Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton Hhonours Gold,
Originally Posted by Eternity000
I have a J-Class AE ticket booked for my mother with a return SYD-YVR-YYZ-YUL. The last segment YYZ-YUL is in economy though. There is a 3 hour or so layover in Toronto, so I am wondering if she will be able to access the maple leaf lounge as the ticket is in busines?
last time I gave them the previous segment boarding pass and they punch it in, no problem. In fact, I have done that a few times.^
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AC E50K
Thanks for the info!!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:16 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Eternity000
I have a J-Class AE ticket booked for my mother with a return SYD-YVR-YYZ-YUL. The last segment YYZ-YUL is in economy though. There is a 3 hour or so layover in Toronto, so I am wondering if she will be able to access the maple leaf lounge as the ticket is in busines?
Ask nicely. They have definitely done it for me (at YYC, while under capacity restrictions even) when I was domestic business to economy (single class of service aircraft).
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AP
Help with a multi-leg mini RTW reward

I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me if this would be a valid mini-RTW and doable on AP. How many AP miles in Biz or 1st class?

YYC - YOW - LGA -JFK -BRU - LHR - stop - LGW - IST - FRA - ICN - LAX - YVR - YYC.

Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:49 pm

I'm not an expert by any means, but geographically it is hard to see how JFK-BRU-LHR and IST-FRA-ICN can't be seen as back-tracking, which is against the "rules"...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
I'm not an expert by any means, but geographically it is hard to see how JFK-BRU-LHR and IST-FRA-ICN can't be seen as back-tracking, which is against the "rules"...
Thanks Hazcaddy.

I am stuck at the moment with the first part of this trip being YYC - YOW-LGA & JFK -BRU - LHR. I'm waiting on UA to make seats available to LGA/EWR or JFK to try reduce the mileage.

I say stuck, as the only way to reach the East coast was to use AC, then take SN to LHR, to avoid scamcharges.

I'd like to return to YYC, from Europe, going via ICN.
When I tried a Europe via ICN routing back to the West coast (LAX, SFO, SEA, YVR), I was told by the AP rep that the routing drastically exceeded the MPM.

I also tried eliminating the BRU-LHR flight, as I can easily use the Eurostar (& in combo with ICE trains, if needed to reach Germany).

I'm curious as to how others seem to have gotten this right.

Any help would be appreciated. I lurk a lot more than I post, I've read up on the mini RTW, so I am not sure what I am missing.

Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by harpool
Thanks Hazcaddy.

I am stuck at the moment with the first part of this trip being YYC - YOW-LGA & JFK -BRU - LHR. I'm waiting on UA to make seats available to LGA/EWR or JFK to try reduce the mileage.

I say stuck, as the only way to reach the East coast was to use AC, then take SN to LHR, to avoid scamcharges.

I'd like to return to YYC, from Europe, going via ICN.
When I tried a Europe via ICN routing back to the West coast (LAX, SFO, SEA, YVR), I was told by the AP rep that the routing drastically exceeded the MPM.

I also tried eliminating the BRU-LHR flight, as I can easily use the Eurostar (& in combo with ICE trains, if needed to reach Germany).

I'm curious as to how others seem to have gotten this right.

Any help would be appreciated. I lurk a lot more than I post, I've read up on the mini RTW, so I am not sure what I am missing.

Thanks.
Another beginner here. Do you have any stops other than LHR? JFK-BRU-LHR would be fine if you booked it as a single itinerary (not with a layover). Based on your example, it doesn't appear to include additional stops. Apologies if I'm wrong. You would need an Asia 1 stop to have any fighting chance. If you do have a stop in, for example, SIN, you'll need the heavier hitters than me! Right now you're trying for a Europe 1 region pass, but you need further...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by joeags
Another beginner here. Do you have any stops other than LHR? JFK-BRU-LHR would be fine if you booked it as a single itinerary (not with a layover). Based on your example, it doesn't appear to include additional stops. Apologies if I'm wrong. You would need an Asia 1 stop to have any fighting chance. If you do have a stop in, for example, SIN, you'll need the heavier hitters than me! Right now you're trying for a Europe 1 region pass, but you need further...
No, Joeags, LHR is the only stop.

The JFK-BRU-LHR is booked as a single itinerary (commencing in YYC, and via YOW and into LGA).

There was a 'problem' when I spoke to the AP rep to get the connection of flying into LGA and out of JFK to work, but after 2 hours, eventually they managed to get it right (at least, I was told it was booked, now just waiting on the ticket).
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me if this would be a valid mini-RTW and doable on AP. How many AP miles in Biz or 1st class?

YYC - YOW - LGA -JFK -BRU - LHR - stop - LGW - IST - FRA - ICN - LAX - YVR - YYC.

Thank you.
I dont think so. Your problem is that your only stop, and thus your turn, is LHR

LHR is too close to YYC to return via Asia using LHR as the turn for AP cost and MPM calculations. Its not even close. YYC-LHR on gcmap is 4372. The return trip via Asia is 15,500+ miles. There's no way that will work.

1. You need to add a stop somewhere much further from YYC than LHR. Stuff around the Indian Ocean coast might work for you, like DXB, DOH, JNB, SIN, BKK.

2. I think you will need to get rid of the LHR-IST-FRA round-a-bout. It will likely put you over whatever MPM is allowed from YYC to any of the above destinations in #1

I believe backtracking refers to explicitly visiting a city twice in one direction. I dont believe it has anything to do with geographical backtracking, altho geographical backtracking might waste a TON of mileage and put you way over.

something like this might work, and would cost 150K (Asia 1) in Business

YYC-YOW-LGA/JFK-BRU-LHR(stop)-IST-SIN(turn)-ICN-LAX-YVR-YYC

If you wanted to do LHR AP cost but go around the world in flights, i dont think its possible from YYC

Last edited by Cerenity; Nov 20, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Have you tried looking at routing YYC-ORD-Europe on United?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Have you tried looking at routing YYC-ORD-Europe on United?
Yes, YVRGary, I considered that option, however, I need to go through New York and have a few hours there.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 am

Let me put another question forward, related to flying via Asia.

If I wanted to book a flight from Europe to West coast North America, and fly a route via Asia (ICN, specifically), can I do that 1 way, for 72.5K/105k AP miles, depending on whether I find Biz or 1st class?

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:10 pm

Let me put another question forward, related to flying via Asia.

If I wanted to book a flight from Europe to West coast North America, and fly a route via Asia (ICN, specifically), can I do that 1 way, for 72.5K/105k AP miles, depending on whether I find Biz or 1st class?

Thanks.
no, since most likely you'd be over mpm.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Why write to me when i'm not in the country?

I'm halfway through my mini RTW award ticket. Called on 14th Nov to change a flight and paid using my debit card. Agent said ok and ticket was reissued without any problem with no additional fees other than the $90 change fee.

Now its obvious that I am not where my mailing address is (in UK) but am in Toronto. I even gave them my phone number, and they have another phone number on file, plus an email address which they sent the new itinerary and e-ticket info to.

But a friend in london, just emailed me to say that Aeroplan has sent me a letter to say that I owe them money on my account and that I have 10 days to pay up from date of letter (18th Nov).

Does it sound strange?

Why didn't they call or email me like they did when I had a schedule change?

If my cc didn't go through couldn't they have called? But didn't agent take authorisation beforehand? Ticket has been issued already.

If my friend wasn't housesitting for me, I wouldn't have gotten to know of the letter.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 26, 2014 at 9:03 am
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm halfway through my mini RTW award ticket. Called on 14th Nov to change a flight and paid using my debit card. Agent said ok and ticket was reissued without any problem with no additional fees other than the $90 change fee.

Now its obvious that I am not where my mailing address is (in UK) but am in Toronto. I even gave them my phone number, and they have another phone number on file, plus an email address which they sent the new itinerary and e-ticket info to.

But a friend in london, just emailed me to say that Aeroplan has sent me a letter to say that I owe them money on my account and that I have 10 days to pay up from date of letter (18th Nov).

Does it sound strange?

Why didn't they call or email me like they did when I had a schedule change?

If my cc didn't go through couldn't they have called? But didn't agent take authorisation beforehand? Ticket has been issued already.

If my friend wasn't housesitting for me, I wouldn't have gotten to know of the letter.
I actually got that letter too. I think there was a point where the payment system didn't work, because I changed an award where I already paid the change fee, only when to make a new reservation on my account they said I didn't pay the change fee, and my account was locked until I paid up. It's pretty ridiculous they're sending letters... I probably plan to dispute the charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.