Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC gate agent refused to change my FF number

Old May 7, 2012, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Flew AC737 YYZ-SFO this morning. Due to e-upgrades and wanting status on my boarding pass, I entered my AC FF number online and e-upgraded. Won the Aerolotto at the gate, at which point I asked the gate agent to change my FF number (to credit it to another airline's program).

The gate agent said, "since you upgraded, you're not allowed to credit your miles elsewhere" and refused to change it. I told her to ask her supervisor, who looked puzzled, thought about it for a few seconds, and re-iterated her original statement that it's not allowed.

What's your experience with this? And if this is actually the case, how can I use my AC upgrades this year but at the same time credit to another FF program to get status next year?
Old May 7, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Why wouldnt it be allowed???

I use my dad's e-upgrades, but there is no chance in hell I am crediting my flights to Aeroplan.

I've both changed the number at OLCI and at check in.
Old May 7, 2012, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Why wouldnt it be allowed???
No idea. The gate agent was particularly snarky about this too, which I thought weird.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I've both changed the number at OLCI and at check in.
Does changing the FF number online after you've submitted your upgrade request (and are waitlisted) affect your position on the waitlist or ability to upgrade?

Last edited by alexthe5th; May 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Old May 7, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by alexthe5th
Does changing the FF number online after you've submitted your upgrade request (and are waitlisted) affect your position on the waitlist or ability to upgrade?
I've only done it after already upgraded, so cant comment.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alexthe5th
AFAIK you need to have your Aeroplan number attached to your booking as long as you are not confirmed in R class. I know of a few people who successfully changed their FFP at the gate in YYZ after they won Aerolotto but now reading your story apparently YMMV.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Can't the MLL agents do it?
Old May 7, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Can't the MLL agents do it?
Yes, they can, but not if you want to win Aerolotto at the gate.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Yes, they can, but not if you want to win Aerolotto at the gate.
So what actually happens in the system? The instant your FF number changes, it boots you off the waitlist?
Old May 7, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You received a benefit using your AC frequent flyer number and you now want to enter another number to credit to a different program.

The agent was right!

You fly with your AC upgrade or you lose the upgrade ...and credit to the competition.

You can't have it both ways.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by airbus320
You received a benefit using your AC frequent flyer number and you now want to enter another number to credit to a different program.
I guess you're going to say that similarly you shouldn't get MLL access or free bags or priority checkin or advance seat selection or anything at all, and that any FF program switch necessarily means numerous months of a gap in benefits.

Most of us would find this an extreme position.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I guess AC doesn't allow you to enter two FF numbers, one for credit and one for status?
Old May 7, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjclancy
I guess you're going to say that similarly you shouldn't get MLL access or free bags or priority checkin or advance seat selection or anything at all, and that any FF program switch necessarily means numerous months of a gap in benefits.

Most of us would find this an extreme position.

A lot of these benefits you describe are Star A Gold. One receives them no matter who you credit your miles to....

eUpgrades is an AC program.

Nothing extreme about that.....
Old May 7, 2012, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I guess AC doesn't allow you to enter two FF numbers, one for credit and one for status?
Yes, they do.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by airbus320
A lot of these benefits you describe are Star A Gold. One receives them no matter who you credit your miles to....
It's a Star Alliance benefit that you can credit miles from any flight to any carrier.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, AC does. AC has 2 fields. I do it regularly now that I fly more often on AC due to their enhance customer service & SE benefits.. WL for Upgrade & credited miles to UA.
My upgrades have always cleared with UA MP # for FF credit. AC SE # for my SE benefits.

AC gets the lionshare of my fare instead of UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.