Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Is the MQM accounting for just one way or round trip? I just want to get some clarification since I'm planning to build this itinerary: ORD-TPE-ICN-NRT-SIN. It comes to be around 12.5k miles flown with overnight layovers which are under 24 hours in ICN and NRT with the MQM being around 15k. Would that be a valid booking?

Also does Aeroplan count NRT and HND separately in terms of booking and violating the rules for transfer?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by InterPlace55
Is the MQM accounting for just one way or round trip? I just want to get some clarification since I'm planning to build this itinerary: ORD-TPE-ICN-NRT-SIN. It comes to be around 12.5k miles flown with overnight layovers which are under 24 hours in ICN and NRT with the MQM being around 15k. Would that be a valid booking?
The MPM is one way. For ORD-SIN, it is 15526, so your booking would be fine.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by InterPlace55
Also does Aeroplan count NRT and HND separately in terms of booking and violating the rules for transfer?
Aeroplan.com (multicity) treats an arrival in NRT and departure from HND or vice versa as "an error has occurred, please call and pay the $30 agent booking fee." But Aeroplan agents treat the two cities as co-terminals. You can thus xfer within 24hrs without it being an open jaw.

You cannot, however, connect through HND on part of your one way trip and later in the same trip connect through NRT.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by karlpenney
The MPM is one way. For ORD-SIN, it is 15526, so your booking would be fine.
Yea I meant MPM. Been too much in the United terminology
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:33 am

Does anyone know the max segments allowed nowadays?

Just curious if I am able to book a mini-rtw something like yyz-nrt(stop)-sin(destination)-ist(stop) and then visit 15 or so cities in europe on the way back each with less than 24 hour layover? As long as it fits under mpm of course

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by minirtw

Just curious if I am able to book a mini-rtw something like yyz-nrt(stop)-sin(destination)-ist(stop) and then visit 15 or so cities in europe on the way back each with less than 24 hour layover? As long as it fits under mpm of course

Thanks
While I'm not sure if that many segments would be technically possible, I'm not sure you could get the segments to work. Much better to fly to a central spot and ride trains.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by minirtw

Thanks
I was told sixteen a while back as a technical legacy limit.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Both are often true.

Example #1

If I do a dummy search for HKG-YYZ in November, one-way Business, the Aeroplan website gives me five TPAC options, all but one of which put the long leg on AC metal.

United shows me all of these flights, plus about half a dozen routings through Europe on Swiss or LOT, plus HKG-ADD-YYZ on Ethiopian,

In this case, it isn't necessarily that what UA is offering is better - most of their added options are considerably longer in the air - simply that they're showing me a lot more options than AP.

Example #2 gets weird.

Let's search HKG-ZRH on the same date, Nov 12.

Aeroplan shows 4 options in Business, all of which are HKG-VIE-ZRH with the long leg on Austrian, and YQ of $100-150.

United offers all of these, plus a direct HKG-ZRH on Swiss that Aeroplan doesn't show because it leaves 15 minutes after midnight. If I search the next day, it shows up fine, but Aeroplan's computers aren't smart enough to include this in search results for Nov 12. So, if it doesn't occur to me to search a different date than the one I actually want, using Aeroplan costs me 2-3 hours for an unnecessary routing, plus about $100 in unnecessary fees.

United also shows me options for HKG-PEK-ZRH on Air China, HKG-IST-ZRH on Turkish, and HKG-DEL-ZRH on Air India and Swiss. Again, these aren't necessarily better options, but United shows them to me and Aeroplan doesn't.
I highlighted those United options mentioned above. Can you then find these as multicity and book it online? Or worse, book with an agent and pay the $30 fee but still bookable?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Happy
I highlighted those United options mentioned above. Can you then find these as multicity and book it online? Or worse, book with an agent and pay the $30 fee but still bookable?
It should be bookable if it's within the arbitrary Aeroplan MPM.

The Aeroplan website is designed to prefer AC options, because of the scamcharges involved (even tho HKG is scamcharge free), and also will not show you all options if there are AC options.

It will pass up HKG IST YUL in favour of HKG YYZ YUL, even if only YYZ-YUL is in J and the longhaul in Y.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
The multi-city search engine will return the same options as a one-way or a return search.

So, if a flight is visible in the United website, but not the Aeroplan website, you'll have to call in to book it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan
would this be possible on 1 rewards flight
YYZ-CNX stop
BKK-CGK Open Jaw
DPS- ICN stop
ICN-YYZ

Last edited by MikeyT; Jan 24, 2018 at 8:53 am Reason: wrong city
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by MikeyT
YYZ-CNX stop
BKK-CGK Open Jaw
DPS- ICN stop
ICN-YYZ
No - you have two open-jaws.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by MikeyT
YYZ-CNX stop
BKK-DPS Open Jaw
DPS- ICN stop
ICN-YYZ
EDIT, didn't see the 2 open jaws.

OP: Just do YYZ-BKK-DPS/CGK-ICN-YYZ and book a paid BKK-CNX return ticket.

Edit again. 2 stopovers and an openjaw also won't be possible.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Jan 24, 2018 at 9:11 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AP, AM
In this thread I posted by MiniwRTW (technically not RTW but still awesome): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29338431-post561.html

Curiously though even as Perth was my final destination from Ottawa, I wasn't charged 90K, I was charged 100K because part of the trip transversed Africa.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Beavertails
In this thread I posted by MiniwRTW (technically not RTW but still awesome): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29338431-post561.html

Curiously though even as Perth was my final destination from Ottawa, I wasn't charged 90K, I was charged 100K because part of the trip transversed Africa.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Yes, that's how it works. Pricing is not about where your destination is, it is the highest cost stopover.

From the T&Cs:
5.1. If any allowable stopover point is in a different region than the flight reward destination, the higher reward mileage level will apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.