Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 2012 Benefits Announced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: AC*SE, Lifetime Bonvoy PP, Hilton D, National EE, Avis First
Originally Posted by sjhanlon
So what happens to the Elite benefits that I picked? It shows that it sent my Elite package on the 23rd. When I pick the Super Elite benefits - will they just send less Maple Leaf passes? What about the eCredits? Do they just even it out? Anyone have this happen? The Aeroplan person said it normally does not let you pick the benefits when you are so close to another level - it waits until the end of Dec.
oh sorry, i misunderstood you... didn't realize you already picked your E benefits before calling in.

in that case, you did hit the jackpot, as it were, I have done this for years unless things have been changed this year in the IT dept. you'll receive both the E package and the SE package. as another poster mentioned hopefully you didn't select any bonus miles as an E benifit as they will be clawed back. However, eCredits that you select will not be (at least not in the past).

Congratulations, you have reached the 'holy grail' of AC status.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rchawla80
I just realized I didn't even get an email to pick benefits for *E even though I was *E prior to December. I called the centre yesterday and they said that I should get an email in january to pick *SE benefits? does that sound right? Or should I have gotten an email for *E?
If the early December status sweep sees you are over 60K SMs but under 100K it will not qualify you for the Elite email/selections assuming you might still have enough flights to make it to SE (the actual theshold may vary). Also it seems to focus more on SMs rather than segments. Based on the early January sweep your account will be opened to permit the appropriate status benefits selection. Some ethically challenges souls around here have hit upon this and stop posting their flights to ensure they will get swept and qualify for E even though they are holding back enough flights to make SE. After selecting their E benefits, they will send in a claim for missing flights that retroactively takes them over the SE mark and they get to select an SE package too. AC still hasn't fixed this "glitch".
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
If the early December status sweep sees you are over 60K SMs but under 100K it will not qualify you for the Elite email/selections assuming you might still have enough flights to make it to SE (the actual theshold may vary). Also it seems to focus more on SMs rather than segments. Based on the early January sweep your account will be opened to permit the appropriate status benefits selection. Some ethically challenges souls around here have hit upon this and stop posting their flights to ensure they will get swept and qualify for E even though they are holding back enough flights to make SE. After selecting their E benefits, they will send in a claim for missing flights that retroactively takes them over the SE mark and they get to select an SE package too. AC still hasn't fixed this "glitch".
nothing to do with ethics. take advantage of everything you can. there is no rule, term, or condition prohibiting the intentional hold back of flight credits until such time a flyer sees fit to request a credit. further this a great way to protect your miles and segments, should you wish to switch to a different program once the details are released. by holding back 6 months of flight credits, i could choose to credit them to a different FF program should I wish to do so.

and we don't know yet if this 'glitch' has been corrected for the 2012 program.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Same here. Will be interesting to see if it actually arrives by the end of the week/year.

You will be receiving your personalized Air Canada Top Tier welcome package within four to six weeks.
Send Date: December 23, 2011
Start checking the mail ... package arrived in this morning's mail.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by NAJetSet
nothing to do with ethics. take advantage of everything you can. there is no rule, term, or condition prohibiting the intentional hold back of flight credits until such time a flyer sees fit to request a credit. further this a great way to protect your miles and segments, should you wish to switch to a different program once the details are released. by holding back 6 months of flight credits, i could choose to credit them to a different FF program should I wish to do so.

and we don't know yet if this 'glitch' has been corrected for the 2012 program.
And you wonder why AC is clawing back for 2013? Cases like these that abuse the system.

I personally sent in a request to have elite be recognized for 2012, even though I was short 1700 miles - on the sole basis that my travel for next year is close to 80k, I've spent a considerable amount with AC (flight passes, full fare, etc), and other factors.

I know full well they likely will say no - and that I'll be "stuck" at prestige until I early qualify - but in no way is that similar to what you're suggesting (which really is gaming the system). You know it's a loophole and pretty close to be unethical so you abuse it anyway ...

Now doing multiple stops, connections etc - not unethical - but playing the "not posting my miles so I can get multiple tiers of selections" --- pretty darn close to exploitation. :P
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
I know full well they likely will say no - and that I'll be "stuck" at prestige until I early qualify - {snip}
This has probably been mentioned elsewhere, but is there early qualification for 2013?

If so, how would it work given that there are still no details for 2013? Using jazzsax as an example (I hope that's OK), what if 50k of your 80k planned travel is in January - does that mean that you will get the new 50k status automatically through Feb 2014 since you are coming from Prestige*? What if I as an Elite hit 50k, which is above the 35k - will I get the new status?

Thanks

Dr. PITUK

P.S. Good luck with the Elite status, though!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by painintheuk
This has probably been mentioned elsewhere, but is there early qualification for 2013?

If so, how would it work given that there are still no details for 2013? Using jazzsax as an example (I hope that's OK), what if 50k of your 80k planned travel is in January - does that mean that you will get the new 50k status automatically through Feb 2014 since you are coming from Prestige*? What if I as an Elite hit 50k, which is above the 35k - will I get the new status?

Thanks

Dr. PITUK

P.S. Good luck with the Elite status, though!
AC acknowledges in their FAQ for 2013 status that if you hit 35K or 100K early as in prior years - you qualify for Elite / Super Elite instantly for 2012 - but your miles in 2012 will reference what tier you qualify for in 2013.

So 50K early would qualify you at new level and at Elite for 2012 - but 35K in 2012 early would only hit the reduced level for 2013.

WHo knows what will happen - I'm expecting to be declined on the request based on what everyone is saying - but for plan members within my company we're 75% approved on special requests because we can prove they were one time issues (travel cancelled, illness), or show the volume. Hard to say though!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Melville
You're the first to get theirs, congrats. Our mail doesn't get delivered until 8pm! Quite bizarre but that's when someone from Canada Post arrives to sort it into our mail boxes at the condo.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:27 pm

AC acknowledges in their FAQ for 2013 status that if you hit 35K or 100K early as in prior years - you qualify for Elite / Super Elite instantly for 2012 - but your miles in 2012 will reference what tier you qualify for in 2013.

So 50K early would qualify you at new level and at Elite for 2012 - but 35K in 2012 early would only hit the reduced level for 2013.
Ah, Thanks. Sounds complicated .
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:03 pm

And you wonder why AC is clawing back for 2013? Cases like these that abuse the system.
No I don't wonder why AC remade the top tier program for 2013, they have been quite upfront about the reasoning behind the changes.

It's not abuse, its a known loophole that is far more expensive to correct.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Melville
Packaging for SE kit is smaller than last year, akin to small box of #10 envelope size. Steel grey with red trim. A lot of members will be happy with the metal loop for the bag tags though I find them somewhat impractical. (Also will be a problem using any other attachment though, since the opening on the tags is a small hole not large enough to accept any of the more traditional leather straps.) Comes with the usual Welcome Letter from Ben Smith and a folder listing SE Privileges and other explanations of how the eUpgrade program works; the guest passes I selected; the usual $10 Duty Free voucher; a leaflet for the SE Fairmont Platinum fast track promo; and card containing phone numbers for various AC offices and concierges.

Beyond the new design of the elite tier words, not sure I am enamoured by the design of the card or tags this year. But don't want to be a spoil sport. AC managed to deliver this year...at least getting things to us in a timely fashion after last year's fiasco.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: no status
I have reached Prestige in November, and in the e-mail they say:

"On top of the exclusive benefits that will automatically be conferred with your Top Tier status, you will soon be invited to choose your 2012 Select Privileges. Watch for your invitation email in January."

Has it always been this way that prestige make their selections much later than E or SE?

Last edited by Merlin666; Jan 11, 2012 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:42 pm

Saw my first 2012 E luggage tag in the YVR domestic MLL last night around 10:45pm^

Also brought in the new year with full DH3 somewhere over saltspring island.^
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Expanded upgrade eligibility for Prestige members

Air Canada Prestige members will now enjoy access to upgrades from all Tango Plus fares on flights within North America, including Sun destinations. This change will be effective for upgrade requests made as of January 1, 2012. For more information, including the number of eUpgrade Credits required, click here.

I was trying today to check YYZ-YVR and YYZ-HNL fares upgradable for Prestige members on aircanada.com today and they come as Latitude... I tried different dates... Tango Plus was supposed to be available as of Jan 1st

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.