Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC480 on 11/17/2011 Cancelled w/o notice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle

I'm on AC480 this am, and when I woke at 3:30am Toronto time, my BlackBerry Travel application notified me that it had been cancelled. No notice was provided by AC. I checked AC.com and confirmed the flight is cancelled.

When I called my corp TA (AmEx) they were able to confirm the flight was cancelled, but strangely they had received no notice from AC either, but upon calling AC it was because the flight had gone mechanical.

As I have the luxury of a few hours of buffer between my arrival and my meeting I intend on raising hell at the AC*E desk.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:18 am

*imagine*

Aircraft went mechanical last night or they found out over night during maintenance etc, and canceled the flight as they did not have another on hand...

What do you think you are going to accomplish by raising hell?

If you need this call that your flight is canceled, AC does offer this service one of 2 ways, buy the on my way ''concierge'' service, or fly a ton like us SE's do, and a concierge will take care of you
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:30 am

"raising hell at the AC*E desk"

There's a desk for E's?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You checked why? As an E,you know there are occasions where there can be delays and or cancellations/mechanicals.

Save the stress and give yourself a pat on the back
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:35 am

What's fascinating is it's a flight to Montreal, and there are 10 or so more flights before noon.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
What's fascinating is it's a flight to Montreal, and there are 10 or so more flights before noon.
Yep, and another fascinating aspect is the whole 'I have a meeting to get too'.

If it is very important and you absolutly cannot be late, you take a flight the evening before to be sure you will be there. Thats basic FT 101!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by hearna
Yep, and another fascinating aspect is the whole 'I have a meeting to get too'.

If it is very important and you absolutly cannot be late, you take a flight the evening before to be sure you will be there. Thats basic FT 101!
Presumably they protected you on AC400 thereby delaying your arrival by 30 minutes.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
AC should definitely change policies. When flights are delayed or cancelled they should phone passengers in the middle of the night to make sure they know right away. Otherwise, the passenger could sleep through the *whole night* without this very helpful knowledge. And then what? Is the passenger supposed to check the flight status before heading to the airport? Who does that?

Raise hell, indeed. And let us know what happens. We're on tenterhooks over here.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
Damn you, I spitted my coffee reading this .

Originally Posted by Souvlaki
AC should definitely change policies. When flights are delayed or cancelled they should phone passengers in the middle of the night to make sure they know right away. Otherwise, the passenger could sleep through the *whole night* without this very helpful knowledge. And then what? Is the passenger supposed to check the flight status before heading to the airport? Who does that?

Raise hell, indeed. And let us know what happens. We're on tenterhooks over here.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Souvlaki

as ACYYZ said, 30 min delay, big whoop!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:25 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Flight was cancelled very late last night due to mechanical on the aircraft so it wasn't wise to call passengers in the middle of the night and looks like all were accommodated on the 0700 flight.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hearna
as ACYYZ said, 30 min delay, big whoop!
Your sarcasm detector needs some adjustment, mate...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: AC*E35
As has been discussed before, often "mechanical" cancellations are a false euphemism for "too empty, let's save fuel and stick everyone on other flights".
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by highlander88
As has been discussed before, often "mechanical" cancellations are a false euphemism for "too empty, let's save fuel and stick everyone on other flights".

Nothing but lie/rumor that has been spread around.

I most recently flown on a DH300 from YUL-YOW with 2 people on board, 5 if you include the flight crew...

Aircraft need to be moved from one airport to the next, and although I am sure AC is not always up front in their ways, these sorts of cancellations as you say would not happen.

As AY said, Im not sure too many people would like to receive a call at 1 am when they need to be up in a few hours to make the flight. And a 30 min delay is hardly of any consequence.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by highlander88
If only it was that simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.