Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by splicer100
Booked the following routing:
YEG-YYC-YVR (overnight) Dec 19
YVR-SFO-IST-CGK (overnight) Dec 20-22
SIN-ZRH-LHR-YVR-YYC (overnight) Dec 30-31
YYC-YEG Jan 1

Combination of AC, TK, and LX all J (expect for YEG-YYC flights) for 3 people around $700/person in fees/taxes.

Do you think it is worth trying to get rid of the AC flight from LHR-YVR to save on fuel surcharge? That flight alone is worth around $500 in fees. I cannot seem to find anything around those dates for TPAC flights. I still need to get flights to/from DPS. I have found IST-MNL (stop) then MNL-SIN-DPS. Anyone know if that is legal routing?

Thanks.
I'd drop the LHR flight if you can, but you just might not be able to - not that many options around end of year. I also wouldn't worry about getting directly to DPS - CGK-DPS is an easy $50 flight on literally half a dozen local airlines. I think I'd prefer your IST-CGK than bouncing around SE Asia through Manila and Singapore.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:35 pm

Trying to find a good Toronto to Australia flight and take in some of Asia while over there.
Is this a valid route:

YYZ-SYD Air Canada J (Stop)
SYD-PEK Air China J
PEK-HKG Air China J (Stop)
HKG-ICN Thai Air Y (Stop)
ICN-YYZ Air Canada J

Looking to do this for this December/January, availability looks good if I search segment by segment....Thinking 2 weeks stop in SYD, 4 days in HKG, and 3 days in ICN.

So is this a valid route? This will be for 2 person, and while I am quite contend with the J bookings for such a long distance, any suggestions to incorporate some F bookings into a route that is something similar?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Commie
Trying to find a good Toronto to Australia flight and take in some of Asia while over there.
Is this a valid route:

SYD-PEK Air China J
ICN-YYZ Air Canada J

Looking to do this for this December/January, availability looks good if I search segment by segment....Thinking 2 weeks stop in SYD, 4 days in HKG, and 3 days in ICN.

So is this a valid route? This will be for 2 person, and while I am quite contend with the J bookings for such a long distance, any suggestions to incorporate some F bookings into a route that is something similar?
Your routing should be valid since the mileage is slightly lower than AE's MPM.

There's not a whole lot of flexibility in terms of adding F segments:

- CA doesn't offer F on SYD-PEK
- you best bet will be ICN-US in OZ F, however ICN - West Coast - YYZ be push you over MPM, so best to focus on ICN-ORD/JFK-YYZ
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Your routing should be valid since the mileage is slightly lower than AE's MPM.
Isn't SYD-PEK-HKG-ICN considered back-tracking? He is better off flying SYD-SIN/BKK-HKG-ICN assuming he had no plans to stay in PEK
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mileageking
Isn't SYD-PEK-HKG-ICN considered back-tracking? He is better off flying SYD-SIN/BKK-HKG-ICN assuming he had no plans to stay in PEK
Nope, as long as within MPM and not hitting the same city twice, there's no such concept as "backtracking" - it's a misconception. Backtracking is crossing back into another IATA zone for example, after leaving it - so going Europe - Asia - Europe - Africa or something like that (or Asia1-Asia2-Asia1-Oceania). Within a zone, they don't consider this backtracking at all.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Nope, as long as within MPM and not hitting the same city twice, there's no such concept as "backtracking" - it's a misconception. Backtracking is crossing back into another IATA zone for example, after leaving it - so going Europe - Asia - Europe - Africa or something like that (or Asia1-Asia2-Asia1-Oceania). Within a zone, they don't consider this backtracking at all.
Even if one "backtracked" like you described, using Aeroplan, as long as it's under MPM it's still valid correct?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
Not planning on staying in PEK at all. Only reason to pick that route is the availability of Biz seats on my way back to YYZ for the timeframe(Jan) that I plan on going.

Seems like only NRT-YYZ or ICN-YYZ had biz seats...and to get there from SYD, had to go through PEK-HKG.
So I decided why not extend my trip another week, and stay in HKG and ICN for a few days each.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:12 pm

YYZ-SYD-YYZ involving Air Canada sounds bloody expensive...

I booked YEG-YVR-SEA-TPE-BKK(Stop)-MEL-(Stop)-AKL(Stop)-BNE-YVR-YEG and was on the hook for 700$/person...

Sounds like you will be on the hook for ~1500$/person?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
YYZ-SYD-YYZ involving Air Canada sounds bloody expensive...

I booked YEG-YVR-SEA-TPE-BKK(Stop)-MEL-(Stop)-AKL(Stop)-BNE-YVR-YEG and was on the hook for 700$/person...

Sounds like you will be on the hook for ~1500$/person?
I am a 100K, so i believe the surcharges are waived on AC metal. On the AE site, the total surcharges for that itinerary was around $500 for 2 person.

I have another question, can I fly into SYD and fly out from another city in Australia?
so instead of:
SYD-PEK Air China J
ICN-YYZ Air Canada J

I want to do this:
MEL-PEK Air China J
ICN-YYZ Air Canada J

When I try the multi-city booking on AE, doing YYZ-SYD, MEL-HKG, HKG-YYZ, I get an invalid search.
If I do YYZ-SYD, SYD-HKG, HKG-YYZ, then it shows up..
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
"28.3. Intercontinental travel (travel between two continents): Two stopovers permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one of the two stopovers."

2 stops + turnaround = visiting 3 cities

OR

1 open jaw (2 cities) + 1 stop = visiting 3 cities
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
"28.3. Intercontinental travel (travel between two continents): Two stopovers permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one of the two stopovers."

2 stops + turnaround = visiting 3 cities

OR

1 open jaw (2 cities) + 1 stop = visiting 3 cities
So that means i can't do that with my planned 3 stops?
What if I remove the stop in ICN and I fly straight through to YYZ?

I want to do this:
MEL-PEK Air China J
HKG-ICN Thai Air Y
ICN-YYZ Air Canada J

Will this work?
ICN was not a priority for me anyways. I'll just spend more time in AUS and HKG.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:25 pm

I am just about finalized my mini-rtw trip and have a question/opinion to ask the masses.
So I will be going to Sydney this december, the outbound trip is straight forward.

Now I have another question, the more I do searching on different possible routings, the more questions I have.

So I was playing around with what is available to get me from YYZ-SYD,
and I found some F available with Asiana for December.
going there would be:

YYZ-LAX - AC J
LAX-ICN - Asiana F 380
ICN-SYD - Asiana F 380 Stop

Now the hard part of returning to YYZ.

Can I still return via:
SYD-PEK CA J
PEK-HKG CA J (Stop)
HKG-ICN Asiana J
ICN-YYZ- AC J

Or would that be over the miles limit for the return? It would be nice to go with the F 380, I never flown on the 380 before.

Or even better would this be valid:
YYZ-LAX - AC J
LAX-ICN - OZ F
ICN - SYD - OZ J (Stop 2 weeks)
SYD - PEK - CA J
PEK - HKG - CA J (Stop 1 week)
HKG - ICN - TG J (stop 2 days)
ICN - LAX - OZ F
LAX - YYZ - AC J
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Commie
I am just about finalized my mini-rtw trip and have a question/opinion to ask the masses.
So I will be going to Sydney this december, the outbound trip is straight forward.

Now I have another question, the more I do searching on different possible routings, the more questions I have.

So I was playing around with what is available to get me from YYZ-SYD,
and I found some F available with Asiana for December.
going there would be:

YYZ-LAX - AC J
LAX-ICN - Asiana F 380
ICN-SYD - Asiana F 380 Stop

Now the hard part of returning to YYZ.

Can I still return via:
SYD-PEK CA J
PEK-HKG CA J (Stop)
HKG-ICN Asiana J
ICN-YYZ- AC J

Or would that be over the miles limit for the return? It would be nice to go with the F 380, I never flown on the 380 before.

Or even better would this be valid:
YYZ-LAX - AC J
LAX-ICN - OZ F
ICN - SYD - OZ J (Stop 2 weeks)
SYD - PEK - CA J
PEK - HKG - CA J (Stop 1 week)
HKG - ICN - TG J (stop 2 days)
ICN - LAX - OZ F
LAX - YYZ - AC J
Best to call Aeroplan to validate it instead of us guessing (and report back)
note that OZ YQ/carrier surcharge will be very $$$$$$$$$
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:18 am

Segment limit

Hi everyone.

I've came upon this thread while researching best ways to use up the Aeroplan points awhile back and have been hooked on the idea of the mini-RTW. I have a question that I was hoping you guys would know. Is there a limit on the number of segments you can have (provided it is under the MPM in both directions)? I read that there used to be a limit of 10 but since 2014/2015 that it wasn't so clear and I've seen recent blog posts that say 10, while other says 12 and others that say there are no limits.

I've called twice to ask directly from Aeroplan but each time they just said I can do two stopovers in addition to the turnaround point but couldn't comment specifically on the number of segments itself. Given the wait time was almost a hour each time, I didn't have time to call again to ask.

Hoping to reach out to the experts here to see if I can get a clearer answer. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by xtremester
Hi everyone.

I've came upon this thread while researching best ways to use up the Aeroplan points awhile back and have been hooked on the idea of the mini-RTW. I have a question that I was hoping you guys would know. Is there a limit on the number of segments you can have (provided it is under the MPM in both directions)? I read that there used to be a limit of 10 but since 2014/2015 that it wasn't so clear and I've seen recent blog posts that say 10, while other says 12 and others that say there are no limits.

I've called twice to ask directly from Aeroplan but each time they just said I can do two stopovers in addition to the turnaround point but couldn't comment specifically on the number of segments itself. Given the wait time was almost a hour each time, I didn't have time to call again to ask.

Hoping to reach out to the experts here to see if I can get a clearer answer. Thanks in advance!
Should be no limits on segments anymore

Anyway, find your routing first and then call AP to validate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.