Mini RTW Questions

Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Cruban
What do you mean by "cheaper"?
*not a real life example*

Just because ITA spits out YVR-HNL-NRT, it doesnt mean its a published routing.
The system may be combining two fares YVR-HNL, and HNL-NRT - because they are cheaper combined than a single YVR-NRT fare
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Gotcha, thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:11 am

so looks like EVA has indeed stopped showing North American routes further than 3 months out @@ like Lucky indicated on his blog

e.g. YYZ-TPE shows nothing on UA/Aeroplan beyond 2015 Jan, not even Y seats
Funny, CDG-TPE still shows both Y & J into Summer

This is gonna make booking for next summer tricky
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
There is a lot mentioning of published routing in this thread and forum. IN one of my bookings I was told by 2 reps that it does not apply to award tickets only rev tickets. However, on the third try I got it without the need to talk about it at all.
the computer should price it, regardless of what the agent says.

Originally Posted by Cruban
What do you mean by "cheaper"?
as mentioned upthread.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by jerryhung
so looks like EVA has indeed stopped showing North American routes further than 3 months out @@ like Lucky indicated on his blog

Frustrating! I've been looking for new return flights for my mini-rtw for Feb and there isn't a single EVA seat. This was on ANA, I didn't try anywhere else.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:48 pm

I have a YEG-YYZ that is the terminating flight of a much larger mini RTW... The flights where booked in Dec/13 before Australia went up. The flights are booked for Mid Nov... if I chose not to use this segment and rather use it in the future; how would I go about this?

Canceling it before would make the itinerary globally invalid; if I no show; can I call in and change it to a later useful date? If so; what would be the validity of this segment (ie; how far into the future can I move it?)... 1 year from booking; so Dec/14? The ticket was re-issued today if that makes any difference. (Schedule change)
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
I have a YEG-YYZ that is the terminating flight of a much larger mini RTW... The flights where booked in Dec/13 before Australia went up. The flights are booked for Mid Nov... if I chose not to use this segment and rather use it in the future; how would I go about this?

Canceling it before would make the itinerary globally invalid; if I no show; can I call in and change it to a later useful date? If so; what would be the validity of this segment (ie; how far into the future can I move it?)... 1 year from booking; so Dec/14? The ticket was re-issued today if that makes any difference. (Schedule change)
One year from your change in the future. So do the change during your last stop unless you have enough time in YEG to accomplish that. A change fee of 90+ will be charged.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by jerryhung

i first noticed this a month or two back, when they had availability up to May 1, 2015, but nothing further than that. It looks like its gotten even worse! We ended up changing our trip plan because of it, since one reason we included TPE as a stop was because its an attractive combination (price, quality of airline, and direct to/from YYZ)

Right now i'm aiming to book something like this in the next few weeks. I hope it is a valid trip! I think ICN is the furthest, according to gcmap, so it is the turn. I think it should be within MPM?

YYZ-JFK-ICN(turn)-PEK(stop)-IST-VIE(stop)-ZRH-YUL-YYZ

We're aiming to fly Asiana, Turkish and Swiss for the long hauls, to try to keep YQ fees reasonable, but also not waste too much time trying to avoid it.

i've checked out times and availability on ANA website, and i'll probably need to break it up into a placeholder booking to nab the OZ JFK-ICN and TK PEK-IST, with a dummy return. Then 2 month later, once LX releases, do a change and get the LX ZRH-YUL flight.

is this what you guys do to ensure they get the long hauls you need? in my case i think i see that OZ and TK release around 355, but LX doesnt release until ~300, which by then the OZ seats are at risk of disappearing

Last edited by Cerenity; Sep 12, 2014 at 8:14 am
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
One year from your change in the future. So do the change during your last stop unless you have enough time in YEG to accomplish that. A change fee of 90+ will be charged.
Cool; how long before the flight departs does the change need to be made?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity

YYZ-JFK-ICN(turn)-PEK(stop)-IST-VIE(stop)-ZRH-YUL-YYZ

is this what you guys do to ensure they get the long hauls you need? in my case i think i see that OZ and TK release around 355, but LX doesnt release until ~300, which by then the OZ seats are at risk of disappearing
You could go the other direction too, so you're looking at 330 LX and 355 OZ/TK which aligns a bit better.

Air China also flies PEK-VIE with very good availability (but not 7 days a week) and no surcharge, which then opens up the VIE-IST-YUL if it's under mpm, but there's very good availability there too. I booked VIE-PEK 8 months in advance easily, and could have booked YUL-IST with 3 months advance booking easily (but had problem finding IST-KUL connecting flight that left within 24 hours)
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Does anyone happen to know how far out LO, TK and/or LX start publishing J award seats?

Trying to book for myself and Mrs. YVRGary next September, and really hoping to avoid AC/LH metal.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:47 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
LO is 355 days out, TK might be +354.

2 seats not available in J on 01/09/15 or 02/09/15 YYZ-WAW LO or 01/09/15 YYZ-IST if that is what you are looking for.

YUL-IST TK in J available 01/09/15, this route usually has J available

No idea for LX sorry.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by crimsona
You could go the other direction too, so you're looking at 330 LX and 355 OZ/TK which aligns a bit better.

Air China also flies PEK-VIE with very good availability (but not 7 days a week) and no surcharge, which then opens up the VIE-IST-YUL if it's under mpm, but there's very good availability there too. I booked VIE-PEK 8 months in advance easily, and could have booked YUL-IST with 3 months advance booking easily (but had problem finding IST-KUL connecting flight that left within 24 hours)
i did indeed try the opposite direction, but i noticed it had a lot less availability. for example JFK-ICN seems to have more openings than ICN-JFK. ZRH-YUL seems to be better than YUL-ZRH.

LX out of YUL or BOS seems to only have Mon or Tues too, whereas coming back has a lot more selection in terms of which day of the week
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Cool; how long before the flight departs does the change need to be made?
I think 2 hrs before departure.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
i did indeed try the opposite direction, but i noticed it had a lot less availability. for example JFK-ICN seems to have more openings than ICN-JFK. ZRH-YUL seems to be better than YUL-ZRH.

LX out of YUL or BOS seems to only have Mon or Tues too, whereas coming back has a lot more selection in terms of which day of the week
I can agree with this regarding YUL-ZRH is a lot more difficult than ZRH-YUL. YUL-ZRH usually is fine for tue/wed/thurs however the other way most days of the week are doable. This is for someone who look at this route everyday for 'obvious reasons'. Also for some reasons Wednesday seems to be excellent for availability for all other swiss flights i.e. ZRH-JNB no seats at all not even 1 however every wednesday they will release at least 4 for no apparent reasons. There are multiple other examples as well…..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.