Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan Star Challenge - How Much Incremental Spend Have They Got From You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Aeroplan Star Challenge - How Much Incremental Spend Have They Got From You?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Tedgrrrr: Then why not just NOT waste the gas, and buy an extra ticket?
I didn't realize it was completely full until I was at about $2.30 or so, and I didn't have the luxury of time to ponder as to whether these $2.30 were "sunk costs" or not
Old May 26, 2012, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I didn't realize it was completely full until I was at about $2.30 or so, and I didn't have the luxury of time to ponder as to whether these $2.30 were "sunk costs" or not
Then I would have used a spare container to store it in.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Then I would have used a spare container to store it in.
Ah thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have to help my sis and bro-in-law get their miles, and I have a few storage containers in the garage - i'm going to start filling those up $3 at a time!!!
Old May 27, 2012, 2:22 pm

Probably about $20.00 but the Lindt Chocolate at 2 for 5.00 + 100 bonus AP points was too good to passup
Old May 27, 2012, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Ah thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have to help my sis and bro-in-law get their miles, and I have a few storage containers in the garage - i'm going to start filling those up $3 at a time!!!
And you don't even have to put in 2L of premium for it to get to $3!
(Price in YYC might be different)
Old May 27, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Probably about $20-$30 worth.

This will include filling up for gas when prices weren't favourable at all.
Buying items on ebay that I didn't really need at all.
Bought Nestle products that I wouldn't have otherwise bought.
Old May 27, 2012, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teriyaki
Probably about $20-$30 worth.

This will include filling up for gas when prices weren't favourable at all.
Buying items on ebay that I didn't really need at all.
Bought Nestle products that I wouldn't have otherwise bought.
Well, buying gold coins on ebay could have got you the points and something of investment value...
But, I like buying from other sources.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:04 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Probably about $40-50 in total - as the last two days I've been doing $3 Esso fills with Premium gas instead of regular, just to make those fill-ups go further before my tank fills
Old May 28, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I don't really care about extra spend I made for the promo, but I'm more concerned by the extra-calorie I ate buying Ice cream and chocolates
Old May 28, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
Originally Posted by mapleg
Home Hardware-went there 3x for the first time in years. The sales effort failed me there as I see no reason to go back.

Even this promo (and others) cannot convince me to use Park N Fly in Toronto.
Yup... This promo, if anything, convinced me never to go back to Park'n'Fly in Toronto or anywhere else, and that Home Hardware is really a mediocre place I shan't return to either.

In both cases it was my first experience with the vendor and both visits were very effective in convincing me they don't deserve my business.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Not much, really...

My shopping for the promo has been confined to Esso, Thrifty Foods, Rexall, and one trip to Home Hardware, where I bought a recycling bin I needed anyways.

Esso - Mostly bought lotto tickets as I no longer have a car. Figure that I would've bought a ticket for each draw anyways, and I didn't spend that much more. Maybe another $15-20 on extra 649s and scratch and wins. I did win $10 on one Extra play. When I had the one rental car I had this month, I refueled it in 4 instalments at different stations (just to be safe).

Thrifty Foods - Stuck to buying things I needed anyways, except for one Haagen Dazs purchase. I bought two of the bars in total when they went on sale, but one time I went in there planning to get ice cream anyways and bought the bars instead of a 500ml as they were the same price. Second ice cream purchase was mainly just for points, but also because I found out how damn good they are.

Rexall - The McGilll & Orme near my house was small, and thus other than chocolate bars had no cheap items I needed. I did manage to buy a greeting card on each of my two visits there that I would've bought elsewhere.

So it was more about aligning my shopping to maximize stars than it was about incremental spend. I guess had the promo not been on I'd have shopped more at Wal-Mart or Safeway as per usual, but I can't be bothered to get into costing every single star transaction...and I'm an accounting student!

I could've done better, like sticking to ~$1 purchases at the big Rexall downtown, or doing more than the one points.com transfer I did. But knowing my luck with these sorts of things, I didn't want to risk getting disqualified. If the bonus AP miles post in tiem I'll be using them for a hotel stay that would otherwise put me $100+ out of pocket, so the incremental spend - what little there was - will be wiped out entirely.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:55 pm

- purchased gas solely at Esso
- shopped more at Sobeys
- indulged in a few Haagen Dazs bars
- purchased needed items such as yard bags from Home Hardware

So basically, I shifted my shopping to the Aeroplan partners and kept the incremental spend as low as possible. With the extra fees that are attached with redemptions, this promotion wouldn't be worthwhile if one had to spend a lot to gain the 70 stars.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Got the bonus for myself and the Mrs. The vast majority of stars came in the form of $3 Esso fills and points.com transfers - the only real expense was the additional time it took to fill up daily for a couple weeks.

The items I bought at Sobeys I would have bought anyway except for a couple bags of Nestle chocolate containing bonus codes.

I hit up Rexall a number of times - most of the purchases were clearance items. The clearance selection was actually pretty impressive - I bought several Oral B electric toothbrush replacement heads marked down from $25 to $1.75. Not bad!

The only thing I bought which I definitely would not have bought but for this promotion were a couple $2 ebooks from Kobo (which I don't think have even posted, a good month after the fact).

I think in all I spent maybe an extra $20 to get the 33,000 bonus points. I'd happily do it again.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I went to Esso for the first time in years. All ~$3 fill-ups in premium, of course. That got me around 2L per transaction. Not sure that was incremental as I would fill up on the same level of gas somewhere else.

Where there were extra incremental charges is at Rexall. I never go to Rexall. I kept buying a package of mints each day. It's the same mints I buy in bulk so I figure each pack at Rexall was costing me $0.60 more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.