Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 2012 Benefits Announced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:40 am
Suspended

All 2012 earned eupgrade threshold valid to feb 2013

Why can not all leftover earned threshold credits be carried forward? It would be perfectly sensible...
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by NAJetSet
I think/hope they do away with the milage requirements all together. Status should just be determined by status segments :P
I think thats why i'm going to have Super Secret Squirrel Status for 2013! SSSS>200 segments
So flying YOW-YYZ would be equal to flying YYZ-PVG?! Doesn't seem very rational.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Of course there are exceptions to every generality but this comes from those who designed the AC elite program itself and was the rationale for the 35K threshold for Elite (which varied from most other FF programs). Only a small percentage of SEs are primarily domestic or NAmerican fliers, the number having increased somewhat with the introduction of the flight passes a few years ago.

Originally Posted by ac/elite
You have often repeated that, but I'm not sure it is true. Any commuter with an unlimited flight pass gets at least 10,000 status miles/month, more if it is a Latitude pass. I've got a western commuter unlimited pass and travel to Alberta from BC weekly. There are always a few SE's on the flights and I see the same people regularly. The ones I've spoken to seem all to have unlimited passes. While I've made a couple overseas trips, most of my travel has been NA.

I'm with those people who have mentioned the ridiculous reduction from 25,000 to 15,000 threshold miles at 150,000. How stingy is that?

People seem pretty happy that there are few perceived reductions in the program in 2012, but there have been big reductions. They just came during the 2011 year gradually. The worst in my opinion has been the virtual elimination of IKK for SE in executive class, particularly on overseas flights. I was really hoping that they were going to fix that with the 2012 program.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW I see those new 2012/13 eUpgrades are now in my account.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG USER
It could be conceivable that AC is moving to standardize its mileage structure. I would be OK with a 50k requirement if they changed things as follows:

50% EQM on NA Tango fares to match the current Int'l earning structure.
100% EQM on Tango Plus fares
125% EQM on Latitude fares (and maybe discounted business)
150% EQM on Business fares
50% SM for discounted domestic fares was the reason it was set originally at 35K. But at the other end, increasing SMs for premium fares means earning status requires fewer actual flights. E can be earned with just 25K of actual flight miles in J because of the 50% COS bonus, SE for about 75K of flight miles.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stinger
Couldn't agree more, why the reduction of 10,000 bonus miles, was it costing them too much?
Of course, at the redemption end (aside from new charges) awards have been reduced for an unspecified period, by almost 50% for premium classes. Get business award for economy price, first for business price. Perhaps this will be a new Top Tier benefit.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
Why can not all leftover earned threshold credits be carried forward? It would be perfectly sensible...
Because AC's liability would increase and their mathematical cost/benefit model would be thrown out of kilter. Like AE miles, AC upgrade credits will rely on a certain percentage of credits that will never get used. However, I do agree that it is now easier to assign a full 12-month lifespan to credits and this is how they should be issued, just as such credits in other programs are handled. My UA CR1s are good for the full 12-months no matter when they are earned. The rolling expiry is the way to go and AC's IT appears to permit this modification.

I suspect AC has been monitoring upgrade use through the first year of this new program to determine how accurate their design model was versus the reality. Once it knows the actual patterns of use, we may see some modifications that allow a 12-month rolling lifespan.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Because AC's liability would increase and their mathematical cost/benefit model would be thrown out of kilter. Like AE miles, AC upgrade credits will rely on a certain percentage of credits that will never get used. However, I do agree that it is now easier to assign a full 12-month lifespan to credits and this is how they should be issued, just as such credits in other programs are handled. My UA CR1s are good for the full 12-months no matter when they are earned. The rolling expiry is the way to go and AC's IT appears to permit this modification.

I suspect AC has been monitoring upgrade use through the first year of this new program to determine how accurate their design model was versus the reality. Once it knows the actual patterns of use, we may see some modifications that allow a 12-month rolling lifespan.
The CP model was a 12 month rolling lifespan for the upgrade certificates.

I am not sure of the US airlines model - what is their lifespan of their upgrade credits (or equivalent?)? If it has the 12 month model, then perhaps AC should introduce that model, to be competitive in the North American model.

What about the overseas model - what is the time period of upgrade credits (or equivalent)?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:07 am

I agree with that! Been thinking that with the almost impossible challenge of ever getting any J award seats, might as well just look for the best discounted business class seats anyway.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
To those who point out AC does not give Status miles on Tango fares, thus 35K is fair.I will point out,several *A carrier do not give status miles on the low fares to name a few: NZ, SQ, NH, LH...,their gold level is 50K.
Actually, these days NZ gives status points on all revenue fares when credited to their own programme. Their cheapest domestic fares do not earn Airpoints dollars - but they do earn status points. All international fares earn both.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
People here have been saying Elite is going to be raised to 50K for years, especially when Prestige was moved up to 25K in 2005. I doubt it will happen now since my guess is that the number of E's out there is lower than before the recession. They may need better numbers before they have this luxury.

Also, I don't see Elites as being the issue with MLL's, perhaps AC should stop selling/giving away lounge access to non FFer via CC's etc.

I must say it's nice being on the sidelines and not feeling gouged more and more each year.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
What about the overseas model - what is the time period of upgrade credits (or equivalent)?
LH's upgrade credits you earn as SEN or HON do not expire, even if you drop to FTL or regular M&M level.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Shareholder
BTW I see those new 2012/13 eUpgrades are now in my account.
how long did they take to post from the time you chose your benefits?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Need info please

Just like the mafia movie line "just when you think you are out, they pull you back in" , I learned last night that I have to do some serious domestic flying in the next year. (I lose Elite Feb 29 12)

Here are my questions:
Does early requalifcation to Elite status still exist?
(By June, I should have flown 35K.)

Will requalification to Elite be valid 2012 and 2013?

Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:38 am
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by airbus320
Just like the mafia movie line "just when you think you are out, they pull you back in" , I learned last night that I have to do some serious domestic flying in the next year. (I lose Elite Feb 29 12)

Here are my questions:
Does early requalifcation to Elite status still exist?
(By June, I should have flown 35K.)

Will requalification to Elite be valid 2012 and 2013?

Thanks
I am wondering the same thing, and are the changes for 2013 qualification going to impact early requalification and number of qualifying segments. I have prestige and rather than doing a MR, I was going to wait until 2012 as my flying will get me to 35,000 in the May/June time frame.

I guess we wait and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.