Data Valet, the next devaluation?

Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Just one interesting data point. You don't have to actually accurately fill out the information to get basic service. I just made up my name and flight number to test it, and it's not linked to the database of who's in the club.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Just one interesting data point. You don't have to actually accurately fill out the information to get basic service. I just made up my name and flight number to test it, and it's not linked to the database of who's in the club.
That doesn't really surprise me. Wifi by it's very nature is fairly localized. If you've manged to get in without being authorized, I'm sure they have more pressing concerns than you using the wifi
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:53 pm

YVR Datavalet Speed Remains Anemic

One year on I am back at YVR in the US Departures lounge and the speed remains anemic. I tried for about 35 minutes to connect to Data Valet and failed. Finally I tried a wired connection which worked and the wireless connection thereafter.

My speeds are similar to what I had last year:
1.55Mbps down and 0.20Mbps up (wireless)
1.68Mbps down and 0.25Mbps up (wired)

Even the staff in the lounge are pretty fed up - it affects their ability to get anything done as well. My understanding is that the contract for Data Valet is negotiated out of Toronto (where the speeds are fine in my experience) and so Vancouver (and Calgary/etc) don't get any attention.

My notes to the Super Elite desk last year + tweets did exactly nothing. The folks in the lounge asked me to fill out a comment card and put down all of the specifics of the problem (which I did) as it gives them ammunition and leverage when trying to get any traction on this change.

I would encourage everyone else who has issues with the speed to do the same. Squeaky wheel and all.

Andrew.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Rowat
One year on I am back at YVR in the US Departures lounge and the speed remains anemic. I tried for about 35 minutes to connect to Data Valet and failed. Finally I tried a wired connection which worked and the wireless connection thereafter.

My speeds are similar to what I had last year:
1.55Mbps down and 0.20Mbps up (wireless)
1.68Mbps down and 0.25Mbps up (wired)

Even the staff in the lounge are pretty fed up - it affects their ability to get anything done as well. My understanding is that the contract for Data Valet is negotiated out of Toronto (where the speeds are fine in my experience) and so Vancouver (and Calgary/etc) don't get any attention.

My notes to the Super Elite desk last year + tweets did exactly nothing. The folks in the lounge asked me to fill out a comment card and put down all of the specifics of the problem (which I did) as it gives them ammunition and leverage when trying to get any traction on this change.

I would encourage everyone else who has issues with the speed to do the same. Squeaky wheel and all.

Andrew.
Meanwhile, the PPL is just fine wrt wifi speeds.
The only problem is that it's located in the A gates for Canada domestic (by the WS portion of the airport IIRC.)
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Rowat
I've sent in feedback through both the MLL cards and Twitter about a year ago. Nothing has improved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.