Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice: Confirmed E-Upgrade rescinded on-board aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE

Hello all,

Just looking for some feedback, and to see if anyone else has encountered a similar situation.

Over the weekend, I had e-upgraded on YOW-YYZ and YYZ-YYC, with upgrades confirmed prior to check-in. I had boarded the aircraft, and just prior to push back, the agent came and advised that she had to bump me due to a Captain who had requested the seat (J was totally full). She had reseated me in Y, and advised that adjustments would be made to my e-upgrade account within 48 hours.

However, as my upgrade for YYZ-YYC remained, to date I have been charged the usual 10 credits, as the same amount are required for YYZ-YYC as YOW-YYZ-YYC.

Firstly, the fact of the bump didn't bother me that much. Given the current climate, I'm sure pilots are getting all sorts of pressure from their union to enforce the contract to the fullest extent, so he was entitled to the seat. And besides, it's an hour flight, so who really cares that much.

Secondly, I am fully aware of the terms and conditions of upgrade, and that until you are in the air, it can be cancelled. And I did receive an upgrade for the remainder of the trip. All that bugs me a bit is that I usually like to maximize the use of my credits over multiple legs, and I may have chosen to just purchase a LMU if I had known that YOW-YYZ wouldn't clear.

I am not claiming that I should be entitled to compensation. I just wanted to put to question out to the community to see if anyone else had run into these circumstances, and if they had pursued with AC to any success. I'll probably just let sleeping dogs lie, but I'd hate to find out later that I could have gotten some consideration from AC.

Last edited by VoodooYYC; Apr 17, 2012 at 8:52 am
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:49 am

Definitely ask for compensation, express your 'outrage', threaten to call your 'cousin' at the G&M, etc. Hasn't anyone taught you to always ask for more than what you want st the beginning of a negotiation?

Cheers
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:54 am

typically the eupgrade credits are reinstated back to your account in a week, if not message customer service or FB, Tweet them and they will adjust it accordingly.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I'd email AC and explain the situation, just like you did here. Technically, you aren't really entitled to any credits back, as the YYZ-YYC leg is worth 10 credits from a T+ fare; however, the fact that you were bumped on the YOW-YYZ flight is less than ideal.

Don't complain or come off as rude and entitled- just explain what happened and ask if there is anything they can do. The worst you get is a "no".

I'm not one to go after airlines for free stuff at every chance, but when you are physically seated in J and get moved back, but are still "charged" for J, a small "we're sorry" from AC would be good.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Over the weekend, I had e-upgraded on YOW-YYZ and YYZ-YYC, with upgrades confirmed prior to check-in. I had boarded the aircraft, and just prior to push back, the agent came and advised that she had to bump me due to a Captain who had requested the seat (J was totally full). She had reseated me in Y, and advised that adjustments would be made to my e-upgrade account within 48 hours.
Was she nice about it? Apologetic? Give you a good seat in Y? Were you given a comp drink? If yes to most, I would be cool(ish) if not I'd make the point that it would have been nice if it had been dealt with politely...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I find the concept of bumping pax with a CONFIRMED J seat to Y somewhat disturbing.

Sure, the OP used e-upgrade credits, but whats next? Pax on J award tickets? Pax travelling in discounted J?

Does the pilot contract really say "captains have to travel in J even it there are no seats available"? Not that it really makes a difference...

Im no fan of asking for compensation for every minor incident, but I think the OP should receive some sort of compensation for an involuntary downgrade.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Naturally there's more to this story, but one must also wonder why the pilot needed to board at the last second. YOW-YYZ is so frequent that under normal circumstances one might think that simply taking the next flight would be an option for the pilot.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:36 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I had a SE give credits to his aunt for B to R upgrade on a YYZ-EZE leg... she was downgraded at the gate by AC with the explaination that she lost her upgrade due to the fact she did not have status and business class was full. She was confirmed in R 2 months prior to her flight and downgraded at the gate! Never ends with AC as far as I can see.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Does the pilot contract really say "captains have to travel in J even it there are no seats available"? Not that it really makes a difference...
Yes. The contract says deadheading pilot = always J, if the plane has it. They rank #2 in priority for a J seat, above all J pax (paid, upgrades and other staff) but below sky marshals, and have the right to bump anyone below them.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AC*SE HHgold
Should I ask for eUG back if I volunteer?

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Im no fan of asking for compensation for every minor incident, but I think the OP should receive some sort of compensation for an involuntary downgrade.
Just on the same thought:
There was a very sick passenger in my YYZ-SFO flight in March. I had to start intravenous on him and gave him epinephrine basically to keep him alive until we were diverted LAS. I volunteered to downgrade to Y to look after him for half of the flight. Should I ask for my eUG back even if I volunteered to do so? Not that really matters as I won't able use them up anyway but just curious.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:44 am

I'd be furious inside but if they offered to move me to a nice Y seat and still give me the J food and drinks, I'd be a happy camper. I've always wondering, aren't there extra crew seats that the captain could just sit there?! I mean it's not that uncomfy and the captain gets to chat it up with the hot FAs.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Needle Hill
There was a very sick passenger in my YYZ-SFO flight in March. I had to start intravenous on him and gave him epinephrine basically to keep him alive until we were diverted LAS. I volunteered to downgrade to Y to look after him for half of the flight. Should I ask for my eUG back even if I volunteered to do so? Not that really matters as I won't able use them up anyway but just curious.
I think saving a passenger's life should entitle you to something since you did it off hours. That's just me.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Needle Hill
I assume you are a doctor, helped the pax, and most likely the FA took your name / had you fill out some paperwork?

If so, Id usually recommend sending a polite letter to AC stating you spent most of your flight saving another pax' life and would appreciate it if the upgrade credits were redeposited. If youre 100% sure you wont be able to use the credits, you could phrase it in more general terms.

AFAIK AC has at times handed out some kind of compensation (miles etc.) for doctors volunteering to help onboard, but its not a "youre entitled to xyz" situation, but rather "The right thing for AC to do would be to acknowledge your efforts".
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult
Yes. The contract says deadheading pilot = always J, if the plane has it. They rank #2 in priority for a J seat, above all J pax (paid, upgrades and other staff) but below sky marshals, and have the right to bump anyone below them.
Thanks for the info. In that case its most likely not the first time a pax has been involuntarily downgraded due to a pilot taking the pax' seat and Id assume AC has a policy to compensate said pax.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by rehoult
I believe only captains can bump confirmed passengers out of C, not all pilots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.