Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Why is there more upgrade space on YWG-YVR flight vs YOW-YWG fligtht - Feb 11.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Why is there more upgrade space on YWG-YVR flight vs YOW-YWG fligtht - Feb 11.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Why is there more upgrade space on YWG-YVR flight vs YOW-YWG fligtht - Feb 11.

The 3 of us are going to YVR from YOW via YVR. I booked this route, because it was the cheapest available (in terms of tango plus fares) on Jan 1The opening Olympic ceremonies are on Feb 12.

At the 1 week SE window of upgradeability: the AC 1103 (E75 jet) (first segment) had J4C4D4Z4 and R1 space, while AC 299 (E90 jet) (second segment) had J5C5D5Z5 and R4 space. Today, the respective flights have J3COD0ZORO space, and the second flight has J1C1D1Z1R1 space. From expertflyer.com, I see availability with K booking codes and higher on the first flight, and H booking codes on the second flight (ie according to my calculations, the second flight has fewer percentage of unbooked economy class seats, than the first flight).

With all of the above information, I would have thought that the route controller would have allowed for more upgrade availability on the first flight, compared to the second flight. In fact, we see the reverse situation, in terms of upgrade availability.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:53 pm

The "route controller" works full-time trying to defeat those booking the cheapest fares & upgrading. And in this case, wins!

I wouldn't expect the algorithm used to be transparent, even when inspecting seatcounter or other availability tools.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:18 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by jjclancy
The "route controller" works full-time trying to defeat those booking the cheapest fares & upgrading. And in this case, wins!

I wouldn't expect the algorithm used to be transparent, even when inspecting seatcounter or other availability tools.
+1
But that doesn't make it any less interesting as a puzzle. Might the algorithm also take into account the total number of seats to those destinations that day? Lots of extra flights into YVR that day (from various origins); business as usual into YEG that day - so if a big spender or dignitary needs a J ticket to YVR from points east, AC will have an easier time to accommodate them, thereby justifying increasing R on this flight? Just guessing.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:08 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Hmm.. YOW-YWG and YWG-YVR are two completely different markets (in terms of demand, type of pax, fare types pax usually purchase); so one cannot just make assumptions like the OP. Otherwise, we'll just need 1 route controller to manage our entire system?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Hmm.. YOW-YWG and YWG-YVR are two completely different markets (in terms of demand, type of pax, fare types pax usually purchase); so one cannot just make assumptions like the OP. Otherwise, we'll just need 1 route controller to manage our entire system?
My point being, that taking account the Olympics tomorrow - the YWG-YVR flight would have a higher demand for the business class cabin, compared to the YOW-YWG flight. I believe I am right - the YWG-YVR is all zeroed out in terms of business class (as of 1 minute ago); the YOW-YWG flight shows J2C1D1Z1R1 as of 1 minute ago.

Perhaps, the second flight usually tends to have a lower demand for business class seats than the first flight - as you have implied above. However, as tomorrow is the first day of the Olympics, I am not suprised that the incoming flight to YVR would have all business class seats all taken - by people with revenue or upgraded tickets (and perhaps award tickets as well).

But I guess that you are saying that a different route controller likely managed each of the 2 flights; it was each's call as to how to individually assign "R" space - perhaps if one route controller had dealt with both flights, the "R" space would have been assigned differently.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My point being, that taking account the Olympics tomorrow - the YWG-YVR flight would have a higher demand for the business class cabin, compared to the YOW-YWG flight. I believe I am right - the YWG-YVR is all zeroed out in terms of business class (as of 1 minute ago); the YOW-YWG flight shows J2C1D1Z1R1 as of 1 minute ago.

Perhaps, the second flight usually tends to have a lower demand for business class seats than the first flight - as you have implied above. However, as tomorrow is the first day of the Olympics, I am not suprised that the incoming flight to YVR would have all business class seats all taken - by people with revenue or upgraded tickets (and perhaps award tickets as well).

But I guess that you are saying that a different route controller likely managed each of the 2 flights; it was each's call as to how to individually assign "R" space - perhaps if one route controller had dealt with both flights, the "R" space would have been assigned differently.
FGII - you won't succeed at getting Andrew or anyone else to explain their inventory management algorithms. You can bet AC has far more (relevant, actionable) information on demand than you ever will. You're second-guessing their decisions based on the faint shadow of information that is the public seat availability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.