Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87
Costs to airlines,businesses and travelling public will be huge.
Already is. Mainly to airlines in Europe. But of course they are all suffering. Also to tourism, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Which is why I expect that some (reasonable?) work around will be found. We'll have to trust airlines that they will not take chances.

On the danger involved, I continue believing that there has to exist some middle ground such that the added risk is mainly limited to engine life.

We know of three incidents, BA, KL and NASA. None of these crashed. All suffered engine damage. These flew through an ash cloud that must have been pretty bad. Would we know that in some areas, while there is some ash, concentration is rather low, I would think these might be more or less OK.

We are now familiar with the three events. How many more times did a plane fly close to an ash cloud and that nothing happened?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FC0-CMN-YUL on Royal Air Maroc. It also flies from Milan-Linate if that airport is open.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:14 pm

If a flight cost has to be prorated to cover engine damage, how much will it cost per passenger? I think that's one main reason they aren't flying.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: *A
LY are flying to TLV from MAD, BCN, ATH, and FCO. From TLV you have many options to NA - AC being just one of them.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel
If a flight cost has to be prorated to cover engine damage, how much will it cost per passenger? I think that's one main reason they aren't flying.
Agreed. Tradeoff between money lost by not flying and money lost by wrecking engines, or at least shortening engine life by a potentially not insignificant amount.

The BA and KL cases are not all that significant in the sense that they likely went through a much worse cloud than what you have over most of Europe.

The NASA case is relevant. However, it was only because it was instrumented and they picked up the cloud that they went and checked the engines. That plane itself was never in any real danger. How many more times have commercial planes flown in similar clouds that no one ever noticed?

But some tough decisions ahead for sthe people involved...
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Stranger
As to whether these clouds are a real danger, I would think that the answer should not be black and white. Includes a good deal of "we don't know. Also a good deal of "they are very bad for the engines."

I would think, for instance, that if the cloud does not go above FL350, flying above should be OK as long as the concentration at lower levels is not too bad and there is an alternate that can take the plane. In an emergency, the engines might get ruined, but it's not like they'll stop working alltogether.
Did you look at this?
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-volcanic.html

I don't think there is any guarantee that engines won't stop altogether. Maybe the chances are better -- but would you like to take a chance? I don't think there are enough parachutes for all the pax.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
We know of three incidents, BA, KL and NASA. None of these crashed. All suffered engine damage. These flew through an ash cloud that must have been pretty bad. Would we know that in some areas, while there is some ash, concentration is rather low, I would think these might be more or less OK.

We are now familiar with the three events. How many more times did a plane fly close to an ash cloud and that nothing happened?
Four incidents -- the Finnish Air Force F-18 as well (see link I have posted previously).

Two of them (BA and KL) lost engine power completely and dropped several miles before being able to restart them -- they survived simply because they were at a high enough altitude.

The F-18 didn't completely lose power but suffered substantial engine damage.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by servus
At the moment Madrid and Barcelona, oh and Nice
Barcelona and Nice are at significant risk of being closed as well, depending on the wind patterns. Madrid and Lisbon would be lower-risk options.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomh009
Did you look at this?
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-volcanic.html

I don't think there is any guarantee that engines won't stop altogether. Maybe the chances are better -- but would you like to take a chance? I don't think there are enough parachutes for all the pax.
Yes, I had seen these.

They must have been in a pretty dense cloud. Before it had a chance to spread hence lower the concentration. Also, fighter planes are a different animal. Different tradeoffs. Their turbine is designed to operate at a much higher temperature hence a much shorter life.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

850 now canceled. I doubt LH will operate 494/495 on Monday either.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Keep in mind that civilian traffic + volcanic ash has 2 possible consequences:

1) As others have pointed out, engine damage could be very costly.

2) Most importantly, what if an airplane crashes because the engines give out and can't be restarted in time? The human tragedy for something that's arguably avoidable would be incalculable.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Some suggestions I came up with for a friend - have not cross-checked these are and will continue operating tomorrow, though:

Delta from Athens to NYC
Royal Air Maroc from Casablanca to Montreal or New York
EgyptAir from Cairo to New York
Emirates reports it is still flying to Moscow, Athens, Larnaca, Malta, Istanbul; then from Dubai to North America (note Etihad appears to have cancelled flights)
Continental from Lisbon to EWR (and to Casablance for RAM above)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
2) Most importantly, what if an airplane crashes because the engines give out and can't be restarted in time? The human tragedy for something that's arguably avoidable would be incalculable.
Obviously.

My point remains that in a large fraction of the current cloud area that's closed that would be extremely unlikely.

Granted, LHR is probably going to be out of bounds for a while.

Interestingly NCE is still open although it is well within the cloud. To see the cloud as per the UK simulation:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...1271545732.png
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incidentally the edge of the cloud (as per the simulation) should not be very far from NFL. It seems the wind is pushing it closer.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lisbon to Toronto tomorrow one way EUR 2749 is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.