Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by terencelai
....the reservation sales charge will be simply voided, the transaction will not shown on your credit card statement at all.
All I know is the charge shows as pending on my credit card. Those charges always become real transactions in my experience.
It is now 2 hours since Air Canada said they would phone me back in 1-1.5 hours.
I guess all I can do is keep waiting.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by passenger66
All I know is the charge shows as pending on my credit card. Those charges always become real transactions in my experience.
Your experience is clearly limited in this respect then
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by passenger66
It is now 2 hours since Air Canada said they would phone me back in 1-1.5 hours.
I guess all I can do is keep waiting.
Is it worth trying to contact AC Twitter, at the very least to inquire about the timeline for a return call based on your original call to them?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by terencelai
sales charges gets finalized after every 500 book's of tickets got sold per each sales office/channel...
key takeaway: buy tickets from this modern AC/TWA travel agent (2019 photo). At 500 tickets per book, it may never post

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 2, 2021 at 6:59 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
They called me back and said I was over the 24 hour limit, but they would refund it anyway.
I know I wasn't over the 24 hour limit, but apparently I will get the money back.
It could take a while, I don't know how long, maybe months to get the refund, the email they just sent me had: "However, your payment card company may take one or two billing statements to add the credit to your account."
So I thank you all for helping me with this.
expert7700, 24left and kalderlake like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Bet you see the credit within a few days…
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 24left
@passenger66
I feel your pain. I've made my share of mistakes. Sometimes I learn from them.

I was thinking about your ticket as well as how and when you cancelled it because I noted the wording in AC's 24 hour policy as I had posted upthread.

"24 hours refundability: If you cancel your booking within 24 hours of purchase, we will refund the value of your ticket or simply cancel the payment transaction."

When I cancelled mine sometime around 15 hours after purchase, it showed me a screen with the full amount (detailed) and that it would be refunded to the form of payment used to purchase and then an email arrived.

But the 24 hour refund wording from AC offers 2 options " we will refund the value of your ticket" OR "simply cancel the payment transaction".

Do you recall if you were presented with an option and might have selected one instead of the other?

Also, looking at the AC International chart for Economy Standard, it shows "Future Travel Credit" - which I assume is what would happen after the 24 hours. Is it possible you selected the wrong option?

And while I don't know what these tickets cost nor the breakdown of the Base Fare and all of the other fees, if someone is willing to check, I wonder if your $169 are the taxes for eg. and the rest was the fare. Without a recreation of your ticket or seeing the Summary page details, it's also hard to know where that amount came from..

And looking at your purchase time stamp on the email you received versus the time you cancelled, is it possible is was close to 24 hours or slightly over? I'm only asking these questions because I or we are trying to understand what happened in an attempt to help you. Part of why I screen shot every page of a ticket purchase is I've made mistakes with everything from the wrong dates chosen to the wrong flights or times and I didn't notice until the confirmation arrived and went back to check and saw where my mistake was. It's extra work for sure but I do it anyway.

And @ChrisA330 may be right too and that it's AC's IT which is known for issues, often well documented on this forum.
The wording simply reflects how credit cards work. The merchant doesn't send a transaction through right away. Instead they get an authorization (promise by bank to pay merchant if they send a transaction through). Once a day the merchant then sends all transactions through at once. Thus if you cancel within the same day you book, they can simply cancel the transaction and nothing ever appears. However once the transaction has been sent, the only option is to issue a refund.
RangerNS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.