Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan Star Challenge - How Much Incremental Spend Have They Got From You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Aeroplan Star Challenge - How Much Incremental Spend Have They Got From You?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 7:44 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by calligow
I'm sure people would be wayyyyy more enthusiastic if it were status miles
I would be, if they were DL status miles.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by rehoult
$4.76, to activate my, Mrs and Jr's Esso Extra cards. Love that at 7.5 months Jr will already have ~17,000 miles in his account.
And Jr's miles won't expire until he turns 18, unless AC goes "Swiss Air" before then
Old May 22, 2012, 5:05 am

Nothing extra, had 10 segments and own two cars with an Esso station close by.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I would guess they might have gotten an extra $100. Not because I spent more or bought something I wouldn't have normally bought, but when it came time to buy my groceries, I made a concious decision to use Sobeys this month instead of Wal-Mart (they're both 5 minutes from my house). Same thing with a couple of Home Hardware purchases. I might just as easily have bought my lawn maintenance supplies at Home Depot this year, or I might have used HH anyway--hard to say since I frequent both stores.

With 6 flight segments and a couple of hotels and just my normal gas fillups (my company wants me to use Esso anyway because we get a corporate discount) I think I had my 70 stars after 2 weeks without making any extra trips or purchases. I wasn't about to try filling up my car $3 at a time on the corporate gas card.

This was my kind of promo--one where you don't have to really do anything extra!
Old May 22, 2012, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keops
Had to do a few esso mini fills (9-12$). Can't be bothered with $3 transactions.

I did three accounts, let's see if they qualify. I have a sneaking suspicion they won't credit bonus miles to minor accounts.

This is an attempt to make members form habits. As for me I only purchased abou $60 in candy and HD bars for my office staff which I would do anyway, but maybe spend a bit less from Costco instead of loblaws. There was negligent incremental spending involved, but I did handle aeroplan cards a lot more frequently this month. Now that I am finished they go back to where they came from.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Allvest
Had to do a few esso mini fills (9-12$). Can't be bothered with $3 transactions.

I did three accounts, let's see if they qualify. I have a sneaking suspicion they won't credit bonus miles to minor accounts.

This is an attempt to make members form habits. As for me I only purchased abou $60 in candy and HD bars for my office staff which I would do anyway, but maybe spend a bit less from Costco instead of loblaws. There was negligent incremental spending involved, but I did handle aeroplan cards a lot more frequently this month. Now that I am finished they go back to where they came from.
But, will they actually form them?
We represent the minority that will only do this for the miles, then leave.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Aeroplan partners (Esso) is probably getting about $200 more while taking from the competition.

I redirected my normal gas purchase from Pioneer to Esso (across the street). Pioneer is normally $0.02/litre cheaper so I probably spent an extra $4.

I also got a $3 bingo scratch card but won the $3 back.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
$0

But I did go the crazy route and run 35, $3 Esso transactions.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:09 am

Esso got ~$150 more than they would have as I usually fill up at Costco.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:52 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Keops

Or perhaps it is an attempt to demonstrate to businesses that puchase miles that they are actually getting some value from the so-called loyalty program.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09

But, will they actually form them?
We represent the minority that will only do this for the miles, then leave.
And what makes you think "we" are any different than "them".

On a regular basis it is claimed that we are the exceptions - no one else is as points obsessed. If that's the case why would anyone else bother participating in a scheme they either don't know or don't care about?
Old May 22, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Zip. But what I have done is buy my gas in $20 increments, instead of just filling the tank once a week and be done with it.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer

And what makes you think "we" are any different than "them".

On a regular basis it is claimed that we are the exceptions - no one else is as points obsessed. If that's the case why would anyone else bother participating in a scheme they either don't know or don't care about?
Because the kettles think that the points are worth more than they really are.
Also, you forgot to mention the fact that most of us on this board have status.
And, some of us will go very far to get miles/points.
(i.e. I was searching for a cheap fare to go back to HKG for CNY 2013.
KE had a cheap fare.
Most people would want SEA-ICN-HKG v.v
The routing that I used?
SEA-SFO-SEL-PUS-HKG-PUS-SEL-YVR-SEA with the last segment being thrown away.
Plus, some people would credit to DL/KE because they are flying KE.
I credited to AS to get more miles.
(There are overnights in PUS and SEL and YVR, but the YVR one I specifically wanted.)
Old May 22, 2012, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Because the kettles think that the points are worth more than they really are.
Also, you forgot to mention the fact that most of us on this board have status.
And, some of us will go very far to get miles/points.
(i.e. I was searching for a cheap fare to go back to HKG for CNY 2013.
KE had a cheap fare.
Most people would want SEA-ICN-HKG v.v
The routing that I used?
SEA-SFO-SEL-PUS-HKG-PUS-SEL-YVR-SEA with the last segment being thrown away.
Plus, some people would credit to DL/KE because they are flying KE.
I credited to AS to get more miles.
(There are overnights in PUS and SEL and YVR, but the YVR one I specifically wanted.)
With that kind of itinerary I think you are "special" even amongst mileage chasers!
Old May 22, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G
Items I purchased that I liked but not critical:

4 boxes of Haagen daaz bars...$28
Book and DVD from Chapters that has been on my wishlist for awhile...$35
Kobo ebook: $4
Overpaying for snacks at Esso when I could've bought'em cheaper at a grocery store: $10

Time spent changing behaviour and purchase destinations: 3hrs

But the above can be amortized over two aeroplan numbers (wife + me).. wouldn't have gone thru the trouble for just 16.5k points.... as I travel enuf to earn 70 stars without any additional spend for myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.