Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Stranger
850 canceled. Now rebooked on an LH flight to FRA on monday.

Even that does not look so good. Cloud looks like it's extending in all directions, except in the north?
878 (ZRH) has been nixed for tonight as well. I'm booked tomorrow, so I guess its hurry up and wait time. Otherwise, it looks like I'm stuck till Wed/Thur with a quick look at ExpertFlyer.

Andrew, thanks for the answers re: upguage. I work in an industry/role that involves crisis control mode pretty often (like about now, because the customer really needs me over there) so I get all brainstorm-y all quick-like.

I'm sure AC is doing everything they can to get people along their way, and all this is about keeping everyone safe. Thanks for that.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Great post CATGIRL! How did you use NEXUS to clear customs when you arrive from LHR??? I didn't know you can do that from European or international destinations!

Can someone please clarify?
All the NEXUS kiosks I've seen are placed just after the entrance to the customs hall. You simply go to a kiosk instead of going to a customs agent. It doesn't matter where your flight arrives from (at least in YUL). I've used NEXUS several times returning from countries other than the US (France, Cuba, Mexico, etc.).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:47 pm

Great post CATGIRL! How did you use NEXUS to clear customs when you arrive from LHR??? I didn't know you can do that from European or international destinations!

Yup, NEXUS is good for arrival in Canada from any destination, not just from the US.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G

At Canadian airports Nexus works regardless of what country you arrive from.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
I'm sure the Europeans will be feeling quite pleased with themselves as they start bankrupting airlines with this nanny state nonsense.
It won't be the passenger bill of rights that will bankrupt airlines, it'll be their inability to fly and earn revenue to pay the bills.

SK was already on the brink before the volcano erupted, would not be surprised to see them have to shut down if this lasts much longer.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Madrid or take a boat!

The fact of the matter is no one really knows how long the disruption is going to be due to:

a) the volcano still errupting
b) the wind direction

So if you have to get to Europe you are left with a few options

Madrid or Rome and take a train.

Alternative is take a cabin on a freighter! $85 a day, 3 meals and wine and will take about 6 days!

Did look at the QM2 but its full already!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

You can use NEXUS when you come back to Canada from ANY country. I clarified this several years ago when I first got my card. However, you can ONLY use it to go the US when you are entering from Canada.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by ffsim
All the NEXUS kiosks I've seen are placed just after the entrance to the customs hall. You simply go to a kiosk instead of going to a customs agent. It doesn't matter where your flight arrives from (at least in YUL). I've used NEXUS several times returning from countries other than the US (France, Cuba, Mexico, etc.).
Just to add:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...erien-eng.html

NEXUS members using the air mode of transportation can enter Canada using the self-serve kiosks regardless of where they are coming from.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Railroad flyer
So if you have to get to Europe you are left with a few options

Madrid or Rome and take a train.
My brother is stuck in BRU. His travel agent can get him home to YOW on Sunday or Monday on CO via EWR, but he has to get to BCN (or MAD) on his own. I spent an hour seraching train schedules for him.
--
13F
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:38 pm

BBC website:

BA has cancelled all Saturday flights in/out of LHR.
UK airtraffic controllers extend restrictions until 12h00 GMT Saturday.
--
13F
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: CM Gold, SK EB Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
My brother is stuck in BRU. His travel agent can get him home to YOW on Sunday or Monday on CO via EWR, but he has to get to BCN (or MAD) on his own. I spent an hour seraching train schedules for him.
--
13F
And how full are the trains? What's the prognosis?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by danielsan
The Eurrail website was off-line (overloaded?). Swiss Railways website worked well. I only tried searching timetables and not seats.

PS The Lyon Airport website crashed due to heavy traffic.
--
13F
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Do elite members get any advantages rebooking flights in this situation or is it pure first come first serve?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:51 pm

Cunard has a Southhampton - New York sailing on April 22!

It might do some of you point collecting road warriors good to slow down for a week and smell the roses!

Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by danielsan
It depends on the country and the route, but many trains are fully booked, as can be expected.

John Cleese took a taxi from Oslo to Brussels as he could get neither a bus or train ticket -- for €3700!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.