Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC gate agent refused to change my FF number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC gate agent refused to change my FF number

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
Originally Posted by nowinyow
When people are circumventing to achieve 2x the bonuses they are "entitled" to, I'm not surprised AC and other airlines are reducing benefits. People want their upgrades, but post miles on another airline to get what? Upgrades there as well. Double-dipping in a manner.

Anyone doing this, then complaining about not being able to change the FF number, had better not whine about further "enhancements". No wonder Tango has gone Int'l.
Check your maths... how is this getting 2x the bonuses? You don't earn any Aeroplan miles for the flight... you just get to use the e-upgrade point you already earned last year.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This all does not make sense. Let's just say(you are an E or SE) no eupgrades are involved, and at the gate you get an OP Up. And then you want to credit miles to TK for example, what happens in this case? What will the gate agent say now?
Old May 8, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Using benefits earned last year should have nothing to do with where you credit your miles this year.

It's a benefit to use e-upgrades on an AC flight. This was a benefit earned in 2011 for use in 2012 based on flying on AC and crediting to Aeroplan in 2011. Using that benefit should be exclusive of where you credit your miles on a flight in 2012. AC pays Aeroplan, or pays MileagePlus. Who cares? Next year, you'll have UA benefits and maybe fewer AC benefits. It's all a wash.

This is not a case of having cake and eating it too or getting double benefits.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Reference point

Was sponsored with my +1 a few months back. Cleared prior to flight. FF # was changed from AC to UA by an agent in the MLL between 1st and 2nd leg of flight. All credited to UA no problem.

Cheers -
Old May 8, 2012, 12:43 pm

No wonder Tango has gone Int'l.
No wonder pax want to credit to different FF programs.
Old May 8, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
As usual, SQ seems to lead the way.
Every SQ Boarding pass has my KF number ( for PPS purposes), and the AC *G
designation for mileage accumulation, and never any issues.
Indeed, I believe that SQ has the 2 numbers linked, since both will show up
despite my presenting only 1 card ( even though I dod niot see any FF reference on the PNR).
While SQ IT leaves a lot to wish for and is far far from leading the way, they are pretty darn good at getting this particular item right.

Also, another one of the very interesting SQ IT bits: If you book an SQ reward flight using *A partners it will show up in your KF "My Bookings" section once ticketed without intervention so long as your KF name matches the ticket.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:04 pm

Some people just like to play devil's advocate when the discussion topic does not affect them. People pay T+ to upgrade at the forefront, and they are entitled to 100% EQM anyways. There's no "2x the bonuses" involved (can't credit to both programs), and unrelated to the tango fare bs. Flawed logic. One earns the benefits to use this year by flying last year.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC*E, A3*S, SPG Gold
If one has their upgrade cleared before check-in, they are able to change their FF# upon check-in while keeping their upgrade. Likewise, an e-upgrade nominee doesn't need to credit to AP. So explain why the same shouldn't apply for Aerolotto? I get the time constraint argument, but from the OP's story this didn't seem to be the concern with the GAs.

This whole issue is quite stressful for those of us with status transitioning to other programs. UA and US GA's have been more than willing to add my A3 number to bookings at the gate, while still allowing me to keep a *G boarding pass for pre-boarding.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
No wonder Tango has gone Int'l.
Originally Posted by jjclancy
No wonder pax want to credit to different FF programs.
Best comeback of the day! ^

Last edited by mendy7511; May 8, 2012 at 9:18 pm
Old May 9, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: AC:E - NZ:G-E - Virgin Australia: G - Hilton:G- AF:blue
I now live in NZ and it makes more sense for me to accumulate NZ Airpoints as many NZ fares do not allow to collect miles/points from other Star Alliance partners.
I was AC E and NZ basic
NZ reservation system has the possibility to enter 3 fields:
FQTV where you will collect points/miles on the flight
FQTS where you will get the status and the privileges (luggage, lounge,...)
FQTU if you are in stand by for an upgrade

AC might be on a different system, but may be try to give those codes to the res agent, it might work...

I won the aerolotto twice and had my FQTV changed at the gate with AC. As i still have some e-upgrades, I keep the 2 old boarding passes (before and after upgrade) to show to the gate agent in case they would refuse.

Good luck guys
Old May 9, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Solomon2
If one has their upgrade cleared before check-in, they are able to change their FF# upon check-in while keeping their upgrade. Likewise, an e-upgrade nominee doesn't need to credit to AP. So explain why the same shouldn't apply for Aerolotto? I get the time constraint argument, but from the OP's story this didn't seem to be the concern with the GAs.

This whole issue is quite stressful for those of us with status transitioning to other programs. UA and US GA's have been more than willing to add my A3 number to bookings at the gate, while still allowing me to keep a *G boarding pass for pre-boarding.
Perhaps that is maybe why Airlines aren't keen to change the FF number. Knowing you're using your eupgrades but crediting to another airline might signal to them you are bailing and this is a way to keep you in "the fold".

Again, when AC people read this thread, I'm sure it will lead to ways of further "enhancing" their FF program. They will do what is in THEIR best interest, not the customer. I'm just looking at it from the Airline point of view. And, for what its worth....I AM affected by where and how points are earned and eupgrades used. I've sworn off AC until their labour issues are resolved. No upgrades for me for the foreseeable future and no point accumulation if I end up on non * carriers.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Best comeback of the day! ^
I'm simply stating things from the perspective of the Airline. Using the points but crediting to another carrier MAY be a signal to the airline that the user is not interested in continuing to be an AE member. Note the word MAY. If AC or any other airline has an interest in keeping their FF base (debatable) they can and will do what is in THEIR best interest.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC - ACMM; LH - SEN
I'm simply stating things from the perspective of the Airline. Using the points but crediting to another carrier MAY be a signal to the airline that the user is not interested in continuing to be an AE member. Note the word MAY. If AC or any other airline has an interest in keeping their FF base (debatable) they can and will do what is in THEIR best interest.
Another option is that the FF is trying to maintain status for more than one Star Alliance airline. Some here have set their target to be SE or E and once achieved then go for status on another carrier to cover off status for their particular flying patterns. In this case no airline is losing a FF to another and the FF is doing what is best for their personal interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.