FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: Aeroplan Star Challenge - How Much Incremental Spend Have They Got From You? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1348598-aeroplan-star-challenge-how-much-incremental-spend-have-they-got-you.html)

DaveTO May 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Aeroplan Star Challenge - How Much Incremental Spend Have They Got From You?

Forgetting about the little points.com transactions, I have spent the following that I never intended on, just to get the extra stars:

Esso: 1 car wash, 1 scratch n win lotto ticket (lost) - Total of about $15

Sobeys: Extra deli meat - $3

Home Hardware: Shower curtain - $18 - but wife made me return it.

redtop43 May 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Zero.

However, USAir has gotten $30 at two restaurants that I would not otherwise have gone to, and $50 for online shopping on things I would have bought anyway, so that I can get USAir points to convert to AP and get my stars from points.com.

(Actually, it's my wife who's getting the points. I converted a lot, enough to get my 70 stars, but I did not get the email, so I assume they blocked me out because I didn't change my mailing address to Canada until after the promo started.)

My wife bought a box of Haggen-Daaz, but we haven't even been able to input the PIN code anyway. And she would have bought it regardless.

HerpaYvr May 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Nothing as I had 15 flight segments planned, I shop at Sobeys, buy my gas at esso, I have my Aerogold card, so I am good and I am waiting for my e-mail from AP confirming that I have my 70 stars and that I am done! :cool:

Now for my 12 year old, I bought gas at $3 purchases and used his card on small purchases that I would normaly do with my own.

Yukonprince May 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Less this month...

I usually spend $1,000+ per month with Aeroplan partners but less this month - however - more transactions to get to 70+ stars.

InsaneTravel May 21, 2012 4:06 pm

I lot of extra Trips to Esso (I normally go there anyways)

I transferred about 15,000 points from Amex to Aeroplan. These points would have probably stayed with Amex until I needed them.

Also my wife has an American Express Aeroplan (the basic one for $60/year) which did NOT have an Aeroplan card associated with it. (The points would just sit with Amex instead of being auto-transferred to Aeroplan every month). We called Amex and had them send the points (13,000) to Aeroplan.

And I purchased the following that I would not have purchased.
(All at Esso)
$5 Lotto ticket
$3.33 for 2 Gatorade
$3.33 for 2 Coke (1L)
$4.50 for a bag of Doritos
About $3.00 extra for Premium Gas

AA_EXP09 May 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Nothing.
(I actually realized that I get more Petro Points this way than filling up at PC, so I an using this way from now on and crediting to EE)
1) Go to PC and buy Sears GC. I could also do this at AA shopping mall.
2) At Sears, buy Esso GC
3) Use Esso GC at Esso.
(Assuming that PC doesn't have 5x points on fuel, which they do now. I do have $400 Esso GC now.
PC would give me 5 points/litre which is $1.409 now. Using this way I get 28 PP/litre on regular but I may upgrade the gas to premium to get 50 points/litre)

mapleg May 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Bought some packs of Nestle ice cream treats (albeit at 1/2 price)...kids at home and co workers enjoyed those.

Esso gas...same as always, except bought in smaller increments

Home Hardware-went there 3x for the first time in years. The sales effort failed me there as I see no reason to go back. Bought some home hardware branded bbq lighter..it broke in 3 days and I was not going to waste $$ driving back for a $5 item complaint. That and the stores are just hodegpodges of stuff I generally can get elsewhere in a more pleasing environment.

The rest came from Sobeys and flights. Even this promo (and others) cannot convince me to use Park N Fly in Toronto.

Stranger May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Not a penny. Just not worth the hassle.

mabramovich May 21, 2012 6:03 pm

I was buying some Kobo ebooks until I learned about the Esso points.com transfers. So about $10 for 4 accounts worth of spend.

rehoult May 21, 2012 6:26 pm

$4.76, to activate my, Mrs and Jr's Esso Extra cards. Love that at 7.5 months Jr will already have ~17,000 miles in his account.

jarusoba May 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 18618179)

^

calligow May 21, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm sure people would be wayyyyy more enthusiastic if it were status miles :D

hearna May 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 18618179)

Hassle...

Not so much for me 50 Stars out of flights, regular shopping at Sobeys, 1 car, 2 bikes to gas up/combined with great weather... very easy to get.

Now had I not spent 2 weeks vacation in europe I would have had the time to hassle my way into getting the 16k points on my g/fs aeroplan card as well!

KenHamer May 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Zero.

But I expect that to increase ten-fold in the coming weeks.

YQMer May 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Nothing incremental in $ terms; however, I've increased the frequency of the transactions.