Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC gate agent refused to change my FF number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC gate agent refused to change my FF number

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jjclancy
It's a Star Alliance benefit that you can credit miles from any flight to any carrier.
True, but have to agree with airbus320 that nothing from Star Alliance would prevent AC from saying that an AC-only benefit (like using eUpgrades) is only available if you choose to post your mileage for that flight with AE.
Old May 7, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by airbus320
You received a benefit using your AC frequent flyer number and you now want to enter another number to credit to a different program.

The agent was right!

You fly with your AC upgrade or you lose the upgrade ...and credit to the competition.

You can't have it both ways.
Why not? Those benefits, such as eUpgrades were supposedly earned for previous flights, either the previous year or previous thresholds in the same year.

I have SQ PPS while crediting almost exclusively to AC, nothing mind blowing about it.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
True, but have to agree with airbus320 that nothing from Star Alliance would prevent AC from saying that an AC-only benefit (like using eUpgrades) is only available if you choose to post your mileage for that flight with AE.
I don't think any of us would disagree...but seeing as AC hasn't put that in any T&C that I've seen I think their gate agent was out of line.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Yes, AC does. AC has 2 fields. I do it regularly now that I fly more often on AC due to their enhance customer service & SE benefits.. WL for Upgrade & credited miles to UA.
My upgrades have always cleared with UA MP # for FF credit. AC SE # for my SE benefits.

AC gets the lionshare of my fare instead of UA.
How does one go about doing this - at check in? Are agents willing to do this for you?
Old May 7, 2012, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
If I'm not mistaken, UA requires people who use their MP status to get free E+ seating to credit to MP - perhaps some of our MP fans could confirm whether or not this is the case.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by The Lev
If I'm not mistaken, UA requires people who use their MP status to get free E+ seating to credit to MP - perhaps some of our MP fans could confirm whether or not this is the case.
No. UA too has 2 fields. The first field for Crediting the miles. Second field for status.

For Upgrades, as with AC. Once UA MP # is in the PNR in the second field, one receives all the current status benefits.
Thus E+ seating.
For CPU, UA MP in the First Field.
Once the CPU clears , I have had the the UA reservations remove my UA MP number from the First Field to the second field & have them put in my AP # in the first field for status credit.
If CPU clears @ the gate same procedure. Remove UA MP # from 1st. Field. put in AP #.
Never had any GA saying "No".

I have had Upgrade clear on AC in the 7 day window on International Flights with UA MP # as my primary earning FFP in 2011.

As others have posted. I have earned AC E-Credits. Thus if I choose to use them on flights that I will credit to other FFP that is my right. Simple as that.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: AP basic (formerly prestige, wannabe SE)
The answer

A seen on AC.com:

If an eUpgrade Nominee is not currently an Aeroplan Member, they can visit aeroplan.com to create an account. If your Nominee prefers to accumulate mileage with another frequent flyer program, they should add their Aeroplan Number to their reservation prior to the upgrade being requested, then change their frequent flyer number upon check-in. This will not affect their upgrade request.

Source: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...des/share.html
Obviously, if AC allows and explains how eUpgrade nominees can use eUpgrades and credit miles to another FFP, they certainly allow their own top tier members to do so. If they didn't, they would be breaking *A rules. The agent was wrong. And according to that quote, it seems that you definitely can be waitlisted for an upgrade, change your FFP# during OLCI, and still be on the list!

This same thing happened to me a few months ago in CUN and AC/AE customer service has been unwilling to correct the agent's mistake. I'm currently pursuing the matter through *A.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:17 pm

I recently have an experience with this. Flew TPE-NRT-YVR, 1st leg on UA, 2nd on AC. I wanted to check 2 bags, so I must have AC status on file.

Called UA 3 times, first two times the agents have no idea about "2 fields" (BTW, the calls seem to connect to India). The third agent stated that she used to be able to put 2 FFP numbers, but after CO/UA merger, the system does not have the capability. (was on the phone for 30 mins, she asked her support team numerous times) To no avail, she offered to put a note on my PNR. At check-in, the agent refused to check 2 bags with UA MP#. It was just a 3 hr flight so did not bother to argue.

My upgrade for NRT-YVR cleared a day before, so I checked in online and changed the number to UA MP. Since the BP was in J, so I had no problem entering lounges. I assume it would've been a hassle as well if I was to travel in Y.

Can anyone provide some insights to this? (Having 2 #s on PNR)
Old May 8, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
As usual, SQ seems to lead the way.
Every SQ Boarding pass has my KF number ( for PPS purposes), and the AC *G
designation for mileage accumulation, and never any issues.
Indeed, I believe that SQ has the 2 numbers linked, since both will show up
despite my presenting only 1 card ( even though I dod niot see any FF reference on the PNR).
Old May 8, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Every SQ Boarding pass has my KF number ( for PPS purposes), and the AC *G
designation for mileage accumulation, and never any issues.
Indeed, I believe that SQ has the 2 numbers linked, since both will show up
despite my presenting only 1 card ( even though I dod niot see any FF reference on the PNR).
Most likely your AC number is stored in SQ's profile, you only need to attach your SQ number and your AC number will be automatically added for mileage earnings.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by rehoult
I don't think any of us would disagree...but seeing as AC hasn't put that in any T&C that I've seen I think their gate agent was out of line.
I think the devil is in the details for determination of who was out of line.

I agree with the gate agent and AB320 that the customers request was out of line if the upgrade list was cleared either ontime or slightly after the regulated time. For a Airbus narrowbody departure, boarding process starts at the 1/2 hour mark with the gate upgrade waitlist cleared just prior to Elite and J cabin boarding call. So there is one agent to process the waitlist and another agent to process the boarding doc check and computer entry. The second agent joins the first agent as relief at the boarding doc check and also handles the radio/PA.

I agree with the passenger in that there is nothing explicitly stated online or elsewhere that points to a rule or policy against changes to frequent flyer number this late in the process. However I expect that if we push the envelope on this there will be a change in policy to deny FFP# once upgraded. To paraphrase the Bard, " becareful what you wish for".

For what its worth, Westjet would do the same thing. Try and change your FFP # at the gate for a CX codeshare and you will get turned away. Also WS has "hidden" policies at the gate. One such example is the policy that revenue standbys have a lower priority than all other nonrev standbys.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Apples and oranges my friend. SQ also can't do a aircraft boarding process in less than 1/2 hour and their SOP is to start boarding at the 45-60 minute mark with 4-5 agents at the gate. Give them a A320 with 145 pax, 25 minutes to board, and 2 agents and their SOP will fall apart.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jjclancy
I guess you're going to say that similarly you shouldn't get MLL access or free bags or priority checkin or advance seat selection or anything at all, and that any FF program switch necessarily means numerous months of a gap in benefits.

Most of us would find this an extreme position.

It's not extreme at all. MLL lounge access comes with *G status, not just AC status. Priority check-in is a benefit of *G, not just AC status. I'm not sure about free bags. Advance seat selection is generally only available if the ticket is booked on the carrier and not a code share. (try booking YYZ-ORD on AC, but opt for the code share on UA...no seat selection)

I think if people are doing this, AC should immediately make it clear an upgrade MUST also require the aeroplan number attached. Customer chooses to put on another FF carrier number, the upgrade is forfeited. Period.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
I was told in LHR that they couldn't do it either. They did say that they would have been able to do it if I got my upgrade as a nominee rather than using my own e-upgrades so now my wife and I will just upgrade each other and then switch the FF number.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by soconn
I was told in LHR that they couldn't do it either. They did say that they would have been able to do it if I got my upgrade as a nominee rather than using my own e-upgrades so now my wife and I will just upgrade each other and then switch the FF number.
When people are circumventing to achieve 2x the bonuses they are "entitled" to, I'm not surprised AC and other airlines are reducing benefits. People want their upgrades, but post miles on another airline to get what? Upgrades there as well. Double-dipping in a manner.

Anyone doing this, then complaining about not being able to change the FF number, had better not whine about further "enhancements". No wonder Tango has gone Int'l.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.