Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never been in a situation to fight it (I've never wanted to cancel within 24 hours when the US was involved), but I assure you, the first time I need to do it, I will be going through the DOT after Aeroplan says no.
Dot rules require flight to be more than 7 days out for free 24 hour cancellations. I believe Westjet is now following this rule. Something tells me, AC will be following very soon on this.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Dot rules require flight to be more than 7 days out for free 24 hour cancellations. I believe Westjet is now following this rule. Something tells me, AC will be following very soon on this.
I'm talking about Aeroplan, which currently is in violation of DOT rules.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
I'm talking about Aeroplan, which currently is in violation of DOT rules.
Maybe not? Aeroplan is basically a ticket reseller. I don't know if DOT's rules would apply to them.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Quick question,

I booked a ticket less than 24 hours ago with a 10% promo code, now my plans changed and need a different (and more expensive ticket).

The thing is, if I cancel, I will loose the promo code (I can get it back but that would take a few weeks).

So is it possible to call and get the agent to change the booking by paying the fare difference instead of canceling and booking again?

If it's relevant here are the changes I wanna make:
YVR-TPE (S)
PVG-YVR (P)

to

SEA-YVR-TPE (P)
PVG-YVR-SEA (P)

Last edited by Mict; Sep 29, 2017 at 4:03 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mict
Quick question,

I booked a ticket less to 24 hours ago with a 10% promo code, now my plans changed and need a different (and more expensive ticket).

The thing is, if I cancel, I will loose the promo code (I can get it back but that would take a few weeks).

So is it possible to call and get the agent to change the booking by paying the fare difference instead of canceling and booking again?

If it's relevant here are the changes I wanna make:
YVR-TPE (S)
PVG-YVR (P)

to

SEA-YVR-TPE (P)
PVG-YVR-SEA (P)
This is not Aeroplan, right?

Definitely would not hurt to call. And yes, an agent should be able to handle this. Discount code is valid for that itinerary I presume?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
This is not Aeroplan, right?

Definitely would not hurt to call. And yes, an agent should be able to handle this. Discount code is valid for that itinerary I presume?
Not Aeroplan and yes the code is valid for the new itin.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I had a similar issue last year. Agent on the phone was able to make the change (in my case, just the date of the return flight), keeping the promo code in place and no charge (there was no fare difference on mine).
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can you change it online? There's usually an option to change flights if you booked on AC.com, and it has always maintained the promo code for me.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:10 pm

Can you change it online? There's usually an option to change flights if you booked on AC.com, and it has always maintained the promo code for me.
Oh thanks for the idea!
I was able to change my flights online in a few minutes and retained my 10% promo! ^^
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
24 hour cancellation law in Canada?

So unless I'm mistaken, I've read that in the US all airfare can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase. Does Canada have such a law in place?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Air Canada does have a 24 hour cancel policy.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Air Canada does have a 24 hour cancel policy.
But apparently Aeroplan does not.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sokolov
It depends on where you book. If you book directly with Air Canada, you have 24 hours to cancel........ expedia midnight if the next business day (i.e. more than 24 hours), but you should double check.
When I have called AC 23h45m after booking for a free change or refund, I mention how lucky I was that they answered so quickly. On two occasions they have said I should relax, their system actually is coded to refund until midnight Toronto time the day after purchase.

If their system is old and coded the way GDS/manual travel agent bookings work, bookings made on a Fri/Sat/Sun can all be refunded until midnight Monday.

/as mentioned, Aeroplan has a different (zero) courtesy policy. I highly suspect they receive the same back end refund/cxl policy that AC offers to customers and agents, and that they just do not pass the savings on to the end user. Because, umm, expenses.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 16, 2017 at 5:18 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by expert7700

/as mentioned, Aeroplan has a different (zero) courtesy policy. I highly suspect they receive the same back end refund/cxl policy that AC offers to customers and agents, and that they just do not pass the savings on to the end user. Because, umm, expenses.
Sure going to miss them in a few years ... /s
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lsquare
So unless I'm mistaken, I've read that in the US all airfare can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase. Does Canada have such a law in place?
There is no such law in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.