Mini RTW Questions

Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:37 pm

I've been having problems with Flisea showing it, but wondering if it's just timing out for intra Europe.

ANA showing 2 available JFK-BRU June 4, Aeroplan showing none, but Aeroplan CAN see BRU-JFK June 18...

Seems quite selective...

Last edited by crimsona; Sep 19, 2014 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:42 pm

After many months of reading posts on this forum, I've finally booked my first mini RTW trip

YYZ--NRT 5 day stopover
SIN--PVG open jaw 2 days in Singapore
PVG-SFO 12 hr layover
SFO-- YYZ

Including booking fee the total cost is $338.38

I just had a question about the 12 hr layover in San Francisco, I have a checked in and carry on luggage. Would I have to re check in once i get to San Fran or would it automatically be sent to my flight to Toronto?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Iceequeen
After many months of reading posts on this forum, I've finally booked my first mini RTW trip

YYZ--NRT 5 day stopover
PVG-SFO 12 hr layover
SFO-- YYZ

I just had a question about the 12 hr layover in San Francisco, I have a checked in and carry on luggage. Would I have to re check in once i get to San Fran or would it automatically be sent to my flight to Toronto?
Congrats! As SFO is your first point of entry into the US, you'd have to pick up and recheck your bags.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Carry them through customs, rather than pick them up, go outside, go to a checkin desk, etc, etc. So you can carry them over the line, then put them back on a belt and not have to worry about them for the remainder of the 12 hour layover.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:02 pm

nvm, all booked

Last edited by jerryhung; Oct 1, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Iceequeen

YYZ--NRT 5 day stopover
PVG-SFO 12 hr layover
SFO-- YYZ

Actually your route is not a RTW but rather a round trip ! For RTW you have to return via Europe.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Getting close to booking. When to purchase EF?

Originally Posted by cwhitt
After poring over the TPAC options all evening, the solution hit me in the head when I read my own message. I'll just book a TATL return to lock in my outbound segments with low YQ. If I can't get the BR Royal Laurel in J from TPE to YYZ at the appropriate time later on, no worries, I still have a great trip at a great price.

(...) I'm starting to think that no TPAC, YQ-free *A carrier releases J inventory at 11 months.
So I'm getting close to booking. As previously mentioned, I don't think I'll get J (or even Y) inventory on a YQ-free TPAC return at the start of the booking window. However, I think I will need to book my dummy return TPAC in order to secure the JNB-(HKG/BKK) segment.

So I'm considering booking a return with YQ and rolling the dice that I'll be able to change to my desired non-YQ option before the trip starts.

Is this standard practice? Am I taking a big chance?

I'm additionally constrained because there are a relatively small number of routings that fit within my MPM5, so getting *any* return TPAC routing when I want to do my initial booking may be tough.

It's a bit frustrating because at different times between t-356 and t-30 all the segments I want seem to have plenty of availability, but taken all together I may have a tough time locking in the ones that are available early in order to be able to complete the string once the rest open up later.

I'm already expected at least 1 or 2 change fees, and I'm starting to think that I'll just watch my outbound segments and hold off on booking as long as I can in hopes that a TPAC return opens up that isn't too horrible (allowing me to lock in the Africa-Asia segments I need until the BR J space on TPE-YYZ or -JFK opens up much later on).

Any hints?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Any hints?
Have you checked CA on PEK-IAH/LAX/SFO/JFK - they have an excellent YQ-free business class.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
CPT-JNB-???-YHZ

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Have you checked CA on PEK-IAH/LAX/SFO/JFK - they have an excellent YQ-free business class.
Yeah, I think only PEK-JFK would fit into my MPM5. Both CA and UA fly that route, but looking at August 2015 right now and not seeing any availability.

I just realized that what I'm seeing is limited by ANA tool (only looking to end-Aug 2015) when the AE website I found Y space in Sept 2015, so perhaps it will be possible for me to string it all together using PEK-(YYZ/JFK) in Y as my initial placeholder.

If I have to book PEK-JFK, then the UA direct to YHZ is from EWR - will a change of airport affect the legality of my award?

And on a related note: Seems like its time to sign up for either EF or KVS. It seems that EF doesn't show award availability for several airlines I need (SA, BR, UA, TG). Is there any other tool that will give me complete *A award visibility other than the Diamond KVS subscription?

Cheers,
C
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any other tool that will give me complete *A award visibility other than the Diamond KVS subscription?
united.com - all but ZH,AI,SQ

you are looking for blue - saver awards.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
united.com - all but ZH,AI,SQ

you are looking for blue - saver awards.
Huh, good to know. Maybe that could be added to the FAQ?

Also, just looking back to the FAQ and reading this:

One important piece of good news: Any connections that you do not explicitly schedule do not count against your miles. So if one of your legs is New York to Oslo, but there is no direct flight and there is a connection in Paris, you only count the miles between New York and Oslo. The fact that you have to take a detour to Paris does not count in the total miles used.
How can I tell when I do and don't count a connection in adding up my MPM5? Is it basically if there is a direct between A-B? In my case, my first leg is YHZ-YUL-IST, and there is no direct YHZ-IST. I could route through YUL, EWR, YYZ, LHR maybe others. Can I just count the YHZ-IST direct mileage? That seems generous.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Huh, good to know. Maybe that could be added to the FAQ?

Also, just looking back to the FAQ and reading this:

How can I tell when I do and don't count a connection in adding up my MPM5? Is it basically if there is a direct between A-B? In my case, my first leg is YHZ-YUL-IST, and there is no direct YHZ-IST. I could route through YUL, EWR, YYZ, LHR maybe others. Can I just count the YHZ-IST direct mileage? That seems generous.
Wait what? That's completely not right. Irrespective of whether you scheduled it or not, all segments add up and must be below MPM5.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Wait what? That's completely not right. Irrespective of whether you scheduled it or not, all segments add up and must be below MPM5.
Yeah, that seems more logical.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah that doesnt seem right. Would be interesting if actually true.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:54 pm

United.com also does NOT show SN availability (it does show LO now)

Yeah, BR not releasing any Y or J seats until 3 months out is affecting so many advanced flight bookings (myself included), despite EVAAir.com showing availability to its own members

I'm not sure how EF/KVS can help now, if you cannot book now
I've booked my May & August 2015 flights, with hope that I can "fix it" with only 1 change 3 months out (due to BR J), or "schedule change"

but I'm thinking of subscribing to something (EF or AwardNexus) to schedule email alert, just in case J opens up on my SN JFK-BRU (ANA shows it, Aeroplan does NOT...I should call in to ask for a "direct sell" I believe)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.