Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Wow and they got sued over not offering Sprite in French?
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Some people are full of bs, I think they should do things like label exits in French but sprite??? That’s kind of extreme. (I’m 75% fluent in French, unlike most of my fellow Torontonians )

Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
I wasn’t able to connect with the lower price but was rather strange...
Probably because the $21.50 fare was a mistake? I’ve only had $26 displayed on TATLs. But if the $21.50 fare worked I’d probably point it out.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
It was from GRU but I guess it’s the same rate. Was not super fast though... Much faster on my way to GRU then on the way back. Who knows why?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@yyztozag I see you've updated the wiki to show all 789s as having WiFi. Are you just going off AC's WiFi page for that? It hasn't always been accurate in the past.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
lol!
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@yyztozag I see you've updated the wiki to show all 789s as having WiFi. Are you just going off AC's WiFi page for that? It hasn't always been accurate in the past.
curious about this as well. Have an upcoming 789 flight that says no wifi on AC flight tool but I thought all 789s have Wi-Fi. Any idea?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC WiFi page and flight status. I checked about 15 B789 flights on the status page and sure enough, all of them had WiFi.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by seegs
curious about this as well. Have an upcoming 789 flight that says no wifi on AC flight tool but I thought all 789s have Wi-Fi. Any idea?
Did you have wifi? If not, what fin was it?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyztozag
AC WiFi page and flight status. I checked about 15 B789 flights on the status page and sure enough, all of them had WiFi.
The flight status page has historically not been accurate either. For years it would say every CR9 flight had WiFi, even when 5/21 of the planes didn't. And sometimes it would say no WiFi on flights that did have it.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Did you have wifi? If not, what fin was it?
will report back after the flight. App is now showing Fin852 but that can change before Wednesday.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:38 am

I'm confident 852 has wifi. I'm not sure about the entire fleet.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:07 pm

I'm confident 852 has wifi. I'm not sure about the entire fleet.
In that case, I think we should revert the wiki, which I've done.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm flying FIN 849 tonight (YYZ-LAX), website shows 'No Wifi Available' but Wiki here shows "789: 831-852" as having Wifi... anyone know about 849 by chance?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by AskTravis
I'm flying FIN 849 tonight (YYZ-LAX), website shows 'No Wifi Available' but Wiki here shows "789: 831-852" as having Wifi... anyone know about 849 by chance?
If the wiki says it has WiFi, that should be reliable.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:42 am

Oh good we finally get to test my source

But then even when an aircraft has it installed, that's no guarantee it will work for some/most/all of the flight.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.