Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 4:37 am
guw

Does this also apply when the initial booking was made through a travel agency?
Old May 20, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Usually yes. I know it does with Amex. YMMV.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Here is the info on the Air Canada website:

Refund Services

If you haven't travelled yet
Always present your refund request via your original point of purchase.

If you booked at aircanada.com, you can cancel your booking online by going to My Bookings.

If yours is a fully refundable fare, this will automatically initiate your refund process.

If you booked directly with Air Canada, or you're cancelling a booking for which an upgrade was confirmed, contact Air Canada Reservations.

If you booked through a travel agency, another airline or website, contact them directly.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-services.html

Also on a separate page

Cancel an Online Booking

Do I get a refund if I cancel my booking within 24 hours of purchase?

If you cancel your booking within 24 hours of purchase, we will:

- refund the price of your ticket and send you a confirmation email, or
- cancel the payment transaction (no email is sent in this case).

If you're cancelling a booking for which an upgrade has been confirmed, you'll need to call Air Canada Reservations to request your refund.

Exception: In the case of Flight Pass bookings, credits that are cancelled within 2 hours of booking will be credited back to your Flight Pass account and no cancellation fee will apply.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...l-booking.html
Old May 20, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
my experience with AC cancels

It may be worth adding that if you used a promo/discount code on the initial booking, then cancelling it kills the promo code i.e. its already been used.

At least that is my experience.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:37 am
alc

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
It may be worth adding that if you used a promo/discount code on the initial booking, then cancelling it kills the promo code i.e. its already been used.

At least that is my experience.
This happened to me twice with codes I got from AC Customer Relation. Upon contacting AC Customer Relation again, I got a replacement code. One was happened I was SE and hence I got my replacement with 48 hours. The other time I was just E35K and it took a good month.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by guw
Does this also apply when the initial booking was made through a travel agency?
Depends...

If the TA made the res on the AC agent website, bookings can be cancelled/changed free of charge within 24h (same policy as the regularAC website)

If the TA made the booking via the GDS or a different booking channel, policies are often more restrictive (e.g. cancellable until midnight or until the end of the business day only)
Old May 21, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by littleman
I heard that we can cancel/change the booking within 24 hours. So if I book a ticket today and if there is a sales tomorrow, how can I change ?
It depends on where you book. If you book directly with Air Canada, you have 24 hours to c

If you do it online, you can do this: Open two different browsers. Open your​ existing booking in browser A (you will need your credit card #) and start the new booking in browser B. Make your new booking and, once you have a confirmation #, immediately cancel your earlier booking. Your credit card should be refunded within a few days.

If you book through a travel agent, it depends. Many have no grace period, some do.

ExpediaforTD gives you until midnight Pacific time of the day of booking to cancel (i.e. less than 24 hours). Expedia.com gives you, AFAIK, until midnight if the next business day (i.e. more than 24 hours), but you should double check.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sokolov
It depends on where you book. If you book directly with Air Canada, you have 24 hours to c

If you do it online, you can do this: Open two different browsers. Open your​ existing booking in browser A (you will need your credit card #) and start the new booking in browser B. Make your new booking and, once you have a confirmation #, immediately cancel your earlier booking. Your credit card should be refunded within a few days.

If you book through a travel agent, it depends. Many have no grace period, some do.

ExpediaforTD gives you until midnight Pacific time of the day of booking to cancel (i.e. less than 24 hours). Expedia.com gives you, AFAIK, until midnight if the next business day (i.e. more than 24 hours), but you should double check.
Any idea how that works if you're booking something like YYZ-SFO?

AFAIK, they're required to give you a full 24 hours due to DOT rules.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:10 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Any idea how that works if you're booking something like YYZ-SFO?

AFAIK, they're required to give you a full 24 hours due to DOT rules.
Does this apply to aeroplan award bookings as well?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
All voluntary changes to aeroplan bookings are subject to cancellation/change fees. No free cancellation/changes within 24 hrs.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I've never been in a situation to fight it (I've never wanted to cancel within 24 hours when the US was involved), but I assure you, the first time I need to do it, I will be going through the DOT after Aeroplan says no.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Read the thread please

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
This query was (well) canvassed earlier in this thread. Did you read it??

If not, I suggest looking at Post #13

You are welcome!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:03 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
This query was (well) canvassed earlier in this thread. Did you read it??

If not, I suggest looking at Post #13

You are welcome!
Thanks, I did read that & Jasper is always a reliable resource. However, it was not totally clear. I booked an award and won't be changing it, so in this situation, I guess I am fine.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Just to confirm that I have totally understand:

- Cancel ANY kind of ticket class within 24 hours, including none ref/none changeable, full refund to you form of payment i.e credit card:
https://www.aircanada.com/se/en/aco/...l-booking.html

- Cancel ANY kind of ticket class beyond 24 hours, including none ref/none changeable, will be refunded as "store credit" to be used within one year:

"Non-refundable tickets:
Beyond 24 hours of purchase, most of the great promotional or seat sale tickets are seldom refundable - that's part of why they're such great deals. In most cases, the words "non-refundable" or "non-ref" are clearly printed on the ticket and ticket receipt. Certain tickets allow for no changes or refunds at all. Other tickets may allow changes (other than a name change) for a fee.

One fully unused non-refundable ticket may be applied as a credit towards the purchase of one new ticket in the same passenger's name. Travel must start within 1 year of the date the original ticket was issue. If the fare for the new journey is lower, any residual amount will be forfeited. Additional fare amount and change fees may apply.
"
https://www.aircanada.com/se/en/aco/...questions.html

EK
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
In the >24 hour case, the credit for non ref/change tickets exists, but over and above any additional fare amount, the change fee may significantly eat into or negate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.