Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by YEGcg
I had much appreciated help from fellow FT’ers when booking, pointing me to the MPM. Since it’s nearly impossible to fly from most cities directly to most other cities (for example, there are no direct flights from any Canadian city to Singapore), the MPM has to be more than the most direct route from A-B..
Tell that to whoever was in charge of determining AKL MPM.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by ennsy

YVR (Vancouver) - YYZ (Toronto): AC
YYZ (Toronto) - LGA (New York): AC
JFK (New York) - BRU (Brussels): SN
BRU (Brussels) - CDG (Paris): SN
CDG (Paris) - ZRH (Zurich): LX
ZRH (Zurich) - PMO (Palermo): LX
VCE (Venice) - IST (Istanbul) TK
IST (Istanbul) - ATH (Athens): TK
ATH (Athens) - ZRH (Zurich): TK
ZRH (Zurich) - YUL (Montreal) LX
YUL (Montreal) - YVR (Vancouver) AC

Destination is ATH
Stopovers are CDG, PMO
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You also have an open jaw in here. WOnt that make it invalid?
CanuckFlyHigh is correct. Open-jaw generally needs to be at the destination or origin. Basically, you're allowed to visit 3 cities; you have CDG, PMO, VCE and ATH.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
CanuckFlyHigh is correct. Open-jaw generally needs to be at the destination or origin. Basically, you're allowed to visit 3 cities; you have CDG, PMO, VCE and ATH.
Correct -- despite there being no mention of this restriction on the AE website, and contrary to the wording in the flight award terms "in lieu of one of the two stopovers", an open-jaw cannot truly be used in lieu of a stopover, which can happen anywhere between origin and destination (provided other rules about transiting through the same city twice per direction, etc are adhered to). Trying to argue this point with an agent or their supervisor is unlikely to be successful. I don't even think they know what is in the terms on the website, since they have their own internal documentation they use.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:07 pm

What is the segment maximum? I'm looking at 14 segments:

YOW-YYZ-PTY-BSB-CNF-GIG-IGU (stopover) IGU-GRU-JNB-MRU (destination) MRU-IST-HEL (stopover) HEL-LIS-YYZ-YOW

I'd have just under 24 hours in each of BSB,CNF,GIG and GRU.

Any issues? MPM is 14816 and the distances are 13752 outbound and 11856 inbound.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2

YOW-YYZ-PTY-BSB-CNF-GIG-IGU (stopover) IGU-GRU-JNB-MRU (destination) MRU-IST-HEL (stopover) HEL-LIS-YYZ-YOW

Any issues? MPM is 14816 and the distances are 13752 outbound and 11856 inbound.
Heard 16 is the max from Aeroplan agents.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by YEGcg
Correct -- despite there being no mention of this restriction on the AE website, and contrary to the wording in the flight award terms "in lieu of one of the two stopovers", an open-jaw cannot truly be used in lieu of a stopover, which can happen anywhere between origin and destination (provided other rules about transiting through the same city twice per direction, etc are adhered to). Trying to argue this point with an agent or their supervisor is unlikely to be successful. I don't even think they know what is in the terms on the website, since they have their own internal documentation they use.
I can't remember the thread but I'm pretty sure people have been able to successfully book itineraries where the open-jaw is not adjacent to the stopover. These itineraries adhere to the rules laid out on the Aeroplan website, but yes, they do let you skirt the rules a bit by adding a fourth city to your overall itinerary (excluding layovers). I think whether or not you're able to ticket these types of itineraries over the phone depends on the agent you get.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
I have a question that stems from my mini-RTW but isn't mini-RTW specific. As part of an upcoming mini-RTW, I'm flying YEG-YUL (AC), YUL-ZRH (LX) in J, then a same-day connection from ZRH-FLR (LX) in Y on a revenue ticket (I couldn't include ZRH-FLR in the AP booking due to MPM limits and backtracking rules). I know I can normally check my bag through, however, the revenue flight will be in LX's 'Light' fare class which does not include checked baggage, even for *G.

Will AC be able to check the bag through, helping me avoid the CHF 20 fee, or will the fact that no baggage is included mean I'll have to suck it up and pay LX their baggage charge?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:20 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, hard to search through the many pages.

We have a business class mini RTW trip booked, however, the first leg of the flight is YYZ-MUC in Y and then MUC-ATH in J with ATH being our first stop. Would we have lounge access on the first leg of the flight in YYZ before the YYZ-MUC leg? Thanks a lot
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by flyer05
I can't remember the thread but I'm pretty sure people have been able to successfully book itineraries where the open-jaw is not adjacent to the stopover. These itineraries adhere to the rules laid out on the Aeroplan website, but yes, they do let you skirt the rules a bit by adding a fourth city to your overall itinerary (excluding layovers). I think whether or not you're able to ticket these types of itineraries over the phone depends on the agent you get.
This used to be _somewhat_ doable with the "old" system, where everything was ultimately completely manually done. I've been able to do it, though anytime an agent would look at the itinerary after they'd freak out and tell me that any changes I make I'd first need to fix the open jaw.

With the new system, it's a straight no right away because "computer says no".
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:30 pm

I had a quick question (sorry i couldn't quite search it out).
I had called in to attempt a booking with two stopovers and a point of turnaround in Europe.

However when I was going through the booking process with the AP agent, she had mentioned that my itinerary was invalid because my flight from YVR > YYC > ORD constituted a stopover and made me exceed my allowed stopovers.
She had said that because my flight from YVR to YYZ was overnight (I leave YVR at 10:30 PM and arrive in YYZ at 5:52AM the next day, then onward to ORD at 12:53) it showed in the system as a stopover.

I wasn't aware of this, so I just wanted to check if I missed something on that front. I was always under the impression that it wouldn't count as a stopover unless I was in a place for longer than 24 hours, but I'm not sure if that changes if it goes overnight (even though the concept of 24hs should negate that no?)

Would any body have any input on this? I can share more specifics about the flights but the general routing (outbound) was
YVR > YYZ > ORD > IST (POT)
IST > TGD (Stop)
TGD > VIE > ZAG (Stop)
ZAG > CPH > ORD > YVR (Home!)

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by emustyle
I had a quick question (sorry i couldn't quite search it out).
I had called in to attempt a booking with two stopovers and a point of turnaround in Europe.

However when I was going through the booking process with the AP agent, she had mentioned that my itinerary was invalid because my flight from YVR > YYC > ORD constituted a stopover and made me exceed my allowed stopovers.
She had said that because my flight from YVR to YYZ was overnight (I leave YVR at 10:30 PM and arrive in YYZ at 5:52AM the next day, then onward to ORD at 12:53) it showed in the system as a stopover.

I wasn't aware of this, so I just wanted to check if I missed something on that front. I was always under the impression that it wouldn't count as a stopover unless I was in a place for longer than 24 hours, but I'm not sure if that changes if it goes overnight (even though the concept of 24hs should negate that no?)

Would any body have any input on this? I can share more specifics about the flights but the general routing (outbound) was
YVR > YYZ > ORD > IST (POT)
IST > TGD (Stop)
TGD > VIE > ZAG (Stop)
ZAG > CPH > ORD > YVR (Home!)

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, that's complete and utter bs. Call again! Overnights are not stopovers at all. On an all-North american itinerary you may have a problem with long stops (it's not 23:59 but might be more like 4-6 hours before it becomes a stop) but not on international.
JJonahJ and emustyle like this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I can confirm that I once had an award ticket with 2 sub-24 hour overnight connections - one in IST, one in YYZ. And this was on a one-way award, which doesn't allow stopovers.

Call back and get somebody with a clue.
emustyle likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by claurianta2

I have heard there is a 10 segment limit. Give them a call and ask.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Rykoshet
I have heard there is a 10 segment limit. Give them a call and ask.
It used to be in the 15 range - I've definitely ticketed 14 - but it might be higher now that they've upgraded to year 2009 or so.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
It's hard to call anything you've heard from one agent 'definitive', but I was told recently that there is no longer a segment limit.

Really, in that case the problem will come down to how many 23:59 connections you can string together without going insane, or getting bled to death by dozens of $45 YQ hits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.