Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Data Valet, the next devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Yeah in singapore changi, not only do you get free wifi, you get free computer terminals every where...status or no status
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
Yeah in singapore changi, not only do you get free wifi, you get free computer terminals every where...status or no status
Same thing in HKG.
I would also venture to say that '#HKAirport Free WiFi' is faster than CX's own internet in the Wing.
I just used the RCC internet instead.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:39 pm

The state of the WiFi at most MLL is absolutely embarrassing. You can see from my attached image how painfully slow the internet was at YVR. It was unusable it was so slow.

And this was on a *wired* connection @ the lounge. I tried both wireless and wired connections with the same end result. For anyone who actually has to work in the lounge and move any data a fast internet connection is the #1 most important thing. Food, magazines, drink etc are all nice but if you need to get something done you are at the mercy of the internet connection. When you start wishing that you had brought along your 56k modem you might have a problem.....

I sent a complaint onwards via the SE email + Twitter and was given a generic 'we will let people know' answer.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
The whole thing is quite petty of AC in the first place IMO. As a customer going on the computer terminals in the MLL I should be able to access the Internet right away, no entering boarding pass info etc. It's quicker to get access using the free wifi provided throughout the airport. How much is AC actually saving with this whole scheme assuming nobody pays for faster access?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:02 am

But 'faster' than what? I am in the MLL at YYC right now and my gold connection is anemic. 1.77Mbps down / 0.21 Mbps up. Painful.

Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG G
the free wifi at YWG is actually pretty decent, >1MB/s down. Upload is of course horrid. YVR isn't bad either, maybe 800k/s down if there are a few people around exploiting it with me Yeah you have to click the I "Agree" thing on each of your devices, but it only takes a second.

I tried the YYZ MLL lounge 2 days ago and got the regular datavalet thing. Had to log in but there were no tiers. It was much slower than the free wifi in YVR/YWG.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:54 am

I am not sure I agree with YVR - I had an up of 0.15. I also think that a down of 1 is totally unacceptable. I suspect that there are two issues - the incoming pipe likely has poor bandwidth to start with, and then whatever software they are using to manage and throttle individual client bandwidth is either non-existent or poor. Frustrating in any case.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Has DataValet in the lounges been enhanced again?

In YVR Transborder right now - enter my SE number and as a Star Alliance Gold member from a partner airline, I get Bronze internet access for free, Silver for a fee.

At least I can use the @yvrairport wireless for free still!
Old May 23, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

In YVR Transborder right now - enter my SE number and as a Star Alliance Gold member from a partner airline, I get Bronze internet access for free, Silver for a fee.

I don't understand - how can you be SE and be recognized as Star Gold
from another airline?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I don't understand - how can you be SE and be recognized as Star Gold
from another airline?
That's what I'd like to know...
Old May 23, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
I am E35 and all the lounges I have been in are telling me to pay to upgrade to gold...
Old May 23, 2013, 7:43 pm

YEG, YYC, YYZ the last 3 weeks, no log in, straight to a Yahoo landing page with my iPad

Not sure what is going on, it seems like AC is playing around with MAC address ID register and auto login for latitude members.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

I was at the YVR domestic lounge on Monday and had something similar happen. I put in my E50K number and it told me that I could have Bronze for free or pay a fee for Silver. Once I clicked to logon though it told me that it had upgraded me to Silver for no charge.

I had changed my FF# to my no-status UA number so maybe it had something to do with that. I had also changed my FF# on the way down but was able to get normal access in YOW and YYZ transborder.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I'm rather unimpressed with this. It just seems very much "nickel and diming". I'm rather impressed with the food and beverage in the MLL, which is far superior to the UC. I'm sure the cost of provisioning that is far higher than WiFi.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
I had the opposite experience today at the domestic YYZ MLL. Ipad connected to datavalet, and I was instantly browsing with no login or anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.