Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice: Confirmed E-Upgrade rescinded on-board aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: Confirmed E-Upgrade rescinded on-board aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
I find this response from ACTT unacceptable. They did unfortunately handle the situation "correctly" as is required by their pilot contract. What IMHO has been handled incorrectly is the downgrade of a seated passenger from a confirmed upgrade to Y with zip compensation.

If I were you, I'd escalate up the management ladder.
Ah, ..... You just put it out on twitter.

Utter fools.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by The Lev

If I were you, I'd escalate up the management ladder.
I agree, however, other than directly to the VPs, there is a person in the President's Office that is completely useless when it comes to informed replies so I would not expect a worthwhile response.

I had the pleasure of being on a downgraded A319 on MEX-YYZ (one of the 2 in the fleet) with no in-sit power, no AVOD and one operational washroom in Y and was given the copy and paste reply "aircraft are not guaranteed" on any route. Yes and no. I paid for these features and they were not provided. In retail that's called false advertising or bait and switch.

I am doing this routing 3 times in 3 weeks and the President's Office staff member doesn't bother to acknowledge one aspect of the downgrade. Truly pathetic.

Its a real shame because just 2 weeks before I was on a regular A319 but with GoGo wifi (normally on the California routes) and had an awesome experience.

Consistently inconsistent should be the AC motto.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
OP: Did you choose to escalate the downgrade in the end?
Old May 1, 2012, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by PointWeasel

I had the pleasure of being on a downgraded A319 on MEX-YYZ (one of the 2 in the fleet) with no in-sit power, no AVOD and one operational washroom in Y and was given the copy and paste reply "aircraft are not guaranteed" on any route. Yes and no. I paid for these features and they were not provided. In retail that's called false advertising or bait and switch...
You paid for and received transportation. That you do not agree that amenities or aircraft type are not part of your ticket/contract is unfortunate for you as your expectations may therefore be disappointed.

Last edited by californiadreamin'; May 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
You paid for and recieved transportation. That you do not agree that amenities or aircraft type are not part of your contract is unfortunate for you as your expectations may therefore be disappointed.
Thank you for your clinical reponse.

I am well aware the aircraft got me from Point A to B, however, the point is if you promote and sell the bells and whistles, then switching it out is poor customer relations, period.

As it worked out, due to my good karma, I received a comp upgrade 2 Saturdays ago on a 4+ hour flight and another one this past Sunday on YYZ-YYC, plus a $200 MCO so I would say that everything evened out in the end.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Needle Hill
Just on the same thought:
There was a very sick passenger in my YYZ-SFO flight in March. I had to start intravenous on him and gave him epinephrine basically to keep him alive until we were diverted LAS. I volunteered to downgrade to Y to look after him for half of the flight. Should I ask for my eUG back even if I volunteered to do so? Not that really matters as I won't able use them up anyway but just curious.
I am a physician, and I can remember being asked to treat/help a passenger at least a couple of times.

In each case, I signed a form that I administered medical assistance to the passenger.

Two or three months later, a letter from AC arrived. It thanked me for my service, and offered me (in gratitude for performing the service) either one of 10,000 status Aeroplan miles, or 15,000 non-status Aeroplan miles.

I would therefore NOT recommend you write the letter to AC for now. However, if you have not heard from them in a couple of months or so, then you can write the letter).
Old May 2, 2012, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Arcanum
Yes, that would be ridiculous if that's what happened. You're assuming, however, that the pilot was (a) aware of the issue, and (b) pulled rank.

Flight ops may have called down and told the crew to do the reseat without the pilot ever knowing. He just showed up and took his seat.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as perennially disappointed in AC's customer service and unions as the next traveler, but let's not dump on this individual without knowing the whole story.
Good post.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
To throw in my two cents, pilots have a clause in the collective agreement allowing for J when deadheading (exact conditions are a little vague to me right now), but not when commuting from home to base. Note there is a distinction between deadheading (e.g. to continue a pairing) and commuting (driving/flying to work). F/A's don't have the same right, I seem to recall they had J space available. In any case, the real pecking order is, shall we say, opaque.

Perhaps the pilot didn't know of the circumstances. Was he entitled to the seat? Perhaps. Would the pilot have not taken the seat on a short flight had he/she know of the displaced pax? We'll never know. Would it have been a good move? Yup.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
OP: Did you choose to escalate the downgrade in the end?
No, I decided not to bother. I'm still not thrilled, but I guess I'm not upset enough to escalate it further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.