-clearend forced to get groped or have their molecules scattered (all the while someone who is potentially dangerous gets a pass for all the obvious reasons)
Umm, your molecules? Size problems?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Prewrappedbacon
Originally Posted by gater60
I always go for the patdown as i travel frequently enough and there is not enough safety data on the scanners. Yes i know they say they are safe but that is what they said about x rays 50 years ago. Just go for the pat down. It is safer and does not slow you down that much
Exactly. Last time I was going through LHR, I was selected for extra processing... I was forced to go through the scanner. There wasn't even an option to have the pat down.
They only recently added the option to opt out in the UK (last November, I think)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Umm, your molecules? Size problems?

Mr. Penguin
No size problems with my molecules and I wasn't talking about me.
Pre-NEXUS, I was going through the see-thru box at LAX a couple of times a month. I was more annoyed at the same female TSA agent who wanted to touch my pants. Ugh. the same women. 3 times in 6 weeks. Ah, so many things I could have said.....never mind.

Security Theatre and we are all unpaid actors (my line)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
Mr. Penguin
No size problems with my molecules and I wasn't talking about me.
Pre-NEXUS, I was going through the see-thru box at LAX a couple of times a month. I was more annoyed at the same female TSA agent who wanted to touch my pants. Ugh. the same women. 3 times in 6 weeks. Ah, so many things I could have said.....never mind.

Security Theatre and we are all unpaid actors (my line)
First world problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.