Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I wanted to double-check on the speed of the monthly pass to make sure I was correct above. There was a new landing page for the WiFi yesterday. It made no disclosure about the speed. So I used the chat feature to ask Gogo. Unfortunately, my discussion with "Maria" was not particularly enlightening, as she clearly didn't understand the question or know anything about the AC product. Ultimately she did tell me that it should include the streaming quality, but I'm not at all confident that she was correct, since she pointed me to a portion of Gogo's T&C that was totally irrelevant.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I suspect that no matter how much information is provided in terms of potential coverage dead zones, best effort, data rate, etc., people will still be disappointed / pissed off when their WiFi doesn't work to their expectations.
No doubt about that, but I still think it's improper to sell a "full flight" WiFi pass with no warning about outages when they know the WiFi is going to be unavailable for 30-50% of the flight.

How would you feel if you bought a "750mL" bottle of Scotch and later discovered that only the bits above and below the label (which wrapped fully around the bottle) had Scotch in them, with the middle being empty? I reckon you might be pretty annoyed that you only got 400 mL of whisky
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I wanted to double-check on the speed of the monthly pass to make sure I was correct above. There was a new landing page for the WiFi yesterday. It made no disclosure about the speed. So I used the chat feature to ask Gogo. Unfortunately, my discussion with "Maria" was not particularly enlightening, as she clearly didn't understand the question or know anything about the AC product. Ultimately she did tell me that it should include the streaming quality, but I'm not at all confident that she was correct, since she pointed me to a portion of Gogo's T&C that was totally irrelevant.
Yeah they tend to be useless unless it's a billing issue. One time after the fact, support told me the flight I'd been on wasn't equipped with their system, and that's why it didn't work. It was a 789 or something when AC's site said they all had it. And I had been able to connect to the portal, just not actually log in.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No doubt about that, but I still think it's improper to sell a "full flight" WiFi pass with no warning about outages when they know the WiFi is going to be unavailable for 30-50% of the flight.
One time I picked a more expensive AND worse timed SFO-OGG flight for a do, because it advertised having wifi, which I needed for work.

I was able to buy it on the ground for the whole flight for $20. It worked immediately, through takeoff to the east, the duration of the 180 degree turn, and until we were about 20 miles off the coast. Then it cut out. It was a ground based system.

Needless to say I was not impressed that:
1. Their false advertising led me to pay more on a worse schedule
2. The system let me pay it

And that's not my worst airline wifi experience.

Never depend on it.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
"Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 717-720, 783
  • 7M8: 502, 504, 509, 512, 519, 523
  • 333: 932, 933, 937, 939-941
  • 788: 803, 804, 806
  • 789: 853-859"
859 has functional wifi, so I'm updating the wiki accordingly.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by yyztozag
"Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 717-720, 783
  • 7M8: 502, 504, 509, 512, 519, 523
  • 333: 932, 933, 937, 939-941
  • 788: 803, 804, 806
  • 789: 853-859"
859 has functional wifi, so I'm updating the wiki accordingly.
I'm pretty sure every 789 has wifi these days. Not sure it's worth having them in the "unknown" section.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Posting from Fin 942 (A330). There is wifi on this fin. Had to have the crew reset it before it would work though.
lsquare, Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:20 pm

Wifi in my 77W isn't exactly streaming quality. Sure, I can watch a few pixelated seconds, but then it pauses to buffer.

I can't imagine the satellite network is under much stress these days, but maybe this specific flight has a lot of usage?
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Has anyone had any success logging onto a Zoom call on-board? I'm not planning on speaking (I'm not that guy), so I'd just be listening with headphones. But it's a call I need to be on, and I'd like to avoid changing the flight as it would mean going the day before.

It's on a 787-8, for what it's worth.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:00 pm

Never on AC (but several times on other airlines), but I've actually found AC's satellite wifi to be better than many other airlines.

So I don't think you'll have a problem. I watch Netflix and Hulu on AC all the time.

Worst case scenario, if you have wifi calling, just call into it. That avoids any potential overhead for video.
lsquare and talkeryxu like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Never on AC (but several times on other airlines), but I've actually found AC's satellite wifi to be better than many other airlines.

So I don't think you'll have a problem. I watch Netflix and Hulu on AC all the time.

Worst case scenario, if you have wifi calling, just call into it. That avoids any potential overhead for video.
I do have wifi calling so that's not a bad backup plan. Thank you!
Old Nov 27, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
1 hour and 1 way Wifi Passes are 50% off until Dec 2 https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...k-friday-sale:
Old Nov 27, 2020, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Aselwyn
1 hour and 1 way Wifi Passes are 50% off until Dec 2 https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...k-friday-sale:
Time to go stock up on passes
Old Nov 27, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aselwyn
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Time to go stock up on passes
Is there an expiry date to use the passes?

[ADDED: NEVERMIND it's 365 days as per T&C]Terms and Conditions – November 27 2020 – December 2 2020 Wi-Fi Promotion
Old Nov 27, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is there an expiry date to use the passes?

[ADDED: NEVERMIND it's 365 days as per T&C]Terms and Conditions – November 27 2020 – December 2 2020 Wi-Fi Promotion
Is this the streaming pass? The browsing pass is unusable in my experience.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Is this the streaming pass? The browsing pass is unusable in my experience.
Honestly, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just dug enough to find the answer to what I was curious about... I don't use the in-flight wife enough to know the specific products available.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Gogo now lets you login with your Aeroplan ID (possible elite benefit in 21 being tied to your Aeroplan vs a voucher into Gogo).

However I was unable to login to my Aeroplan Account to authorize it due to the auth flow requiring 2FA (which I couldn't do due to lack of wifi or cell service in the air).

Someone needs to think through this use case.

canadiancow, Bohemian1 and Aselwyn like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.