FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Interesting observation on SSSS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1485637-interesting-observation-ssss.html)

IluvSQ Jul 17, 2013 5:05 am

Interesting observation on SSSS

So 2 days ago I tried to OLCI for my son and myself for a flight YYZ-BOS,
and got the message " Sorry, cannot check you in at this time" that usually signals SSSS. So I tried to check in myself only - same message. Then I tried
my son only - success! BP issued.

When we got to the airport yesterday, yes, my BP came out SSSS as anticipated. What was surprising was that my boarding number was 0008, while my son's ( from 20 hours earlier) was 0009. So I guess that they actually do check you in during the OLCI process, only cannot print the BP when you are SSSS.

Another new one for me: I was given the option of pat-down or nude-o-gram. I picked the scan, went into the machine, took the tissues and cash from my pocket, held them in my hands, and assumed the position. A CATSA
person asked me to put the cash in some receptacle. I refused, and said I
had always held it in my hands before. He insisted that I hand over the cash.
I refused ( I would never let my cash out of sight, and it was a substantial
amount - 4 figures). So I walked out of the machine and let them pat me down ( cash in hand) instead. I would love to hear the explanations behind this.

InTheAirGuy Jul 17, 2013 6:41 am

The dude needed money to buy his Tim Horton's?

acysb87 Jul 17, 2013 7:20 am

$10.00 is four figures :p:cool::D

I will try to get an answer from someone I know at CATSA

D582 Jul 17, 2013 7:32 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 21111236)
What was surprising was that my boarding number was 0008, while my son's ( from 20 hours earlier) was 0009. So I guess that they actually do check you in during the OLCI process, only cannot print the BP when you are SSSS.

Sequence number is assigned when you create a check-in session, not when you actually finish check-in. Many times I will open OLCI at T-24 and then quit the session. At the airport when I check in, I still get a low SEQ like 001, 002 etc.

tinchote Jul 17, 2013 7:49 am

I think they want you to leave everything out to minimize the number of false positives.

A couple weeks ago I was sent through the see-through machine at YUL. I went through and it show 4 or 5 "positives" (yellow spots on the scanned image). I told the guy, and he verified it, that on those spots there was nothing but fabric and skin. He made me go again into the machine, and now other 4 or 5 spots showed, none the same as the previous time. A complete waste of time; I'm never going through that machine again.

vernonc Jul 17, 2013 8:14 am

Had to go thru some of these machines at US airports and TSA told me to hold my cash as I went thru the scan as they did not want to be responsible for it. Went thru the cash/papers and wallet manually after the scan.

mkjr Jul 17, 2013 8:46 am

i don't just refuse, i specifically say i do not trust you with my wallet, cash and CC's...period. tell them not to take it personally but i assume you are all theives. :D

fin 645 Jul 17, 2013 8:53 am

I had a similar discussion about valuables while being SSSS'd at YVR earlier this year. My personal items were put through the usual scanner, and I was apparently expected to forget about them while I did my scan. I objected and said I had no intention of letting my bag out of sight. As I said at the time, the pick up side of the scanner is the most insecure place in the airport. We compromised on the one important small bag being held by the CATSA agent.

As for the personal scanner, last week at YVR connections, I was randomly selected for the scan, and twice it showed those yellow squares (in different places). So a quick manual patdown ensued and of course showed nothing. What's the problem - the machines, the CATSA operation of them or something else? The agent said I had not stood still which is nonsense. Also surprised that the image is visible to all.

I've been through the US machines many times - never a problem and never see the image.

canadiancow Jul 17, 2013 9:04 am

Originally Posted by fin 645 (Post 21112265)
I had a similar discussion about valuables while being SSSS'd at YVR earlier this year. My personal items were put through the usual scanner, and I was apparently expected to forget about them while I did my scan. I objected and said I had no intention of letting my bag out of sight. As I said at the time, the pick up side of the scanner is the most insecure place in the airport. We compromised on the one important small bag being held by the CATSA agent.

As for the personal scanner, last week at YVR connections, I was randomly selected for the scan, and twice it showed those yellow squares (in different places). So a quick manual patdown ensued and of course showed nothing. What's the problem - the machines, the CATSA operation of them or something else? The agent said I had not stood still which is nonsense. Also surprised that the image is visible to all.

I've been through the US machines many times - never a problem and never see the image.

I've never been through a TSA scanner where the screen with the image wasn't easily visible by everyone.

I've only once had a random yellow square though, and I'm sure it was just picking up a button on my pants or something.

zsm1928 Jul 17, 2013 10:43 am

on another note regardong SSSS, i dont think its random as I get chosen once a month.

Shareholder Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am

What does SSSS have to do with CATSA? Thought it was for a US secondary inquisition, not security.

As for carry 4-figures of cash in your pocket...that's utter lunacy to begin with. Not to mention the utter paranoia...there are cameras everywhere so who's going to risk stealing anything? That you're foolish enough to actually put that much money onto your person knowing you were getting a full body workover in itself is foolish. Just keep the wallet and money in one of your bags since nobody but yourself knows what's inside the bag.

canadiancow Jul 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 21113225)
What does SSSS have to do with CATSA? Thought it was for a US secondary inquisition, not security.

SSSS is security.

An AC agent said I was "Selected for Special Security Screening".

I've only ever had it going into the US, and only once, but it's part of security, not customs.

ffsim Jul 17, 2013 12:22 pm

As far as I can tell, it's definitely security. The very first CATSA agent I come across when I go through security with SSSS takes my boarding pass and I never see it again until I go through the entire process and get my fancy little stamp at the end of it.

As for carry 4-figures of cash in your pocket...that's utter lunacy to begin with. Not to mention the utter paranoia...there are cameras everywhere so who's going to risk stealing anything? That you're foolish enough to actually put that much money onto your person knowing you were getting a full body workover in itself is foolish. Just keep the wallet and money in one of your bags since nobody but yourself knows what's inside the bag.

C'mon, CATSA, and to a larger extent the TSA, are notorious for stealing items when pax aren't looking. I agree with OP; under no circumstances to I let my cash out of my sight whether I'm carrying $50 or $5000. As a matter of fact, we're explicitly instructed in the US to keep our cash with us. It's common sense and has nothing to do with paranoia.

bawm Jul 17, 2013 12:22 pm

If you are taking a flight bound for a US destination, you may end up with SSSS. CATSA handles it for Canadian departures, of course. But it can happen in Europe as well - it has happened to me in ZRH.

bawm

Doc Savage Jul 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by zsm1928 (Post 21112953)
on another note regardong SSSS, i dont think its random as I get chosen once a month.

Are you some kinda shifty character, or what...?:D