Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cerenity
You're using segment MPM distances to calculate whether you'd fit within MPM+5%, which i believe is not correct.
Fair enough.

So, to go back to the original question, how does this add up if I'm trying to go (for example) YVR-YUL-BRU on the outbound?

MPM5 for YVR-BRU is 6159, so if I've got this right:

YVR-YUL-ZRH-BRU exceeds MPM5 at 6331 actual miles flown, but should still work because there's no direct YUL-BRU routing, and MPM for the routing is calculated as if there were - as if I were flying YVR-YUL-BRU direct - and ignores the stop in ZRH?

In a perfect world, we're hoping to fly:

YVR-YYZ-WAW-BRU or YVR-YUL-ZRH-BRU outbound

and

ZRH-IST-YUL-YVR on the return

With 22 hours in WAW and 22 hours in IST.

Though I suppose if we throw a short BRU-ZRH regional leg in the middle, then it makes ZRH the POT and increases the MPM?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by yvrgary
YVR-YUL-ZRH-BRU exceeds MPM5 at 6331 actual miles flown, but should still work because there's no direct YUL-BRU routing, and MPM for the routing is calculated as if there were - as if I were flying YVR-YUL-BRU direct - and ignores the stop in ZRH?

AC flies direct YUL-BRU, soooooo

also
ZRH-IST-YUL-YVR will in no way be legal.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
AC flies direct YUL-BRU, soooooo

also
ZRH-IST-YUL-YVR will in no way be legal.
Ah, searched AC.com for YUL-BRU and only saw connection results, maybe the dates I searched were just full on direct.

I'm not surprised that ZRH-IST-YUL-YVR won't work, but I'd be curious to know why that's the case? Others have shown success booking comparable itineraries to Eastern Canada, is it the YVR leg that breaks MPM?

I ask as I'm in a situation where the difference in YQ, per ticket, between flying TK or LO out of the East, and flying LH or AC out of the West, would cover a Y revenue fare to Montreal with several hundred dollars to spare.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
MS or ET?

I need to make changes to an previously booked mini-rtw. What I mostly need is to change my return and I think I have that figured out. Though it includes an SQ flight from SIN-IST that shows available on ANA but not on aeroplan. I have a backup through CAN if that doesn't work though so that part is covered.

I would like to also change my outbound if possible. Not a lot of low YQ options for my preferred departure date (Dec 25). There were a couple of NY flights I was looking at but I lost the YOW-JFK/LGA availability. And there was YUL-ZRH on Dec 24 a couple of days ago but it went fast.

So now I am left with either YOW-YYZ-CAI-DXB-SIN-BKK or YOW-YYZ-ADD-DXB-SIN-BKK. 1 hour difference in the departure time from YOW and the same last 2 flights. My question is has anyone flown on the flights to CAI & ADD? ADD seems better with the 787 but I've never flown them. I did fly MS last year CAI-BKK and it was ok IMHO but not great so I'm leaning towards the ET flights.

I know it's a long trip, but leaving the 25th is much better than the dates I already have and it's not an easy time of year to find options!

Thoughts?

---------

Crap! I didn't think about mpm and I think the ADD route is over. Can anyone confirm? Any chance it would go through anyway or do they usually catch that?

Last edited by tryinginvain; Oct 23, 2014 at 7:55 pm Reason: MPM?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Ah, searched AC.com for YUL-BRU and only saw connection results, maybe the dates I searched were just full on direct.

I'm not surprised that ZRH-IST-YUL-YVR won't work, but I'd be curious to know why that's the case? Others have shown success booking comparable itineraries to Eastern Canada, is it the YVR leg that breaks MPM?

I ask as I'm in a situation where the difference in YQ, per ticket, between flying TK or LO out of the East, and flying LH or AC out of the West, would cover a Y revenue fare to Montreal with several hundred dollars to spare.
MPM5 ZRH-YVR is 6508 and routing through IST is 8197. The only way this would work would be if TK published a routing through IST - which they don't. They only publish a full Y/J/F fare that relies on MPM to get you there.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:39 pm

...but something like GVA-IST-YUL would work, as it's the YVR leg that puts it over?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:54 pm

...but something like GVA-IST-YUL would work, as it's the YVR leg that puts it over?
actually, yvr-zrh has the following published routing on tk:

YVR-AC/TK-YMQ/YTO-IST-ZRH
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Haven't checked GVA published routings, but that should be fine on TK.

Originally Posted by yerffej201
actually, yvr-zrh has the following published routing on tk:

YVR-AC/TK-YMQ/YTO-IST-ZRH
Yeah except he's asking about GVA, not ZRH But I suspect it should be identical.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Haven't checked GVA published routings, but that should be fine on TK.

Yeah except he's asking about GVA, not ZRH But I suspect it should be identical.
Since we'd be arriving in either by air from Munich, that's an easy change.

Thanks folks!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/00522.html
Section 74.05 of the Competition Act is a civil provision. It prohibits the sale or rent of a product at a price higher than its advertised price. The provision does not apply if the advertised price was a mistake and the error was immediately corrected.

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
But the error was NOT corrected. They issued your ticket and, essentially, sold you the good - and called you later to tell you they will be sending some heavies by to collect the difference. And once again, a reasonable person can assume that since your ultimate destination is CDG, well, that was the right price to pay.
I like you.
Currently writing a letter to AP.
Just spoke with a very senior AP rep about the letter I wrote.
She quoted AP Flight Reward T&C section 5.1
5.1. If any allowable stopover point is in a different region than the flight reward destination, the higher reward mileage level will apply.

However, she agreed that because of the sequence of events, I will get the reward at 90k. Ticket was reissued again and 60k aeroplans were dumped into my account.

I'm not going to push for a $16.70 refund for top-up miles .
Well I'm shocked.
A refund for $16.70 just appeared on my Amex.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:52 am

I'm currently in Beijing in the middle of a mini-RTW in J. I'm schedule to land in Frankfurt at 5:00 AM and then taking LHR to Amsterdam at 7:10 AM. What are the chances I can change my flight to one later in the day for free once I land at FRA? There is award space on flights at 9:00 AM and 12:30 AM on LHR.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by d00little
I'm currently in Beijing in the middle of a mini-RTW in J. I'm schedule to land in Frankfurt at 5:00 AM and then taking LHR to Amsterdam at 7:10 AM. What are the chances I can change my flight to one later in the day for free once I land at FRA? There is award space on flights at 9:00 AM and 12:30 AM on LHR.
LH wont touch it, they will tell you to get Aeroplan to reissue the ticket.
So you can do it for $102.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by d00little
For free? Zero in my opinion.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AC E50K
I have a J-Class AE ticket booked for my mother with a return SYD-YVR-YYZ-YUL. The last segment YYZ-YUL is in economy though. There is a 3 hour or so layover in Toronto, so I am wondering if she will be able to access the maple leaf lounge as the ticket is in busines?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Eternity000
I have a J-Class AE ticket booked for my mother with a return SYD-YVR-YYZ-YUL. The last segment YYZ-YUL is in economy though. There is a 3 hour or so layover in Toronto, so I am wondering if she will be able to access the maple leaf lounge as the ticket is in busines?
I think so. Call to verify. But then your mother can just show up there, nothing to loose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.