Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC/AE now trying to charge SE $150 for baggage on award flights!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

In the latest "we can't get our computers working right", I checked in today for an Aeroplan flight (I'm SE) with my wife and son.

The Web site wanted money for bags. As in, it will cost money to have any bag.

As in, zero (i.e. 0, nada, nothing, none) bags allowed for any of us. The AC checkin site wanted $150 or some silly amount to check a bag. For all of us, it would have been $600+

I figure it's an IT fail. Called in. I'm still allowed three bags free. The agent sounded exasperated.

Can someone just fire the people who cause all this aggravation?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Truly mind-boggling.

What else to say? One old saying states:"The fish starts to smell bad at the head". That's where you need to cut first - and fast.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
One is tempted to conclude that Air Canada and the BC Liberal party are being run by the same people. As in, doing everything we can possibly think of to sink the ship.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Same thing happened to us on our last reward ticket in Biz - no bags allowed without a fee. So I just checked us in with no bags and dealt with it at the airport... Annoying - what if someone didn't know better and just paid ?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by xray
Same thing happened to us on our last reward ticket in Biz - no bags allowed without a fee. So I just checked us in with no bags and dealt with it at the airport... Annoying - what if someone didn't know better and just paid ?
That's probably why they do it.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:28 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
In the latest "we can't get our computers working right", I checked in today for an Aeroplan flight (I'm SE) with my wife and son.

The Web site wanted money for bags. As in, it will cost money to have any bag.

As in, zero (i.e. 0, nada, nothing, none) bags allowed for any of us. The AC checkin site wanted $150 or some silly amount to check a bag. For all of us, it would have been $600+

I figure it's an IT fail. Called in. I'm still allowed three bags free. The agent sounded exasperated.

Can someone just fire the people who cause all this aggravation?
It's only an "IT fail" ' cause you refused to pay.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:30 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by xray
It's sometimes hard to avoid the conclusion that that's the whole point.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Does the Aeroplan status of the person from whose account the award is redeeemed and/or the Aeroplan status of the passenger who is flying always show up on the PNR? If not, this may in part explain what happened to the OP and his family.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Does the Aeroplan status of the person from whose account the award is redeeemed and/or the Aeroplan status of the passenger who is flying always show up on the PNR? If not, this may in part explain what happened to the OP and his family.
I was on my own PNR.

I'm SE.

It said 0 bags.

$150 or some stupid sum *per bag.*

I can't make this .... up.

And so I phoned in, they said "error."
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I was on my own PNR.

I'm SE.

It said 0 bags.

$150 or some stupid sum *per bag.*

I can't make this .... up.

And so I phoned in, they said "error."
Did your boarding pass show your SE status?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:28 pm

Our award was from my husband's account - we're both Elite and they were Biz tickets so really no reason for 0 bags...
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Reward tickets don't allow you to include your FF number, so the computer doesn't know your status. It assumes you're just a regular passenger. The smart thing would have been to allow FF numbers be included and show 0 points for each leg, like BA does, but that would be too complicated for AC.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Did your boarding pass show your SE status?
yes, it does. it shows S100K.

So it goes back to my point -- is this a new scam, or an IT error?

Clarification?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guessaaa
Reward tickets don't allow you to include your FF number, so the computer doesn't know your status. It assumes you're just a regular passenger. The smart thing would have been to allow FF numbers be included and show 0 points for each leg, like BA does, but that would be too complicated for AC.
I didn't put my FF number in. It's an Aeroplan ticket. It just showed up when I printed the boarding pass. And wanted 0 bags, and $150 per bag above that.

Anyone around here knows that Aeroplan tickets have never shown Aeroplan status on a boarding pass for some many years.

Now, apparently, it does. It big bold letters.

So why, all of a sudden, on an Aeroplan ticket, does the system want a) 0 bags, b) 1 bag for $150 and c) you call in and they say, "whoops, sorry about that!"

Try it yourself. Like I said, I can't make this .... up.

Is this part of the new Altitude meltdown and the war between the two organizations?

Or just an IT fail?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:13 pm

Try it yourself. Like I said, I can't make this .... up.

Is this part of the new Altitude meltdown and the war between the two organizations?

Or just an IT fail?
I think it's an IT fail as our flights were at the end of January...prior to Altitude meltdown...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.