Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC480 on 11/17/2011 Cancelled w/o notice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC480 on 11/17/2011 Cancelled w/o notice?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:24 am

Of course it's not canceled due to loads.

Why AC doesn't have a system beyond 'we made an assessment' about whether to contact passengers is a mystery. So what if the change was only a half hour delay? Other airlines manage to send a text or an email automatically in case of delays or cancellations.

The fact that a person has a tight schedule is immaterial. Maybe that's the only way it would work for them and a delay means not going at all. No point in going as far as the airport then is there?

The apologists are out in full force on this one, that's for sure.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by arf04
Hun, I ain't no apologist, especially since the latest AE fee bumps have pushed me over the edge. I'm switching to BA.

However, when someone posts something as unreasonable as OP in this case, I'm going to shoot it down. Ridiculous complaints such as this dilute the strength of complaints about real problems.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Souvlaki
Hun, I ain't no apologist, especially since the latest AE fee bumps have pushed me over the edge. I'm switching to BA.

However, when someone posts something as unreasonable as OP in this case, I'm going to shoot it down. Ridiculous complaints such as this dilute the strength of complaints about real problems.
+1
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:35 am

Of course it's not canceled due to loads.

Why AC doesn't have a system beyond 'we made an assessment' about whether to contact passengers is a mystery. So what if the change was only a half hour delay? Other airlines manage to send a text or an email automatically in case of delays or cancellations.

The fact that a person has a tight schedule is immaterial. Maybe that's the only way it would work for them and a delay means not going at all. No point in going as far as the airport then is there?

So... you have had no experience with AC's monkey...rm... IT departement have you.... Sure would be great, but as I said, if things are that tight, you should simply go the day before. That is the modern age of transportation we live in, and you have to accept it, or take the alternative. YYZ-YUL is only a 6 hour drive...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Your sarcasm detector needs some adjustment, mate...
We always get one or 2 with such an issue(sarcasm), Hernia is no different.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:07 pm

so funny, i just cannot stop laughing.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highlander88
As has been discussed before, often "mechanical" cancellations are a false euphemism for "too empty, let's save fuel and stick everyone on other flights".
I travel plenty of segments per year. I can count on one hand the flights missed this year due to mechanical.It was one flight and I was protected to another airline.On another very long delay,AC put me at a hotel,with meals and another hotel at Toronto when arrival was past midnight.
I ,too, have been on flights with 4 pax to position a/c and crew.

Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:54 pm

Personally, I would like to hear two things from the OP:

-- how did the meltdown go at the E-Desk go when it happened?
-- did he/she make the meeting?
-- did he/she have enough coffee before actually sending the post?
-- what was actually going through your mind when you wrote it?

Sorry, that's four. But I find it a fascinating post. I've freaked out in the past about travel meltdowns, but there must be something behind this.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Flight was cancelled very late last night due to mechanical on the aircraft so it wasn't wise to call passengers in the middle of the night and looks like all were accommodated on the 0700 flight.
Welcome back Andrew

have not seen you in a while
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:01 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium

AC does have a system where you can sign up for text or email alert for your flight. They work pretty well when I used it.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
AC does have a system where you can sign up for text or email alert for your flight. They work pretty well when I used it.
+1 I was going to suggest adding you subscribe to your flights using AC's various apps for smart phones. Often I've known about delays before the gate agents.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
So I should have used my <sarcasm> </sarcasm>. Allow me to correct:

<sarcasm> As I have the luxury of a few hours of buffer between my arrival and my meeting I intend on raising hell at the AC*E desk. </sarcasm>

As for some of the other "insightful" queries:

I did subscribe, wasn't alerted, that was part of the problem. Second part was neither was my TA

how did the meltdown go at the E-Desk go when it happened?
Didn't, see above

did he/she make the meeting?
Yes, per my OP I had a couple of hours. In fact I even volunteered my seat on the 7am flight as it was beyond capacity (more below).

did he/she have enough coffee before actually sending the post?
Clearly not as I didn't use my <sarcasm>

what was actually going through your mind when you wrote it?
Was trying to be funny in the last line (honest). Was also trying to determine why the normal AC notification services (text/email) had neither been invoked on an individual, nor a TA basis.

Yep, and another fascinating aspect is the whole 'I have a meeting to get too'.

If it is very important and you absolutly cannot be late, you take a flight the evening before to be sure you will be there. Thats basic FT 101!
Ya, thanks - see above and the original post where I mentioned it had NOT compromised my ability to make my meeting since I DID allow a buffer.

Presumably they protected you on AC400 thereby delaying your arrival by 30 minutes.
Yes I was, even volunteered my seat as AC400 was over capacity

Flight was cancelled very late last night due to mechanical on the aircraft so it wasn't wise to call passengers in the middle of the night and looks like all were accommodated on the 0700 flight.
Incorrect AY - there were actually around 10 or so volunteers which I saw, perhaps more.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
"raising hell at the AC*E desk"

There's a desk for E's?
Ditto
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:01 pm

... they should phone passengers in the middle of the night ...
The more a person sleeps the more capable they are of making sound decisions. The op woke up at 3:30 and we saw what happened! Can you imagine if AC woke him up at 2:30.

P.S. Does the schedule change department work overnight hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.